I know it's wrong...

alexspepa

On our last cruise in Nassau they made mutiple announcements about people being late. There were at least 100 people late and we watched them just stroll along on the pier. Some would run but as soon as they saw the line they would just walk. We left an hour late because of them. I say next time leave them. :)

one time we were waiting for a late couple and the captain came over the intercom to tell us we could not leave without them because the port we were in would not allow us to do so...the captain said that "some people keep time with a calendar instead of a watch"...

My favorite one so far is the girl that stumbled right off the pier in Cozumel. There was a ladder there that she climbed up - right to the waiting officers who helped her stumble to the ship. Loud heckling ensued. Fun times :D

You can see her at the top of the ladder in the middle of this pic:

2658228000059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

We were just in Coz last week. There were only a couple of pier runners but one was a lady who was just walking. Apparently the officers on the bridge were able to see her because they gave the horn a few quick blasts and that got her running.

We were late getting back to the ship in both Panama and Costa Rica but we were on Carnival tours so we didn't have to run to make the ship.

I too, love to cheer on the pier runners. We're starboard on the Spirit- I wonder if our balcony faces the dock:confused:

It's going to depend on which side of the pier the ship docks on. When we were there on the Freedom last week the Liberty was also there. The Freedom was docked with the port side next to the pier and the Liberty had the starboard side next to the pier.

I love watching the peir runners!:D I also have to admit there are some you want to cheer on, because they know they are late and are trying to hurry, and then there are others who have no clue that they are late until they hear the hoots and hollers from the ship and sometimes the ship's horn, and then they "get it" and start running. Then there are the ones who are obviously "out of it" can hardly walk, and those I feel bad for. Would hate to be them when the "wake up":eek: Still love to watch, especially when the peir is long! I know, Im mean!:D

...but in six days i get to enjoy one of my favorite cruise activities:

getting a drink and watching as all the last minute excursioners try to "beat the clock". I've had many a fun time cheering them on as they run down the pier before the boat sails. my favorite was a drunk in a rickshaw.

That is one best free cruise activites.:D

While I'm sure that at least some of the pier runners have either been at a local watering hole to spend some time with Al K. Hall, or on a shopping spree and lost track of time, I wonder how many have come back late because they booked an excursion independently of the cruise line?

Our last cruise, we were held up for a few pps. They boat waited as they were employees. The captain came over the speaker and mentioned why we were waiting. They kept watch of the pier and noticed them, I guess they were watching closely from the bridge. The next annoucement came again from the captain saying they were on there way running down the pier and ask all to give the employees a round of cheers! It was funny.

I would have loved to been there.:D

I wonder how many have come back late because they booked an excursion independently of the cruise line?

That happened to us once in Belize - luckily it was a tendered port so no one could see us running :o

Nowadays, we get the reverse; we book morning excursions through the ship, come back for lunch and then go out for a run on purpose. It's funny to hear all the people tell us "It's OK, the ship doesn't leave for X hours" as we run back to the ship! You'd think the sweat and the running shorts would be their first clue...

Last September we were on the Dream. Our 1st stop was Nassau. It was a short day. We've been there enough that we got off the ship, did a bit of shopping and went back to the ship in time for lunch.

Our room was one of the was across the front of the ship so we went out along the walkway in front of our window to watch the last few stragglers and watch as we pulled away. We had seen a few people doing what my daughter always called the run/walk and they had been calling a few names repeatedly as time to leave got closer. Finally, we started to pull away from the pier. We and our friends noticed a couple walking along the pier toward the ship. Then as it became more obvious that the ship wasn't stopping the couple started running toward the ship. We never did stop. They were standing on the pier for quite a while as we continued to pull away and then finally they turned and started walking back towards shore.

I hope never to be in that situation. I'm sure that there weren't a lot of sweet nothings being whispered in anyones ear that night.

Archived