Local Artists Shopping

forbjz

Barbados is really supportive of their local artists/crafters. Not too far from the cruise dock is Pelican Village which is a small complex devoted to crafters/artists. I go there everytime I'm in Barbados. It's about 1/2 mile or less outside the dock gate, so I always walk it. You can find out more by googling Pelican Village.

Barbados is really supportive of their local artists/crafters. Not too far from the cruise dock is Pelican Village which is a small complex devoted to crafters/artists. I go there everytime I'm in Barbados. It's about 1/2 mile or less outside the dock gate, so I always walk it. You can find out more by googling Pelican Village.

I too am looking forward to our return to Barbados for local artists. I too liked the pleasant walk to Pelican Village, it was about .45mile and 10 minutes from ship. While it is a quaint shop area it was very desserted which is a shame. My favorite by far was a store called Roslyns -or store containing that name. It was on far back right side. (Note all shops seem to have handicap ramps.)

It had many high quality unique sovniers from prints,jewelry,bags,high end crafts. A lot of everything. The most unique item we looked at, came back looked again were handcrafted sculptures by a local barbados artist trained in Scotland . There were so many to choose from. We purchased one for ourselves, and later in day made a late afternoon dash back for two more for potential gifts. Having cruised many islands before, we now are more particular what we purchase, and look for items that reflect the island- photo of sculpture in my review post #97. I hope the store offers as much next xruise. I also heard the artist has recenlty been focusing on weaving, but found other artists like Jill Walker, Barbados pottery also. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236801&page=5

Buffettfan 225

Thank you for reminding me of your review. I read it a while back and it was very well written and fun. I had forgotten about the wire figure guy and I hope that he will be there when we get there. My nieces would love them. We will be touring with Silver Moon for most of the day but since this is so close to port it is perfect. I hope that it will be busier in December, this is just the kind of place I like to shop it, with things that can't be found anywhere else.

Buffettfan 225

Thank you for reminding me of your review. I read it a while back and it was very well written and fun. I had forgotten about the wire figure guy and I hope that he will be there when we get there. My nieces would love them. We will be touring with Silver Moon for most of the day but since this is so close to port it is perfect. I hope that it will be busier in December, this is just the kind of place I like to shop it, with things that can't be found anywhere else.

We are sailing in less than 3 weeks and can scout out Rosalyns and let you know if we see the "wire guy", or any other intersting finds. We have a private tour arranged to start at Harrison Caves, hope to see Bathsheba coast/rock formations, maybe Holetown and Chatel village and a planned walk to Pelican Village. I will post hopefully another entertaining review upon return from our Victory Southern caribbean route.

We are sailing in less than 3 weeks and can scout out Rosalyns and let you know if we see the "wire guy", or any other intersting finds. We have a private tour arranged to start at Harrison Caves, hope to see Bathsheba coast/rock formations, maybe Holetown and Chatel village and a planned walk to Pelican Village. I will post hopefully another entertaining review upon return from our Victory Southern caribbean route.

That would be great. Looking forward to your return. Have a great time on your trip.

We loved walking to the Pelican shopping area on our way to and from the local buses. We found one shop (with no a/c, but not a problem) with a really nice local man. He had quite a hodgepodge of things for sale, and we bought several things because it was locally made. The best part was the conversation. We learned more about the island from this gentlemen than we ever would have from taking a tour. Can't wait to go back in five weeks!

We loved walking to the Pelican shopping area on our way to and from the local buses. We found one shop (with no a/c, but not a problem) with a really nice local man. He had quite a hodgepodge of things for sale, and we bought several things because it was locally made. The best part was the conversation. We learned more about the island from this gentlemen than we ever would have from taking a tour. Can't wait to go back in five weeks!
I think we met him too, was it in more of a "working" part of a studio shop perpendicular from main area that had a lot of ceramics? If not, can you describe where you met him in complex?

Archived