Just back from Progresso

We are just back from the April 9th sailing of the Carnival Glory. One of our ports was Progresso and this was our first trip there. We took a taxi to town (there was a free shuttle but, it had not started when we got off ship) and they dropped us off at the flea market. It's pretty good shopping but, you will have to deal with pushy vendors. A simple 'No' usually works fine. They were offering a 20 minute bus tour of the city for $2.00 per person. We had time to spare so we decided to take the tour. They took us around and told us about the city. Well worth the $2.00 and saved a lot of walking. I had heard a lot about the ocean not being pretty in Progresso but, it was beautiful the day we were there. There are also a lot of good prices in the shops at the dock.

I did have one problem in Progresso - I do not travel with a lot of cash and they were not set up to take my VISA card. So, be aware of the fact that you need cash for purchases in Progresso. I actually would have purchased more if they had taken my credit card.

We too, were on the Glory last week. I was very disappointed in Progresso and wished we had done a tour. The pier and area around the pier is very new and nice. They offer tours to the Reef Club Yucatan (day pass for inclusive resort) as well as ruin tours that were much cheaper than the ship but no Chitzen Itza due to it being so far away. We took the shuttle into town and my husband said, "they are not dropping us off here?" - yes, that was the case. It's pretty run down (in my opinion). We found a police officer who told us how to go to the beach. Lots of locals out selling their wares on a very narrow sidewalk. The beach was disappointing. The day was not sunny and it was very windy, almost cold but the beach was dirty, covered with lots of trash and glass. The locals didn't even have the huts, chairs etc., out when we arrived. We did walk along the pathway and after about 15 minutes realized there were no other cruise ship passengers around. We did meet up with a couple from Canada and they were also disappointed. The place where they do the Corona Beach break was okay and the best part of the beach. I'm not that fussy and I didn't want to stay around. We walked back to the shuttle area and back to the pier where we shopped for a while and got a drink at the bar. There is a small pool there as well but that day there was a crew party going on. We got back on the ship around 11:00 a.m. and had a wonderful afternoon on board. Not many people around so pools and dining rooms were quiet. Most tours back by 2:30 or so - we were a bit late sailing because of ship's tours. If I were to go again, I would definetely do a tour on this island. The Chitzen Itza tour left at 7:00 a.m. and there were bus loads of people on them. I believe someone said 7 buses to Chitzen Itza that day.

It is always amazing to me that two people can see the same thing in different ways. We found the area quaint and charming. It is just small village Mexico. The beach was fine - we didn't see any trash or glass - and there were huts all up and down the beach. I took photos of them. It was very windy and a bit chilly the day we were there. We did walk through areas where there were no other tourists (there was only one ship in port that day) but never felt isolated or concerned. The area where they drop you off is the flea market and it was quite nice. We had heard a lot of bad things about Progresso and we were pleasantly surprised.

Two port calls to Progreso and visits to Merida on Celebrity intrigued me to see more, back for 8 day land trip. Now planning a 2 wk stay in Merida and a couple of small towns in the Yucatan. I enjoy experiencing foreign cultures. I don't need Cancun or Cozumel other than a one day port call. Certainly don't need resort enclaves that seperate you from the local community either.

I'm wondering if you can walk from the beach to the flea market or town for shopping?

Thanks, djk

We walked around several blocks in the area after touring the market where the shuttle drops you off and then went down to the beach. It's only two or three blocks to the beach from the market. It wasn't the prettiest beach I've ever seen but it was relaxing just to sit out there and have a drink. I will say that the vendors did just about drive us crazy for the first 15 minutes or so but after that they got the idea that we weren't interested and left us alone.

Archived