Call Us .......

sail7seas

I have only been visited by the upsell fairy once and the upgrade fairy a couple of times on my many cruises with HA. The upgrades were automatic for me but when offered the upsell the call went through my TA and by the time she got in touch with me the offer was gone. I book the cabin category that I want for a particular voyage. At times I do book Suites (on special occasions) but most of the time it is veranda/garuntee and if I get an upgrade offer or an upsell offer when I book a garuntee fine. If not that is fine too because I don't expect one and I am happy with my original booking. Like a poster above me said if you could figure the upgrade/upsell fairy out you would be quite rich.

bob

I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't trying to be mean at all. I've often wondered what it's like for someone who can and does book the upper level rooms, given they are in shorter supply. When I book, I book the mid priced veranda. I have lots of room to go up if what I want isn't available.

And I've wondered what the personal service for booking is with people who can book suites and penthouses. I really did imagine that they would be courted like a Vegas high roller.

Sail, I apologize if it seemed like I was mocking you. I really wasn't. I thought you were trying to get info without seeming like you were bragging. Sometimes I feel bad that I can afford a balcony, when some people save for a long time for an inside. I want to do a cruise in an SA or a penthouse, but DH can't justify the cost, as he's frugal. I've decided I'm going to surprise him with one when he retires, since we are a double income family.

My sincerest apologies. I'll try to be more careful how I word things.

Periodically through my years with HAL and here on this board, I've been made to feel as though I need to defend our option to always book the category cabin we book. It isn't right for anyone to have to feel they are expected to explain their choices on a public forum IMO

No one here knows our 'whole story' nor should they.

Judging others when you do know someone's 'story' is distasteful. Judging people when you don't even know them is something more than that IMO

It would be great if we could get away from making posters feel they need to defend or explain their personal choices and situations.

Thanks for the apology, Amuse Bouche. I appreciate it. :)

I agree. I think it just means that everything is a great state of flux, and may be sold out now, but not an hour from now, and then closed again later, etc, so they just say call us for the up-to-the-minute info.

That's almost word for word what HAL to me last year...

I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't trying to be mean at all. I've often wondered what it's like for someone who can and does book the upper level rooms, given they are in shorter supply. When I book, I book the mid priced veranda. I have lots of room to go up if what I want isn't available.

And I've wondered what the personal service for booking is with people who can book suites and penthouses. I really did imagine that they would be courted like a Vegas high roller.

Sail, I apologize if it seemed like I was mocking you. I really wasn't. I thought you were trying to get info without seeming like you were bragging. Sometimes I feel bad that I can afford a balcony, when some people save for a long time for an inside. I want to do a cruise in an SA or a penthouse, but DH can't justify the cost, as he's frugal. I've decided I'm going to surprise him with one when he retires, since we are a double income family.

My sincerest apologies. I'll try to be more careful how I word things.

We ALL love SAIL, so I can see why the quick defense of her... Happy you sincerely clarified quickly... God knows what would have happened to this thread if you didn't!!! :D HAHA!!

Periodically through my years with HAL and here on this board, I've been made to feel as though I need to defend our option to always book the category cabin we book. It isn't right for anyone to have to feel they are expected to explain their choices on a public forum IMO

No one here knows our 'whole story' nor should they.

Judging others when you do know someone's 'story' is distasteful. Judging people when you don't even know them is something more than that IMO

It would be great if we could get away from making posters feel they need to defend or explain their personal choices and situations.

Thanks for the apology, Amuse Bouche. I appreciate it. :)

I completely agree. Although, I'm not familiar with people having to defend their choices in booking. I probably wouldn't have said anything publically if I'd known this was an issue here also. I am familiar though with people having to defend their own opinions, Lord knows I've been under fire myself for not agreeing with someone, or having a different perspective. Hence my signature line.

As I mentioned before, we have to preplan our vacations precisely due to the process DH has to go through with work. I select the exact cabin I would be happy with, and am willing to pay the advertised cost, whatever it is, and hope that there is a price decrease before final payment. It's worked out well in the past, but this year the itinerary I need isn't budging for savings. That's OK, it's 40% more than I paid last year, but I know what I'm getting and don't have to stress on having a cabin I don't want.

Sail, you shouldn't have to feel as you do. I've come to realize that no matter what you post on here, there's some miserable person that is looking for a fight. There's no point in trying to avoid it. I just remember names. If someone makes me feel bad, I remember.

2014 I will have an excellent cabin on an excellent itinerary, which will cost the price of 3 budget cruises. I will offer no apologies for booking it, as it will be a grand finale for culmination of my DH's lifes work!! Sail, I hope you are next door to me. I'll call you on the balcony to share in some champagne!

There are people on this board who always book a penthouse suite, others like Sail who like to book an S or SA cabin, and some who come on and tell us they always book an inside and why and which ones are the best. Each of us spends our travel money as we see fit and as we can afford. Some can afford more and chose to spend less. Some save up for a long time to afford a minimum cabin selection. Whatever, no one should criticize anyone for they type of cabin they select. After all, the point of this board is to talk about cruising and not which cabin we are sailing in. I'm glad this thread didn't take off in the direction it looked like it was heading.

Archived