When to call car rental place?

SoBaycruiser

I've read a lot of threads about car rental and many recommendations for Thrifty. We are thinking of renting at both Hilo and in Kuaui. To get the shuttle pickup at the cruise terminal, do you have to call to make the reservation and tell them you want pickup at the terminal? Or do you make the reservation on the internet for the airport and then call to arrange pickup? I prefer to evaluate the options on the internet first.

This seems like such a trivial task but it has been confusing me to no end. Also does Thrifty not charge you if the ship cannot dock?

Thanks,

Rita

Yes there are lots of threads about this. There will be shuttles waiting, when you get off the ship. You don't have to call them.

Yu don't provided credit card info when you book car rentals. They won't be able to charge if the ship doesn't dock at the port.

Most if not all car rental companies are located in the same area, they all run their shuttles to the pier approx every 15 min.

Don't leave your ental to last minute because they all have limited cars.

We did this cruise in January b2b and often ran into people in the line up approaching the different shuttles and asking if they knew if there were any vehicles and they wereall told nothing available.

Book on line asap and cancel up to the last day if you have to.

I've read a lot of threads about car rental and many recommendations for Thrifty. We are thinking of renting at both Hilo and in Kuaui. To get the shuttle pickup at the cruise terminal, do you have to call to make the reservation and tell them you want pickup at the terminal? Or do you make the reservation on the internet for the airport and then call to arrange pickup? I prefer to evaluate the options on the internet first.

This seems like such a trivial task but it has been confusing me to no end. Also does Thrifty not charge you if the ship cannot dock?

Thanks,

Rita

I rented Budget at Hilo, Alamo at Kaanapali and found the best prices at the American Airlines website. Booked Hertz at Lihue. Alamo was the only one that told me to phone when we arrive. But then she also said the shuttles run frequently.

Book as soon as possible, the cars book up fast.

Archived