San Francisco Chinatown

bunzini

cannery row is in Monterey.... We have a building called the Cannery...next to Ghirardelli Square and Aquatic park.

you can take the hyde street cable car from northern waterfront...more handy to the ship is the embarcadero california cable car line.

the $14 pass is good for all day and it includes all buses, trolly cars and cable cars. It does not include any BART (train) rides. You can just buy the pass on the cable car from the driver.

Cable cars are now $6 for a single trip (I believe a day pass is $14)

Hey bunzini my name is Parker and I recently moved to San Francisco. I would definitely recommend renting bikes to explore the city when you ported in San Francisco. San Francisco is an incredibly bike friendly city and you will easily be able to visit Chinatown along with any other places you want to see. My girlfriend and I love biking the Golden Gate Bridge and we try to do it at least once every week as long as work doesn't get in the way:) I'm not quite sure the best place to rent a bike is in terms of price. However, I've been using http://www.rentcycle.com because you can compare all the bike rental shops by prices, and can streamline the delivery to your location. You can also see what other users say about the different bike companies, which can be helpful. (I've met my fair share of charismatic bike shop owners) :p

I wouldn't rent bikes to get to Chinatown though. Unless you're used to riding in traffic chocked streets, both cars and pedestrians, I wouldn't do it. I highly recommend the F line suggestions. The street car will go straight up Market Street which has some great old buildings and you'll be able to walk through Union Square too on your way to Chinatown.

Just walking down Grant Street in Chinatown is fun. On the right hand side of the street is a hole in the way Chinese restaurant called Snow Garden. The food is awesome and the prices are great. Their orange peel chicken is amazing.

Also, there are tons of tea tasting places that are fun. If there is an empty seat at the counter, take a seat and you'll get to sample tons of loose leaf Chinese teas.

Also, the Chinese Fortune Cookie factory in Ross Alley is fun. You can watch people make the fortune cookies (pretty labor intensive actually). As you're walking down Grant, look up to your left and you'll see a system of pedestrian only alley ways called Waverly and Ross and so on. They are half way between Grant and Stockton. You may think these alleys feel dangerous, but you're completely safe. Plus you'll see more of the everyday shops that serve the Chinese population that lives in San Francisco.

Enjoy!!

MsBlues: "I wouldn't rent bikes to get to Chinatown though. Unless you're used to riding in traffic chocked streets, both cars and pedestrians, I wouldn't do it."

Good point MsBlues, I forgot about all the traffic! If you want to rent bikes I would definitely stick to either the Marina District or Fisherman's Wharf.

MsBlues: "I wouldn't rent bikes to get to Chinatown though. Unless you're used to riding in traffic chocked streets, both cars and pedestrians, I wouldn't do it."

Good point MsBlues, I forgot about all the traffic! If you want to rent bikes I would definitely stick to either the Marina District or Fisherman's Wharf.

A bike ride down to Fisherman's Wharf would be fun though. Maybe I'll do that next time I am in the City.

MS Blues if you are thinking about biking in San Francisco I would only recommend one place, The Golden Gate Bridge! You are right about biking to Chinatown or anywhere in the downtown area, it is really dangerous even for experienced bikers:) But biking the bridge is a once in a lifetime experience that is absolutely breathtaking.

Seems like there is a lot of talk about bikes in this thread. If you are thinking about renting a bike in Sf I would check out this tripadvisor link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c134705/San-Francisco:California:Biking.The.Golden.Gate.html

It gives a very unbiased account of all the top bike rental and ferry companies.

Archived