Sun Penthouse Suite questions!

Jasalth

Having never been on NCL and my mother has never been on the Sun, I need advice on a room!

I am looking mainly to book an SG. I keep looking at 9203 or 9003 as both are avaliable during the time I am looking for. There will be 4 of us, 2 adults, 1 teenager, and 1 turning into a teenager the last day of the cruise. And the deck plans have the inside space of these rooms looking bigger than the others.

I know some will say go for the Aft rooms, but for our sailing, they would be over $1000 more which I am already pushing our budget in my mind. Both of the Romance Suites are also avaliable, but $600 for a whirlpool bath tub seems excessive also IMO.

If anyone has been in these corner Penthouse rooms or even one of the other ones I would love your thoughts helping me decide!!

Hi- my family (12 of us in total) stayed in 3 forward SG suites on the Sun a couple of years ago. (Four of us in each room) The corner ones are not significantly bigger, the layout is just different. The corner balconies are a bit bigger. The middles ones are more traditional hotel layout, while the corner ones are more square- that is the one that is shown in the sun's SG pictures on the NCL website. They are all beautiful! There is plenty of storage for 4 peoples stuff, the bathroom is combined with a big walk-in closet area with a dressing table. there is not much room to move around when the sofa bed is out. 2 teenagers might not be happy sharing the sofa bed-it is pretty tiny. guess it depends if they are girls or big strapping young men.

The balcony is so awesome- though many people love the aft, it is also nice to be able to see where you are going! Bit windy, but nothing to be scared about!

My family sailed in 9201 and our room steward told me it was not possible to separate the main beds from a queen to two twins. The sofa is also quite small, maybe a full size bed when pulled out. I don't know if the steward was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to separate the beds or if it is truly a limitation.

Like a PP said, there is hardly any room to get around in the room with the bed pulled out along with the table and four chairs. You literally have to climb over the furniture to get around.

And just for the record, the middle fwd cabins on deck nine all have straight walls (none of the jagged walls as indicated on the plans). The interior space is practically identical...the balconies are larger on the outer cabins.

Thanks so much for the advice, just waiting to hear back from a few TA's at the moment to see what they offer :)

I am glad to know the rooms aren't really that weird shape. I do like the idea about the corner ones being more square. We just left a square room on Carnival a few months ago and liked it a lot more than the normal long rooms. I am also a balcony lover and am out there 75% of ship time.

From what I do understand the PH's main bed doesn't separate, and I do know this going into it (though I do plan to make sure again before I book!). I have 2 boys, so while I was still thinking a Mini Suite I was going to sleep on the pull out with my husband and let the boys have the twins. But I know that isn't going to be probable unless I book the OS (which won't happen in my budget!!). I know the deck plans sites say they separate, but NCL doesn't.

The good thing about this? My 13 yr old (who will be 15 at the time of sailing) hasn't slept in a bed in 4 years. I know that sounds weird, he has a bed in his room! He actually pulls all the covers off the bed and makes his "nest" on the floor next to his bed. He also does this at hotels, and his grandparents house when he stays there. He is an odd one :rolleyes: So while we need bedding for 4, we really only need 3 sleeping spaces, I can see him making a bed out of a lounge chair on the front of the boat. Or wait... that is me :D

Thank you so much for your help and I will definitely go for a corner now! Breakfast out there every morning and at least 2 dinners are part of my plan since we have 11 days!

We have booked 9201 for 2/25 sailing. I will take pictures and post here when I get back.

We are in the suite with our 13 y.o. dd. Our older son decided to come after we had already booked and even though the suite is rated for four passengers, obviously the sleeping arrangements wouldn't work so he booked an inside on the same deck.

Barb

Okay I just got off the phone with NCL. I was told that the SG's on the Sun DO have a queen bed that splits and then the pull out couch. I did ask her a few times about it because well.. NCL's web site doesn't say it but others do.

I am almost afraid to call again, because I am sure it will be a different answer. Like I said either way will work for my family, but according to the PVP I spoke to the beds do split.

Now to wait for the TA I am booking with to come back from lunch and put down my deposits!

Jasalth

Don't want to add more confusion but you might want to take a look at Deck 11 also. Don't have any idea how the pricing works but the big suites (Owner's?) are on the corners and there is an adjoining BD (but very grandly sized - it is our favorite stateroom on Sun) that I presume you can for an upcharge make part of the suite. If you can't, then you might wnat to consider it if your kids don't care about the "suite perks" of Cagney's etc. The suite on the corner has a hottube on the balcony!

Jasalth

Don't want to add more confusion but you might want to take a look at Deck 11 also. Don't have any idea how the pricing works but the big suites (Owner's?) are on the corners and there is an adjoining BD (but very grandly sized - it is our favorite stateroom on Sun) that I presume you can for an upcharge make part of the suite. If you can't, then you might wnat to consider it if your kids don't care about the "suite perks" of Cagney's etc. The suite on the corner has a hottube on the balcony!

Ah, Clay, I still love my aft PH on the Sun the best. It is just the BEST!!!

Remember, the blender is plugged in... and ready to roll.

I hear ya Donna, but when they raised the price on the stern balconies, they thankfully lowered the bow balconies.....and while I missed the wake, we LOVED the huge stateroom and even bigger balcony, it is about the size of "yours". So until we can afford the suite life, we will just have to make do with as close as we can get.

I booked 9203 today, and got $1050 total OBC so I am happy with it. I would have LOVED one of the OS's with the hot tub. Problem.. $3200 more than what I paid for the SG. Even the aft PH was $1000 more, the OBC would have offset the aft though. The kids are only $1000 extra for the room, so booking them their own room would really be out! My kids really want the suite perks, well at least my youngest. He loves food (and doesn't gain any weight the jerk!! :D), so he is really looking forward to it. I would love to get them their own room and was looking into it on Carnival Breeze (which was my 2nd option, and their suite perks are useless...) but if we are going to suite life, it will be 1 cruise every 2 years, and I know I will be loosing them soon enough, but not yet!!

To be honest I started looking at this cruise for one of the MX's (mini-suite) on the front of the ship because I just wanted to experience that balcony out front! I would actually say right now, there are 4 suites on the whole ship booked (3 in the middle on Deck 8, which would probably be a group of people together). I can always hope for the upgrade to the OS, but yeah... $3200 would be a good chunk of change into where I want to go after the Southern Caribbean (Alaska or Bermuda)

• 2 months later...

Archived