Anyone eaten at the BBQ on the Magic?

Riley's Mom

Here is a quote from the dining review for the Magic on this website:

If you're hankering for something different for lunch on sea days, don't miss the Oceanside Barbecue set up on Deck 5 near the RedFrog. We felt bad for the occupants of the smoke-enveloped Deck 6 cabins just above the grills that were churning out sliders, hot dogs and chicken, but once we dug in to the feast we stopped caring. Diners can also enjoy homemade chips and salsa and a selection of salads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't heard of a BBQ before.

Has anyone been? Is it good?

Here is a quote from the dining review for the Magic on this website:

If you're hankering for something different for lunch on sea days' date=' don't miss the [b']Oceanside Barbecue[/b] set up on Deck 5 near the RedFrog. We felt bad for the occupants of the smoke-enveloped Deck 6 cabins just above the grills that were churning out sliders, hot dogs and chicken, but once we dug in to the feast we stopped caring. Diners can also enjoy homemade chips and salsa and a selection of salads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't heard of a BBQ before.

Has anyone been? Is it good?

Yes - we have eaten there and it was good. But there was some seasoning in some of it that I was not fond of :o

Just to clarify.....it's "barbeque" - as in cooked outside on a grill....not BBQ as southern BBQ with sauce ;).

Edited by happy cruzin

I ate at the BBQ twice on my last trip. Here's a few things I remember....

1) If it looks like there's a line, there probably isn't. The place is just squeezed into a tight spot and people bunch up. Go to the aft side to find the plates and at the front grab the little cups to put your sauces in.

2) It's only open at lunch time on Sea Days. Don't forget to visit.

3) It's a great spot to bring your own soda and sit outside of the ocean plaza entrance or inside.

4) The food was quiet tasty. I didn't try the hotdogs but the silders, tacos at tort chips were yummy. They had several sauces to choose from and they were all good. I really like the garlic / cilantro ( green ) it was really sweet. It pored over really well. The chips are very pastry but crispy.

5) It's really outdoor grill not BBQ. American and Tex-Mex influence with a bit of an Asian Fusion type presentation the way they put the Korean Slaw over things. Real foodie (me) type stuff.

This place and the tandoor were a couple of my better food experiences on the Magic.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by chrpai

I ate at the BBQ twice on my last trip. Here's a few things I remember....

1) If it looks like there's a line, there probably isn't. The place is just squeezed into a tight spot and people bunch up. Go to the aft side to find the plates and at the front grab the little cups to put your sauces in.

2) It's only open at lunch time on Sea Days. Don't forget to visit.

3) It's a great spot to bring your own soda and sit outside of the ocean plaza entrance or inside.

4) The food was quiet tasty. I didn't try the hotdogs but the silders, tacos at tort chips were yummy. They had several sauces to choose from and they were all good. I really like the garlic / cilantro ( green ) it was really sweet. It pored over really well. The chips are very pastry but crispy.

5) It's really outdoor grill not BBQ. American and Tex-Mex influence with a bit of an Asian Fusion type presentation the way they put the Korean Slaw over things. Real foodie (me) type stuff.

This place and the tandoor were a couple of my better food experiences on the Magic.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Same thing with the Plaza Cafe in the Ocean Plaza - with the sandwiches and soups that is around the corner from the place with the sandwich wraps. They have some things that the deli on the Lido does not have - like a yummy chicken salad.

Pretty sure it's only open for lunch on sea days too - and we almost missed it.

Are the lines very long for the BBQ?

you actually want kind of a line. If the food sits too long it gets cold. Or ask for it somewhat customized so they have to make it hot and fresh. Even when only warmish, i thought everything was tasty.

Whenever the bbq is open, the sushi place inside becomes a salad bar + wraps.

you actually want kind of a line. If the food sits too long it gets cold. Or ask for it somewhat customized so they have to make it hot and fresh. Even when only warmish, i thought everything was tasty.

Very good point about the freshness of grilled food.

"Real" BBQ would me so many things to so many people anyways.

In Texas it means slow and low brisket and link sausage or any other meat that you happen to shoot with a red pepper style sauce. In KS it's another, in Memphis it's another, in the Carolina's it's another.

If you want some Texas style BBQ stop off at Goode, Pappas, County Line or even Ottos while you are in Houston.

They are not slapping sauce on something and calling it bbq. It refers to the method of cooking on a barbecue grill. No sauce required. No dry rub. No nothing except meat, fish, etc.

Ever hear - "Throw another shrimp on the barbie"?

I cook BBQ for competitions, won many a trophy and have qualified more than once for state and national competitions. The term BBQ has become misconstrued.

I cook BBQ for competitions, won many a trophy and have qualified more than once for state and national competitions. The term BBQ has become misconstrued.

I totally agree one's BBQ is another person's grilling depending on where they live, and then there are all the different BBQ's , Texas,Memphis,Carolina's etc.

I agree it has become misconstrued since the cavemen first started it thousands of years ago. ;)

It is as silly as people from Chicago or New York thinking they invented pizza. :p