Have you cruised to Greece lately?

Artemis908

My father in law is making me alittle paranoid talking about riots in Greece. I am not even going to Greece until May, but I assured him that if there was a problem perceived as dangerous then RCI would not dock there. I am wondering if anyone has recently been to Athens with RCI or maybe heard anything.

Was in Athens on Navigator in September. We took a ship excursion, part of which included the Plaka area. I think there were some demonstrators around the downtown, but we only drove by that area. It didn't seem the Acropolis was in an area where rioters would go, but who knows?

I think safety wise you will be o.k.

But, the problem in Greece will be Government/City workers striking.

Everyone is on edge and really not going to be so friendly.

If you must go, I would do ship sponsored excursions only.

We did a port stop in Athens in November [last Med cruise B2B with a TransAtlantic]. Things were quiet and we wandered around on our own. But some days are "more interesting" than others. If things look nasty your ship may skip Athens entirely or [less likely] reschedule for another day. You are correct that the cruise line will generally err on the side of safety; dumping travelers into a dangerous locale is not good for business.

Thom

We were in Athens/Greece in June 2011. We took a taxi to the Acropolis then walked all over the downtown area, had lunch at a sidewalk cafe on the ped zone, etc. There were protestors at the govenment offices/parliment making their noise - but no encounters with any violence. In fact we mentioned to ourselves, it was nice to see protesting that wasn't aimed at anti-American messages. (Just kidding - but we were very very safe or we wouldn't have been walking around as we take safety very serious.) All people we encountered were very friendly and, again, we felt no personal threat. Hope this helps.

Archived