Track Cruise Ship Online

journey2002

Can someone help me? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but we can't find it after a quick search and we are leaving in 30 mins for our cruise (YAY!!!!!!)

What is the best way to track the cruise ship online? I have a 7 year old at home who would love to see where we are in the ocean if possible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Carnival Triumph doesn't have a webcam on the ship

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH - AIS page when it's in a coverage area of MarineTraffic.com

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=308045000

Cruise Ships Tracking by AIS. (AIS Links to each cruise ship)

http://shiptrackingais.blogspot.com/p/cruiseshipstrackingais.html

MarineTraffic AIS

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Most ships can't be tracked once you're some distance from port. The traking systems rely on VHF signals at about 162 mHz which makes them pretty much line of site systems. Once they get out beyond perhaps 20 miles or so the signal is lost and sites like vesselfinder.com and marinetraffic.com lose the ships.

Most ships have a map somewhere on the Promenade that will allow you to get a good idea of where you are... Here's one from the Dream sailing from New York!!!

Dream353.jpg

and one from the Ecstasy as we were getting ready to set sail from Galveston...

Ecstasy091.jpg

:)

There is a smart phone app called Ship-mate that tracks cruise ships from multiple lines. It is a $1.99 from the itunes store.

The position of the ship is an estimate based on the itinerary, time of departure and such... It's not GPS tracked or anything of that nature...

Edit... apparently when they are in range of the system I mentioned above they do use that data but once out of range the position is an estimate.

Using the above trackers it shows the Paradise leaving Tampa yesterday and that is all the information that it shows.

Using my Shipmate app on my Android phone it shows the Paradise to be close to Georgetown Grand Cayman.

If you haven't tried the Shipmate app I suggest giving it a try.

It's a great app but as I mentioned above the locations are estimates. I've got it on my 'droid and when the Conquest had to reroute due to nasty weather last fall Shipmate showed it exactly where it should be... if it hadn't gone somewhere else.

It's not really a big deal... it's just not as accurate as one might expect.

It's a great app but as I mentioned above the locations are estimates. I've got it on my 'droid and when the Conquest had to reroute due to nasty weather last fall Shipmate showed it exactly where it should be... if it hadn't gone somewhere else.

It's not really a big deal... it's just not as accurate as one might expect.

I never really thought about that! It would be accurate most of the time if it just plotted the normal course of the ship. Pretty clever if that is what they are doing!

Archived