Problem with Ship pictures

harry

Sorry, not a problem with photographers. In fact they do a nice job on the portrait pictures. And I dont think they are too intrusive. Forget the fact that a single portrait picture should not be 15 bucks. I'd buy more if they were cheaper.

My problem is the weird size of the pictures. Why does every cruise ship insist on the very odd size of 6x8???

3.5x 5

5x8

or 8x10...these are normal sizes

No one ever asks for a 6x8. Do these ships know the problems in finding a frame?

Also why not save money. Since they are digital lets put you cabin number and bring up the picture. The pictures would look vibrant on the screen and people would be even more prone to buy. If you want it then you request the size and its done. After they take the pics off the wall it takes forever to find them.

6x8 really is annoying

We bought photos on the Grand a few weeks ago, and all but 1 were 8x10. The 1 was a 5x7. 6x8 is not as common, but it is available. Either that or you can get a mat cut, and put it in a larger frame. I've found craft stores pretty cheap for mat cutting. Scrapbook stores might be good too.

• 5 months later...

it's the ratio from the digital cameras. Prints are 6x8 due to the number of pixels, etc and that is why you are seeing this size. There should be more and more 6x8 frames becoming available to shift with this change from film to digital.

This is by no means the complete, scientic answer but close enough for all of us to understand :D

Denise

http://www.pbase.com/dchip

My new Sony digital camera will take pictures in the usual 2:3 ration that is the traditional size for photos. But I'm sure you guys are correct in thinking that is why the photos are the so far unusual size of 6x8. I'm sure we'll be seeing alot more 6x8 frames in the future.

Photos look better with a mat, IMHO, so if you use an 8x10 frame which is readily available, and a 2" mat, you have it! But, there is usually some extra garbage in the photo and cutting to a smaller size is the best option, then mat.

I resent the outrageous price for each photo, then they end up tossing them in the trash, so I very rarely buy any - my form of protest. Digital "home" shots are just fine with me - I've asked many a pax passing by to snap our pic with our camera. And then offer to return the favor. So, unless I have a complimentary photo from the TA I don't buy ship's photos anymore.

Archived