St Petersburg cruise - time zones

oddjob26

Hi all

Me and my partner are sailing on the Jewel of the seas to St Petersburg, there is a 4 hour difference between London time and St Petersburg time, does anyone know how the cruise lines manage this? I mean there is a 12hr sail time between Estonia and St Petersburg but a 2 hour time difference.

With a early leaving tour, that leaves only 10hrs for night time drinks and some sleep, something has to give.

I better bring my matchsticks:D

Regards

Oddjob

Hi all. Me and my partner are sailing on the Jewel of the seas to St Petersburg, there is a 4 hour difference between London time and St Petersburg time, does anyone know how the cruise lines manage this? I mean there is a 12hr sail time between Estonia and St Petersburg but a 2 hour time difference. With a early leaving tour, that leaves only 10hrs for night time drinks and some sleep, something has to give. I better bring my matchsticks. Regards. Oddjob

YES! All of those time zone changes are a part of the "reality" for the Baltics. There are so many super great ports and treasures in this area, but you have to deal with lots of time-zone changes, many different currencies, etc.

In such a port-intensive area, it's your choice on how much time to spend with evening "partying" versus being focused on what you do each day in these varied ports. Unlike in parts of the Carib where the port options might be limited to tee-shirt shops, an old fort and a beach, the Baltics are so rich and busy with the various port options. Challenges!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,127 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 59,277 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Cheers Terry,

Sometimes an evening drink is needed after a days exploring, and the bar is always a good place to go and share stories from the day.

The two main ports for us are St Petersburg and Tallinn and as they are on three consecutive days, it should work out well.

Regards

Oddjob

Cheers Terry, Sometimes an evening drink is needed after a days exploring, and the bar is always a good place to go and share stories from the day. The two main ports for us are St Petersburg and Tallinn and as they are on three consecutive days, it should work out well. Regards. Oddjob

YES, an evening drink (or two) can be good and fun. But, as you move east, those days are short, the clock moves up, etc., etc. Tallinn is very special and unique. Most know how wonderful will be St. Petersburg, but they are surprised by the beauty and charm of the Estonia capital. Below are a few of my visuals from that great stop we had there. Hope these get you even more excited to be there shortly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,127 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Tallinn’s rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital from the Toompea/upper town with docked cruise ships shown in the more distant background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Here we are inside a nice linen shop near the City Hall.:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Outdoor lunch options on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

Here are outside and inside views of Tallinn’s Alexander Nevsky Cathedral built in the Orthodox style 1894–1900. This church crowns the hill of Toompea. The church has been meticulously restored since Estonia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.:

TallinnOrChExterior.jpg

TallinnOrChurInterior.jpg

Archived