cape liberty

karen ager

We are sailing on the Constellation from Cape Liberty April 2006. we are flying in from the UK and want to spend 1 night in a hotel near the cruise port before we sail, and a couple of nights in New York after the cruise to see the sights. Any ideas on good hotels? Would it be best to fly in to Newark but back from JFK? All help appreciated!

If you stay in Manhatten post-cruise, Newark is just as easy as JFK. There are some really nice hotels in the Times Square Area and it's pretty central to shopping and the theater. There is a W Hotel, some Sheraton's and my favorite is the Westin Times Square. There is also the Marriott Marquis and Marriott Courtyard in the same area.

For pre-cruise you could stay in Manhatten as well, but if it's just to sleep for the night, I'd get a room by Newark and just get to the ship by 11:00 to board.

I'm very familiar with the area and your budget is going to be your biggest constraint as far as where you stay... do you have expectations as to cost?

Personally i think EWR is easiest on both sides of the journey (and probably cheaper flying in to/out of the same airport (although if you can get a good deal flying in to EWR and out of JFK i wouldn't turn it down).

Also, what time do you arrive pre-cruise? This will also help determine if you need an area with some things to do or if you're arriving late and just need a bed to sleep in.

Many thanks for all your input. We don't have a specific budget in mind - probably mid-range, whatever price that is. It seems as if EWR will be just as easy as JFK, so we will probably fly in and out of there, although we will see what the prices are like when the flights are released in a couple of weeks time. We will probably not arrive until about 4 p.m. on the Thursday (before we sail on Friday) so we probably won't be looking to do much other than go to bed, particularly as I think it will then be 9 p.m. UK time. Having said that we would like somewhere nice to stay, so again something mid-range in terms of price. Any ideas on hotels in the Newark area that would suit us? Thanks again.

Archived