Cellular at sea

Mist_ynight

So I just called Bell to see about using my cell phone on the ship. It's going to cost me $6.99/min which is crazy but they said if I added international text messaging that I would be able to text on the ship. Has anyone done this? I'm a little concerned because he wasn't very knowledgeable and had to ask someone about several things. I added the international text messaging anyway so I can text from port but it would be nice to be able to text my hubby from the ship since he won't be home when I'm in port. I don't want to wind up with a huge bill from texting so any input would be great. Thanks :)

Just make sure you are in port and check that international covers where you are going. On a cruise it is very dangerous to have your phone roaming at all. My last bill I had over $200.00 in charges by just turning on my black berry for 5 mins once a day to check emails for important ones.. I have Rogers, but really make sure you have in writing what is covered.....:)

you can now call from the ship phone for $1.99 per min

Yep... that's exactly correct. After a year of evaluation Carnival adjusted the rate for call from your cabin to $1.99... down from $6.99.

At that rate, it beats Cellular At Sea's charge of $2.49/minute plus charges from your cellular provider...

:)

We use text messaging when we cruise. We have Verizion. I believe it was 5 cents to send one and 25 cents to receive one (or vice versa, I can't remember). We just made sure we used my phone which doesn't have any kind of internet capabilities so we didn't get any surprises. Texting worked great for us..we kept in touch with our kids several time a day and the whole bill was less than 10 bucks.

We have done this many times because I have to keep in touch with my clients on occasion. I do this by texting so I keep my phone on at all times and have not incurred any other costs by doing the following:

You can buy an international text package for very cheap. I think it was $10 for 50 text messsages.

Make sure you have "data roaming" turned to "off"

You can also put it in "airplane mode" but then turn wi-fi back on. (some ports have free wifi, or you can purchase wifi from cruise ship)

another option: call ATT the day you are leaving on the ship and purchase an "international data plan" Probably about $25 for the smallest package for a month. Then call ATT the day after you get back home and have them delete that service. The last time I did this, it was prorated and I only paid for a portion of the monthly fee. Much cheaper than the cruise ships data plan.

If you are an AT&T customer here is a link to the websight with all the international information for their phones:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/

I have used my phone on our cruises using the international calling (World Traveler) plans, texting and data plans and have never been shocked with my bill.

Remember, the quotes from international dialing rates provided by your carrier are land based, and involve the cell sites they partner with. Floating along on the ocean the nearest cell site is aboard the ship, and most likely Cellular at Sea. They set the rates to handle your call, not your carrier.

Cell phones do not link directly to a satellite, they depend on a cell tower reasonably close to the phone, hence, so many visible towers and sites on land. The Cellular at Sea site aboard the ship picks up your signal and then relays it to their satellite they lease for communication, and therein lies the biggest expense.

That's great news that Carnival has the $1.99/minute for calls fleetwide now. I have never used the ship phone to make a call home but I will now. It will save me money on my cell phone bill for sure. Is the time just charged to your Sail and Sign bill? Do you just pick up the phone and dial out? Can't wait to do this on my next cruise.

Sorry.. But working for a carrier here in Canada (the Red Guys) the rates are NOT $1.99 per minute. But (at least for us) charged at $4.00 per minute. (not sure what the others charge). Also note that you can get roaming packages that will cut the cost :)

Sorry.. But working for a carrier here in Canada (the Red Guys) the rates are NOT $1.99 per minute. But (at least for us) charged at $4.00 per minute. (not sure what the others charge). Also note that you can get roaming packages that will cut the cost :)

They are talking about $1.99 for the Carnival phone in the cabin, not a cell phone.

I know I can call from the ship for $1.99, the problem is with my husband working late it would be much easier for him to text me when he is home so I can then call him. The cellular at sea website says the rates are set by your carrier not by them.

Thank you melonhead, I'm glad to here it only cost you what they said it would. I added the international texting for $30, that's 100 outgoing and unlimited incoming. I have an iPhone and plan on having EVERYTHING turned off. I don't want a high cell phone bill. The last trip I went on without my DH he called me on the ship and our phone bill was $1200 for long distance. He could have joined me for what we paid for the phone bill!

I work for a large communication company and we have seen many a surprise on peoples phone bills, saying we just talked a minute... It can really add fast if all the hoops and bells aren't watched. I'd say use the ship phone or buy an internationa;lcard and call from the ports. We'll have to keep in touch with people back home so debating it too.

I work for a large communication company and we have seen many a surprise on peoples phone bills, saying we just talked a minute... It can really add fast if all the hoops and bells aren't watched. I'd say use the ship phone or buy an international card and call from the ports. We'll have to keep in touch with people back home so debating it too.

Archived