formal dress on mariner of the seas

we sail next week, how formal does everyone get on Mariner of the seas ? we have been on 8 cruises and each cruise line varied,

im just wondering if its necessary for hubby to take his whole suit, or if slacks and a nice shirt is ok....

all comments welcome :O)

we sail next week, how formal does everyone get on Mariner of the seas ? we have been on 8 cruises and each cruise line varied,

im just wondering if its necessary for hubby to take his whole suit, or if slacks and a nice shirt is ok....

all comments welcome :O)

He will be fine in slacks and nice shirt or even more casual if so inclined.

We were on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago. The 1st formal night seemed to be the more formal of the two, with tuxes and suits with ties for most men. The 2nd formal night there were quite a number more men who were eating with jackets, slacks and no ties.

He will be fine in slacks and nice shirt or even more casual if so inclined.

I totally disagree, but I guess it depends on your take on it and your individual comfort level. I definitely couldn't go that route. Personally, I would feel very out of place on formal night without a jacket. On the last 3 cruises I took out of Galveston it was not so informal that I would have even considered dressing down on formal nights. Maybe it doesn't bother some people to buck the trend, but I prefer to fit in. Even my teen and 20-something sons wore jackets on formal night. I am usually very casual at work and my daily life, but feel a cruise formal night is one time to step it up a notch or two. I think it's doing the OPs husband a dis-service telling him really casual attire is appropriate if he's at all like me and would feel out of place.

That's my take on it for what its worth.

Doug

I totally disagree, but I guess it depends on your take on it and your individual comfort level. I definitely couldn't go that route. Personally, I would feel very out of place on formal night without a jacket. On the last 3 cruises I took out of Galveston it was not so informal that I would have even considered dressing down on formal nights. Maybe it doesn't bother some people to buck the trend, but I prefer to fit in. Even my teen and 20-something sons wore jackets on formal night. I am usually very casual at work and my daily life, but feel a cruise formal night is one time to step it up a notch or two. I think it's doing the OPs husband a dis-service telling him really casual attire is appropriate if he's at all like me and would feel out of place.

That's my take on it for what its worth.

Doug

I guess that's where we're different, I NEVER feel out of place because of how I'm dressed in the MDR. I didn't tell him it was appropriate, I told him he'll be fine wearing it (because he won't be the only one). I'm glad you enjoy dressing up, sometimes I do too. But I come down on the side of letting adults wear what they(not me, not you) feel is appropriate.

I guess that's where we're different, I NEVER feel out of place because of how I'm dressed in the MDR. I didn't tell him it was appropriate, I told him he'll be fine wearing it (because he won't be the only one). I'm glad you enjoy dressing up, sometimes I do too. But I come down on the side of letting adults wear what they(not me, not you) feel is appropriate.

I understand, and tried to phrase it so it wouldn't be confrontational. That was not my intent. Just making the point that everyone has a different comfort level, and just because I could physically get into the MDR in a nice shirt and khakis, doesn't mean that's the norm on formal evening, or that I would not feel under-dressed. Gave them the take from a big scruffy guy who normally dresses down everywhere else...

I understand, and tried to phrase it so it wouldn't be confrontational. That was not my intent. Just making the point that everyone has a different comfort level, and just because I could physically get into the MDR in a nice shirt and khakis, doesn't mean that's the norm on formal evening, or that I would not feel under-dressed. Gave them the take from a big scruffy guy who normally dresses down everywhere else...

Totally understand and agree that people have different comfort levels. Mine is obviously a lot different than yours and it's all good. Happy cruising to you.

We go all out...tux for DH and a gown or very dressy cocktail dress for me, and love every minute of it! Well, I love every minute of it, and DH does it to make me happy!:o

I've always enjoyed dressing for dinner on a ship. Even on non-formal nights our "cruise casual" attire is probably dressier than others. It doesn't bother me if not everyone is dressed like me...I'm enjoying what I'm doing and hope others are doing the same!:D

We still do the formal thing on those evenings. But you will see everything from formal wear, to the guy who just got done feeding the hogs and came right to supper. So just about anything goes these days.

LOL!!! That one had me falling off the chair laughing.

Interesting how in 6 posts this thread turned into the age old argument about MDR attire. That could be a record.

Very passionate subject for some.

LOL!!! That one had me falling off the chair laughing.

Interesting how in 6 posts this thread turned into the age old argument about MDR attire. That could be a record.

Very passionate subject for some.

I thought that was the original question, not a hijack... and in my view it has all been pretty civil. People giving their views on the original question. Just because we all don't agree doesn't mean its an arguement. Its all good.

Archived