Wheelchair Backpack, tell me about a good one

44minimum

I'm going to need one that is fairly large to put on the back of my power chair. We tend to cram a lot of stuff in it and I would like to get one that has zippers on the pockets in order to make it more difficult for pickpockets and thieves to get into quickly. I like to hear your suggestions. Thanks

We use a backpack for jackets, water, and lunch supplies, but never for wallets or valuables. In many locations pickpockets just slice the fabric with a razor blade to get access, so zippers won't slow them down much.

I recommend a fanny pack, but keep in in the front (on your abdomen). For the wheelchair we also use an underseat bag like this one, which is nearly impossible for someone to get to without you seeing them.

http://www.advantagebag.com/wheelchair_downunder_bags.htm

Advantage makes very good bags. I have also modified large purses to use as backpacks, and the ones that are 'high security' for travel such as you can find at Magellan, Norm Thompson or other travel product sites work well.

I bought a backpack that was specially designed for wheelchairs, but we rarely use it, as it's small. We usually just use a regular backpack. As Splinter said, don't put valuables in there, or else make sure the companion/pusher gets the backpack off each time they step away from the chair. Basically, anything behind your back isn't safe from thieves, unless it's protected by a pusher.

I'm going to need one that is fairly large to put on the back of my power chair. We tend to cram a lot of stuff in it and I would like to get one that has zippers on the pockets in order to make it more difficult for pickpockets and thieves to get into quickly. I like to hear your suggestions. Thanks

This is not meant to be lecture but it's something that one in a wheelchair and or scooter needs to consider.

Having many police officers in my family, I'm told to never use a back pack on my scooter or place anything on the back of my seat. Think about it you're already more vunerable being in a wheelchair which makes you an easy target.

• All the zippers on pockets isn't going to stop anyone if they really want it. So if you decide to use a back pack don't be lured into false security because it has zippered pockets.
  • As the previous posted stated pick pockets can and do just slice them . However the back pack placed behind the seat back is positioned lowered and makes slicing the bottom more difficult. So instead you're more vulnerable to be a victim of a "snatch and grab" regardless that it's strapped on. As a result it places you at risk for being injured and your power scooter at risk for being damaged.

Friends and family always want to pile the back of my scooter with things they themselves don't want to carry. I do not carry anything that I can not visibly see at all times. I never place anything on the back of my scooter as it's out of my control. But that's just me.

Chairs can be so different, I suggest you go to a sporting goods store and look and try them out on your chair. I second the comment about not putting anything of value in one. The fanny pack works well when you are sitting or standing. If your backpack is only used for jackets, snacks etc. you might think about a cheap one from Walmart or Kmart, they do tend to get beat up a bit on the back of the chair. Lots of zippers and pockets can just make it harder to find what you want, and don't offer any real security.

Well I wouldn't say that we make a habit of keeping valuables in it but I always carry a gerber multi tool, a set of metric and American Allen wrenches and a few other tools in it. I also keep a small flashlight for emergencies, an empty water bottle in case we are in a movie theater or somewhere and I don't want to leave the movie just to go empty my leg bags. And I have probably a couple of dollars in change, usually a towel or wash rag, maybe a book or map or assorted little crap like that that tends to accumulate wherever there is space. I'm sure that on any shore excursion there would be several bottles of water put in there. I would rather not lose my tools, but other than that, I wouldn't really care.

I use an Air Lift 70N Scooter Back Pack. It fits on scooters and power chairs up to 22 inches wide. It has zipper across the top and also on the side. I've used mine for about five years for a jacket or sweater, my charger, and misc. "stuff"..............nothing valuable. It has a mesh stretchy envelope like THING that fits down over the seat back and straps to adjust the tightness on the chair. I just ordered a new one. I love mine, and it would definitely take some time for someone to cut it off without me noticing. I would hate to lose my charger, but everything is not valuable and replaceable. I've had it many times on airplanes, just leaving it on the seat while they put scooter underneath. TSA often take it off and run it through the xray............and I think that's how it has finally gotten stretched out. It doesn't come off, it just looks rather disreputable now. It comes in navy or red. It cost around $45 online.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you check out a company called pacsafe, they do all sorts of security luggage and accessories. One of these is a kind of webbing that is slashproof that you put over your backpack. As with all security stuff, it will not only make is more awkward for pickpockets, but for you as well, but may help to give you more peace of mind.

Archived