Aurora in the Fjords in August

groovechick

Hi,

We have just booked on this cruise as the best fit for us in terms of price/dates/destinations etc. We really wanted to go s.wh. warm, but the only option was RCI, who we cruised with last year, and got really fed up with being ripped off on shuttle bus/tour/drinks prices (I mean $20 a glass for a Shiraz that costs about £7/bottle!) and my kids being physically manhandled into posed photos every time we got off the ship.

Anyway, I know unless we are really lucky the weather is likely to be similar to the UK in summer but my question is this - does anyone know if the Skydome over one of the pools on Aurora is likely to be deployed on this cruise if the weather is cool/inclement? My teens can't contemplate a holiday without a swimming pool!

Which are the best tours/excursions for families? My children (17 and 11 at time of holiday) enjoy most things and are quite happy to have a bit of culture/history, but also enjoy s.th. more active and exciting. I thought paddling on the lake below the glacier sounded great, but my son will be under the age limit by a few days! Might P&O stretch a point?

Any other tips about Aurora, P&O, Norwegian ports (Stavanger/Alesund/Olden/Noordfjord/Bergen), dining times, dress codes, etc. most welcome. We were quite surprised on Voyager last year that a lot of people didn't really make an effort on the formal nights. In fact on the first one we felt quite overdressed (husband in dinner suit, me in fairly plain full length dress).

Thanks in advance

P&O Canberra 1992; P&O Victoria 1994; RCI Voyager of the Seas 2011

Archived