Montreal hotels

dos jubalatos

For last year's Montreal-Ft. Lauderdale cruise some people were put up at the Boniventure, an excellent hotel in the center of town. But we had booked before the luxury hotel program and the accompanying increase in prices, so we booked on our own, at the Marriott Springhill Suites - Old Montreal. Here's what I had to say:

“Very good hotel in a convenient Old Montreal location” Reviewed November 19, '11

We stayed here with friends for two nights before taking a cruise from Montreal to Florida. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the central train station-a quick cab ride to a sheltered drop area built into and under the building itself. From there you enter a very modern functional lobby where cordial, helpful staff quickly checked us in and briefed us on the area. A half block down is Rue St. Paul, the main restaurant and bar street of Old Montreal where we had a delightful meal at a very reasonable cost. The room itself was very commodious and the shower and bed both 'above average'. The cost was reasonable, and included a lite buffet breakfast available on the mezzanine floor.

You don't have to include the "hotel" in the "air" package, they are separate, and if you care to get out of one and take a credit, you don't have to opt out of both. I took the credit for both, as I usually do, last October when I was there for a cruise from Montreal on the Navigator. Found a great deal at the Intercontinental in Montreal on my own, (at much less than the hotel credit I received) right on the edge of the Old Town. Many friends on this cruise also stayed there independently, and we walked everywhere. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere for only one night where I had to take public transportation if I didn't have to!

• 4 months later...
I'll be able to report on the IC Montreal this summer, since we'll be staying there in July for a wedding.

Just thought Iwould follow up and report on my stay in Montreal, at the Intercontinental last weekend. We were in Montreal for a family wedding, trained there from Toronto, and the whole thing was very pleasant. Montreal was just at the edge of the horrible heat wave that the north east has been suffering through, but a whole lot more pleasant than Toronto on Friday, when we travelled--35C in Toronto, about 25C in Montreal. But still very hot in the sun.

Anyways, the hotel. This is the Intercontinental on St. Ambroise, just on the edge of Old Montreal. Fabulous location. Walking distance to a number of the countless wonderful Montreal restaurants and bistros.

The hotel itself is very modern and upscale--we were upgraded to Club rooms on the 24th floor, not sure what regular rooms would be like, but ours was spacious, and our son's was huge. Very well appointed, wonderful comfortable bed, lots of plugs for electronics, all the amenities you could wish. Only downside is that they charge for wifi, common in the big hotels in Montreal apparently--but they had a special on for $10 a day.

We used the concierge to find us a restaurant. I had googled a bunch of places, but it was 7:30 on a Friday night and we realized that just walking into one of these places would be foolish. So I sat with the concierge while he eliminated a couple of choices that he knew were full up, but then got us a ressie for 8 at a really great place called L'Orignal, which turned out to be literally a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Very nice service.

There is a gym and a salt-water pool as well, which we didn't get to use because we were too busy hoofing our way around Montreal, eating fabulous food, and primping for the wedding, which was held in the hotel.

Some tips about Old Montreal (I guess I should cross-post this in the Ports section)--the ships dock down at the old Port area. There is a main boulevard (Place Jacques Cartier) which leads up from the port area. Lined with restaurants and patios on both sides (in good weather, of course.) Reminds me very much of Cours Saleya in Vieux Nice. The restaurants are tourist traps--there are much better restaurants elsewhere if you want to experience Montreal cuisine, although I guess if you just want to sit and watch the world go by, you couldn't go wrong.

We couldn't sightsee as much as we wanted because of the heat, it was exhausting, but in the fall, on a leaf-peeper cruise, it should be wonderful just to wander.

Do try to do some research and eat a meal in Montreal if you can, pre- or post-cruise, or lunch off the ship. Quebec is known for it's great food, and it's irrestible. Montreal bagels are famous, Montreal smoked meat is even more famous (we had lunch at Dunn's). And of course, for the glutonous who don't have to watch their cholesterol, there's poutine.

