A question or two ...

Talus731

I know this is the scuba and snorkel board but from what I understand the rules are the same for the most part in snuba, sea-trek and B.O.S.S.

Back in October 2010 hubby and I had plans for the sea-trek in cabo. Or B.O.S.S. one or the other. Things happened that summer and I need minor surgery, two months before we went. When we filled out the medical questioner I was denied due to my recent surgery. We were disappointed, but understood.

In October 2011 we booked another cruise, YAY! We were looking at beginning scuba, B.O.S.S and the rest of the underwater excursions. As luck would have it, bad luck I mean. I ended up having surgery AGAIN in Janurary. Our cruise isn't til November, so approx. 10 months after. Will I be denied again for any of these excursions, or will enough time passed.

Just looking for some information before I get my heart set, and book. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn't lie on the form for something like surgery. I think they are worried about the pressure affecting it. Just ask your doctor to sign the diving waiver before you leave and bring it with you. This would solve the issue for beginner scuba diving, I'm not sure about snuba and other underwater activities.

Here is the form:

http://www.americanprodiving.com/Padi_forms/medical.pdf

I concur - ask your doctor. If the doctor gives the OK I either take a signed release or just answer the question as he tells me ..... that is if the Dr says you have no worries from the (minor) surgery, I'd just answer no. Or, if my hypertension is managed by drugs then one taking my bp does not see hypertension and the answer is no high bp - IF the Dr says OK . . .

• 3 weeks later...
I concur - ask your doctor. If the doctor gives the OK I either take a signed release or just answer the question as he tells me ..... that is if the Dr says you have no worries from the (minor) surgery, I'd just answer no. Or, if my hypertension is managed by drugs then one taking my bp does not see hypertension and the answer is no high bp - IF the Dr says OK . . .

What is a "Golden Dragon", I know what Shellback is and can guess the Bering Sea winter vet, but Golden Dragon that is a new one to me?

thanks

Bushy

What is a "Golden Dragon", I know what Shellback is and can guess the Bering Sea winter vet, but Golden Dragon that is a new one to me?

thanks

Bushy

Shellback = crossing the equator

Domain of the Golden Dragon = crossing the international date line

goldendragon.jpg

Emerald Shellback = crossing the equator at 0 longitude

Golden Shellback = crossing the equator at the 180 aka dateline

and many others .. see http://www.usni.org/store/certificates

I have always wondered about how to answer the high blood pressure question if it is managed by meds. Will they deny you the right to dive if you check the box and list the BP Med on the form?

I have always wondered about how to answer the high blood pressure question if it is managed by meds. Will they deny you the right to dive if you check the box and list the BP Med on the form?

can say it always happens

but I have certainly seen it happen

Yep, very good chance you would be denied.

The first time I dived on a cruise (my seventh dive), I listed my thyroid medication, which is a very low potency, and the Fosamax I was taking at the time for bone loss. The DM who was checking us in got all flustered and kept asking if it were for diabetes? She was a real airhead and kept insisting it was for diabetes even after I explained what they were for several times. Finally, she called another DM at their shop who was a physician and he set her straight. She wasn't going to let me dive. From that point on, I never listed my prescriptions.

Oh yeah, I ran into her last year while diving at that port and she's still an airhead. ;)

We were denied discover scuba 2 years ago when i answered yes to lung problems for my son "ever had a collapsed lung" he did, at birth 14 years earlier and never needed medical attention beyond being on oxygen, not a respirator, just the tubes they out under your nostrils, and this was for less than 24 hours. Denied......this past year he was certified, his doctor filled out the OK to dive at that time, there have been no changes to his health, I'll just answer all questions as needed to make sure he dives. I had my own health scare earlier this month and asked 3 doctors if i was safe to dive all three said yes.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

We were denied discover scuba 2 years ago when i answered yes to lung problems for my son "ever had a collapsed lung" he did, at birth 14 years earlier and never needed medical attention beyond being on oxygen, not a respirator, just the tubes they out under your nostrils, and this was for less than 24 hours. Denied......this past year he was certified, his doctor filled out the OK to dive at that time, there have been no changes to his health, I'll just answer all questions as needed to make sure he dives. I had my own health scare earlier this month and asked 3 doctors if i was safe to dive all three said yes.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

Uh.... Yikes!

Not picking on your exactly, BeckyMax. Glad things have worked out for you.

For anyone else who may be considering scuba and has a history of collapsed lung:

Any history of prior spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung) should be evaluated by a physician familiar with dive medicine. Period. There is potential for fatal complications while scuba diving.

from Diver's Alert Network FAQ

Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Medical literature does not support scuba diving with a history of spontaneous pneumothorax: The condition is a definite contraindication to diving

Pneumothorax & Its Consequences

A spontaneous pneumothorax can occur in an apparently healthy person with no warning. This is due to a defect in the lung which may be congenital or may have appeared later in life. The recurrence rate of this type pneumothorax is high, and for that reason these individuals are usually advised not to dive. The risk is that a spontaneous pneumothorax might occur while diving, resulting in a closed air space which could not be equalized as the diver ascends. The resulting expansion of this air space with decreasing ambient pressure would interfere with the function of the heart and the other lung, with possible disastrous consequences.

Pneumothorax which results from an injury (ie shooting, stabbing, broken rib, etc) must be carefully evaluated to determine whether diving is advisable.

Just lying and marking "no" on a medical questionnaire that asks about prior history of pneumothorax is borderline suicidal (IMHO) if you have not been properly evaluated by a competent physician familiar with dive medicine.

Many physicians are not familiar with how scuba diving affects the human body. The Diver's Alert Network maintains a referral network. Anyone can call DAN +1-919-684-2948 or send them an email to request assistance with a physician referral for a scuba diving related medical question. You don't even have to be a member of DAN!

Disclaimer: Divers Alert Network (DAN) is a nonprofit, 501©(3) dive safety organization. DAN's mission is to help divers in need of medical emergency assistance and to promote dive safety through research, education, products and services.

Based out of the Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Duke University, DAN is generally regarded within the diving community to be the premier resource for all things medical related to scuba diving.

Thanks for the link, I'll call them about a dive doctor referral, to make double sure he is safe to dive. but in the meantime he has had numerous physicals over the years and received clearance from his doc in October before his checkout dives. I don't feel it is necessary to have a medical exam before every dive when there have been no changes in his medical history, particularly a discover scuba dive. It was not a spontaneous collapse, there was reason for it, namely he was a 8 1/2 baby that didn't fit into the tight birth canal of my 120lb frame and had to be twisted and turned with a suction cup stuck to his head. The situation resolved itself within 24 hours, without intervention other than additional oxygen to supplement what he was breathing on his own. I certainly would not advise anyone to ignore a potential threat, our situation has already been addressed.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

Archived