SJ 7 until 2 What to do?

Kallen

We will be in San Juan on the morning of March 22nd, departing at 2 pm. Daughter and SIL (aged 26) don't want to do a bus tour with us old folks since they are not early risers and will probably just walk around the port area. What is there in the area in the way of shopping/browsing for an hour or two?

There isn't much in the way of shopping right by the port, other than some vendors do set up tables along the port area (not enough to keep you busy for a couple of hours, though).

That being said, OSJ is a very walkable city. I didn't measure, so this is a rough guideline--everything is probably within a mile or so of the port. There are lots of stores to explore, especially in the Fortaleza/San Francisco areas. Fountains in the plazas, the San Juan gate (and lots of feral cats in this area), the Governor's mansion, museums, the San Juan cathedral (final resting place of Ponce de Leon). Even if they don't do a tour with "the old folks" they could easily get up later and do a walking tour on their own if they were so inclined and see quite a bit.

Unclaimed cats wandering around homeless??? Oh no! She will want to try to bring them all home in her luggage :eek: She has cystic fibrosis and has breathing trouble but I assume they could catch a cab at the port if the heat and humidity are too bad?

Unclaimed cats wandering around homeless??? Oh no! She will want to try to bring them all home in her luggage :eek: She has cystic fibrosis and has breathing trouble but I assume they could catch a cab at the port if the heat and humidity are too bad?

TBN's Hubby here...

Although there many feral cats along the walk , they are not exactly 'unclaimed', unless things have changed in the last year or so. There is a volunteer organization that feeds the cats, traps sterilizes and releases them, and adopts out the kittens they catch. Although we do it occasionally, you are not supposed to feed them.

It is amazing to see them literally jumping out from the rocks when the folks come by to feed them and put out water.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26167636/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/t/cat-fight-brewing-over-san-juans-feral-felines/#.T0HDzfXA5ig

Save a Gato takes care of the cats. Most of the cats won't let you get close to them unless they are in the process of being fed at the time. There were a couple of younger cats/older kittens that did come up to us as we were walking along and wanted attention. They didn't want to be held (I tried) but even after picking up these younger cats and them jumping away, they still stayed by my feet begging for attention.

There should be cabs for them along the port. On the morning we embarked the Victory, I was probably asked ten times if I wanted a cab while I was walking around in the area. There is also a horse and carriage company not far--I believe it's in a plaza area by pier 2--that they could do as well.

Save a Gato is a wonderful organization. It's amazing to see healthy looking cats living on the streets. They take wonderful care of them and do find homes for many. Their website at saveagato.org has photos of adoptable ones. We always make friends with many cats during our time there, but are thankful to not have feelings of guilt for not bringing one (or more!) home with us, since they are not suffering.

Edith the Cat From Hell and her brother Max the Slow Witted thank you all for relieving their little minds about even the remotest possibility of having to accept more heads in the food bowl;)

The information you have all provided is just wonderful and much appreciated. The trolley looks like the perfect solution and as long as they can find their way back to the ship on time (such a bizarre time to depart), I won't have to worry about them. If daughter gets into stores and starts buying, we may have to worry about suitcase space but that's yet another issue....

Archived