Has anyone tried a private exc. to Macchu Picchu from ship?

elcano

I wonder if anyone has dared to plan and do the typical two-night tour with a private company, from Manta or Arica, and rejoining the ship after it. This tour is offered by Princess, NCL and others for around 2,000 $, which is too expensive to me...

we are doing this on our way to Santiago...after all the arrangements and allocating one day in cusco for altitude adjustment...I wouldn't risk a private two day tour....too many variables could go wrong

That´s right... However, being positive and thinking that your cruise finishes in Valparaiso which is the next stop ( And last ) from Arica ( Rejoining cruise port ), it wouldn´t be too complicate making it... if I find a good deal...

That´s right... However, being positive and thinking that your cruise finishes in Valparaiso which is the next stop ( And last ) from Arica ( Rejoining cruise port ), it wouldn´t be too complicate making it... if I find a good deal...

Do it AFTER your cruise. The only way from Arica is via Santiago and Lima (the connections don't work to go it on an independent basis and get you back to the ship in 2 days). Manta you will have to find a way (bus/taxi) to get to Guayaquil, then fly to Lima and on to Cusco.

One big reason those cruise ship offered excursions are so expensive is because they are on CHARTER planes.

If you have the time, do it AFTER your cruise. Easy to do, no need for a tour operator. Straight shot-Santiago, Lima, Cusco. Even if you have to pay to change your airline ticket home, you will still save quite a bit AND with a couple of extra days, you will avoid the HUGE chance of getting AMS, which an awful lot of cruise passengers get on those short tours. Too much too soon and from sea level to 11,000 feet.

• 4 months later...

Archived