Booking threw NCL vs a TA

Jasalth

Hello all!

With their new sail going on, I am ready to book my first cruise ever on NCL!!

Now here is my real question. What does booking threw a TA limit you with on NCL? I know I can't call up NCL and ask questions or change booking information at all. But can I go to the NCL web site and do things like excursions (only one I want to do threw NCL so..), Bon Voyage gifts and such?

I still have to clear booking with my husband (It's Valentines Day.. honey I know what I want now!!) but I should be booking tonight or tomorrow. I am so excited now I just need to know what my booking options are with what I want to be able to do with my reservation!

I

We use TA because we get OBC, and we are still able to book excursions online in our NCL reservation (or any other line). I believe ordering stuff online option is there as well.

Have fun!

Thank you so much I just wanted to be sure I could do those things! I am so excited now as I work from home and since our last cruise haven't had the motivation, and I want that motivation back!

I have already figured the OBC that NCL is giving right now ($450) + anything from a TA will cover almost everything we want to do on board. It's hard passing that much up when we are generally "cheap" cruisers w/o spending much money at all!

How far out is your cruise?

If your main reason for using a TA is promos/OBC, one option is to book with NCL direct initially, giving you more flexibility to cancel or make changes without having to worry about TA cancellation penalties. You can transfer to a TA later.

How far out is your cruise?

If your main reason for using a TA is promos/OBC, one option is to book with NCL direct initially, giving you more flexibility to cancel or make changes without having to worry about TA cancellation penalties. You can transfer to a TA later.

TA's tend to give more OBC's when you book expensive categories.

If you want a less expensive category such as a balcony or an inside, booking with a TA will give a small OBC, which I don't find worth the uncertainty.

The cruise is pretty far out, right now we are looking at Nov 20, 2013. But one of the reasons for this is we are going for a Suite this time. Also it will be a month after my husbands 2 year anniversary with his new company, which gives him 80 hours of vacation time.

Yeah it isn't a cheap cruise which is one of the reason I am looking at a TA. I have always booked before with just the cruise line, because the extra $100 or so wouldn't be worth it to look around and find the best price. Right now though with the sale we are getting $450 OBC from NCL, and I have one company offering me $500 and one $600 on top of that. Really hard to pass up the deposit and insurance cost in OBC for this sale right now!

Thank you all for your help! Now just to pick the right TA for me in 2 days! :)

The cruise is pretty far out, right now we are looking at Nov 20, 2013. But one of the reasons for this is we are going for a Suite this time. Also it will be a month after my husbands 2 year anniversary with his new company, which gives him 80 hours of vacation time.

Yeah it isn't a cheap cruise which is one of the reason I am looking at a TA. I have always booked before with just the cruise line, because the extra $100 or so wouldn't be worth it to look around and find the best price. Right now though with the sale we are getting $450 OBC from NCL, and I have one company offering me $500 and one $600 on top of that. Really hard to pass up the deposit and insurance cost in OBC for this sale right now!

If you have an American Express Card no matter who you book with you can get $500 OBC as long as you book a suite.

Sounds like a plan! Oh and remember using your Amex card extra OBC if you book a suite. :)

Alas unfortunately no Amex card or I would so be using it!

Funny thing, is in our 30's me and the DH have JUST gotten our first CC's. Actually booking our first cruise on our own is what made me get them. Mainly because I didn't want to put our on board account on our debit card, last time we did that... there were holds for almost 2 weeks afterwards it was horrid!

Someday I am sure we will get one just for the OBC and perks for cruising they offer, but a new car for the 4600 round trip drive to Miami is much more of a priority!

Pros and Cons of TA vs NCL direct

Pros: you have a professional in your court should problems arise

Sometimes you get more OBC and discounts that the cruise line doesn't offer. You have someone to go to for advice on what to do on your cruise. A good TA can also make airline and hotel reservations for you making it a package deal. They also have different options for Travel Insurance.

Cons: The TA owns the reservation and you can only make changes through the TA. TAs may charge fees for making changes, they may or may not pass on last minute price changes or upsell information (NCL calls them not you).

Neutrals: You must still log into MyNCL and do the check in process. From there you can book excursions, Pre Pay your DSC, etc. Final payment is paid to the TA.

We just booked our first NCL cruise. We used one of the smaller online TA's, which we've used before. We booked just a standard oceanview cabin, yet the price was a good $300 cheaper than booking through NCL, plus they dont charge any agency booking, change or cancellation fees.

It does pay to shop around but remember that cheapest is not always better.

We were quoted a price for o/v cabin which was about $300 cheaper than Norwegian site, from a well-known online site. Can this be possible? Will Norwegian match this cheaper fare? We are looking at the Gem for August.
I've noticed this but also notice you don't get to pick the room. Was this the same for you? Room placement is important to me as I need to be midship due to a disability and prefer a balcony. Also looking at the Gem as there are few choices.

Archived