But a huge number of fine dining establishments, some of which are very hard to get into. So do your research and book ahead. Some are BYOW restaurants, so pay attention. But in Quebec you can buy wine in convenience and grocery stores.

L'Orignal was the restaurant we did on Friday night. Unpretentious but upscale. Fine bistro-style dining with an accent on game (a common theme in Montreal.) We had a fabulous meal for four people, risotto with shrimp, pork ribs, delicate roasted chicken, all the touches you expect. Pleasant service, no attitude. I think we dropped about $250 or so, we a glass or two of wine or a cocktail.

On attitude--we sensed NO anti-English attitude on this trip at all. Gone. None. Of course, we were in the tourist areas. We also did not hear or see any sign of protesters.

Just thought Iwould follow up and report on my stay in Montreal, at the Intercontinental last weekend. We were in Montreal for a family wedding, trained there from Toronto, and the whole thing was very pleasant. Montreal was just at the edge of the horrible heat wave that the north east has been suffering through, but a whole lot more pleasant than Toronto on Friday, when we travelled--35C in Toronto, about 25C in Montreal. But still very hot in the sun.

Anyways, the hotel. This is the Intercontinental on St. Ambroise, just on the edge of Old Montreal. Fabulous location. Walking distance to a number of the countless wonderful Montreal restaurants and bistros.

The hotel itself is very modern and upscale--we were upgraded to Club rooms on the 24th floor, not sure what regular rooms would be like, but ours was spacious, and our son's was huge. Very well appointed, wonderful comfortable bed, lots of plugs for electronics, all the amenities you could wish. Only downside is that they charge for wifi, common in the big hotels in Montreal apparently--but they had a special on for $10 a day.

We used the concierge to find us a restaurant. I had googled a bunch of places, but it was 7:30 on a Friday night and we realized that just walking into one of these places would be foolish. So I sat with the concierge while he eliminated a couple of choices that he knew were full up, but then got us a ressie for 8 at a really great place called L'Orignal, which turned out to be literally a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Very nice service.

There is a gym and a salt-water pool as well, which we didn't get to use because we were too busy hoofing our way around Montreal, eating fabulous food, and primping for the wedding, which was held in the hotel.

Some tips about Old Montreal (I guess I should cross-post this in the Ports section)--the ships dock down at the old Port area. There is a main boulevard (Place Jacques Cartier) which leads up from the port area. Lined with restaurants and patios on both sides (in good weather, of course.) Reminds me very much of Cours Saleya in Vieux Nice. The restaurants are tourist traps--there are much better restaurants elsewhere if you want to experience Montreal cuisine, although I guess if you just want to sit and watch the world go by, you couldn't go wrong.

We couldn't sightsee as much as we wanted because of the heat, it was exhausting, but in the fall, on a leaf-peeper cruise, it should be wonderful just to wander.

Do try to do some research and eat a meal in Montreal if you can, pre- or post-cruise, or lunch off the ship. Quebec is known for it's great food, and it's irrestible. Montreal bagels are famous, Montreal smoked meat is even more famous (we had lunch at Dunn's). And of course, for the glutonous who don't have to watch their cholesterol, there's poutine.

But a huge number of fine dining establishments, some of which are very hard to get into. So do your research and book ahead. Some are BYOW restaurants, so pay attention. But in Quebec you can buy wine in convenience and grocery stores.

L'Orignal was the restaurant we did on Friday night. Unpretentious but upscale. Fine bistro-style dining with an accent on game (a common theme in Montreal.) We had a fabulous meal for four people, risotto with shrimp, pork ribs, delicate roasted chicken, all the touches you expect. Pleasant service, no attitude. I think we dropped about $250 or so, we a glass or two of wine or a cocktail.

On attitude--we sensed NO anti-English attitude on this trip at all. Gone. None. Of course, we were in the tourist areas. We also did not hear or see any sign of protesters.

You are right there is no Anti-English attitute anymore in Montreal....my city cares about your $$$$$ only now and not what language you speak.;)

Archived