Cartegena Tour Question

momofthree17

Has anyone done this tour? Deluxe Cartagena & Fortress - CA08

It's rated as "strenuous" and I'm wondering if it involves more than long periods of walking. Appreciate your input.

Do a private tour with Dora the Explorer. We had a great tour that included the minibus taking us to La Popa, then--Here is the summary

We visit the main monuments of the city. We start at the hill of La Popa from where, besides visiting the monastery and the chapel, we will be able to admire a fantastic view of the city. Following we head towards the San Felipe de Barajas Fort, the most important fort built in the whole American continent. Photo Stop. Next we walk and drive around the walled area - old city admiring houses and plazas such as Plaza de Santa Teresa, Plaza de Bolivar, Plaza de la Aduana, Plaza de los Coches, full of history and legends. Photo stop at the Palace of the Inquisition. We do a stop at the Dungeons, which today are 23 handcraft shops. We Visit a Church called San Pedro Claver Church.Finally we go to the new city and see all this modern architecture, we see the bay and the forts, and we visit Pierino Gallo Mall. (Emeralds, fine leather goods, coffee, hand craft, cafeteria, Internet)Time 4:30 hoursPrivate TourTransportation: air conditioned car or van with a capacity of 10 people or small bus with a capacity of 18 pax (Depending of the passengers in your group). Professional History Guide. English Speaking Monument tickets included.. La Popa and San Pedro Claver Church, transportation, Tour guide, and port fee.If you will like to find others in the cruise critic’s boards, you can. The price for four people will be USD$ 85.oo per person, the price for six people will be USD $ 65.oo per person, the price for eight people will be USD $ 60.oo per person, larger groups will be USD $ 55.oo per person. You pay at the end of the tour in USD cash. Waiting for your prompt comments,Sincerely,Dora www.cartagenatour.comVonage: 305 420 6176

I spent a week in Cartagena in 2010. Did a self tour of the Fortress. There is a lot of walking, much of it on inclines up and down, and it is very warm. In the language of tour difficulty I would say it is strenuous at times, but unless you are elderly and/or not in good health it is worth the view.

It's rated as "strenuous" and I'm wondering if it involves more than long periods of walking. Appreciate your input.

I can't read the description but this sounds like the tour we did with Celebrity in March 2011. The walk to the top of the fort is steep and probably why the tour is listed as strenuous. Our guide took us there first before it got too hot and did the climb in stages with narration at each level. As mentioned above there are cobblestones and tunnels and some steps. We are 70 somethings and made out fine. The fort is very interesting and the view from the top is great.

The old part of town is marvelous and basically a pedestrian zone. Again we walked from place to place with rests along the way. You really can't see the marvelous historic churches and squares from a bus or van window. We also had free time at several markets and had cold drinks and watched some interesting dancers at another stop. Caratgena was the warmest port on the itinerary and the temperature was around 90 in the afternoon.

Much depends on your physical condition and tolerance for walking and heat.

We loved the tour.

Hope this is helpful.

My friend and I are looking to find some other people for a tour in Cartagena. If you need 2 more for your group please write me at susanengland@yahoo.com

Thanks, Susan

Walk off the ship. Go to the cab area. Talk to the guys and negotiate the best tour you'll ever do.

Next to Cuba, the private taxi guys in Cartegena are the best I have ever delt with.

I agree just do a little research on what you want to see and take a taxi.... they are great, just make sure that the driver speaks english AND has a light blue shirt on with Taxi written on it about 100 times. Go to the fort first before all the tours get there. I just had knee surgery 6 months before the cruise nd I couldn't do the fort but others with me said it was great.

If you go on a tour a big part of the tour will be to stores and emerald stores that they get a kick back from.

The dungeons are a great place to do a little shopping.

Have fun

Lynn

Archived