Jewel 4/9 Little Review

We just returned from the 8 night sailing and are still smiling and carrying all those good feelings back with us for as long as we can make them last.

The ship is lovely. Opulent. And I went from room to room and place to place in awe of the beautiful detail that makes this ship as pretty as she is. Looking everywhere, so much effort was put into it. I also stole the Art Book from the cabin as I do on all the RCCL ships that provide them, since I love the artwork selections and the fact that this cruiseline does not skimp in anyway, shape or form, in this department on their ships.

Was thrilled to find that The Rosario Strings, who I enjoyed more than I can descibe on Voyager last year, were on board this year. They played in the Atrium Lobby on deck 4 and their sounds rsonated up into the Centrum and the music was everywhere. It was a grand pleasure of mine to sit in the Champagne/Martini Bar and listen to them, or to stand along one of the areas on the decks on the periphery of the Centrum devoted to enjoying all the sights and sounds on the decks above and below to hear them.

The Schooner Bar is larger than on the Voyager Class and Chops and Portofino's are off the area that the room sits on. Further back is the Safari Bar with it's gimbaled Pool Tables and the decor of the Safari Lounge makes for an incredilbly comfortable environment with it's seating and well laid out drink bars along the rails so you can enjoy your cocktails and still see the entertainement and the dance floor.

The Tides Dining Room is elegant, with full dramatic draperies and very comfortable seating. The Show Lounge is well desgined on this ship (class of ship) and was designed to have unobstucted views. Some of the seating areas have ledges for you to place your drink or bag or camera on, and all in all it's very comfortable.

The Solarium is the most beautiful I have ever seen, and there are the sounds of crickets and chiping birds far off in the distance. The foliage and the climate control make this a perfect place to relax...and get wonderful chocolate filled crepes throughout the day.

The food on the ship was probably the best of any RCCL cruise we have been on, the service lacks for nothing. Our room Steward by day 6 asked us where we have been, and as a credit to him and his team, they did a superb job and was really not seen but all of three times. To say hello, to ask us where we have been on day 6 and to day good-bye the morning we left. Simple and unobtrusive. Our dining room staff was absolutely First Class. Timed and Exceptional (Except for the Head Waiter...he was just Regular)

The drinks on the ship at the Pool Deck and everywhere else were of a generous quantity and we never felt we were shorchanged. One lady was overheard to complain they were too strong...so if she is a gauge, then all is well in that regard. At the Champagne/Martini Bar hors d'ouvres are served nightly along with Caviar.

One important thing to mention is what I found to be a well kept secret...The Seaview Cafe. FORGET Johnny Rockets altoghether. This is the star and the concept that will please EVERYONE! No more noise about JR's ever after you try this. Period.

The staff could not do enough for you, they were more than accomodating, every request every where ended with "my pleasure", and better service has not been found by us even on X ships.

They are doing so much on this ship and bringing so much to all of us in their efforts that it almost seems a prototype in many ways for RCCL but in a natural, seasoned and professional way without the stiffness and mistakes of a trial and error attempt during this Inagural Season.

The ship is as our tablemates accurately descibed it..an Adult Ship. The Voyager Class we enjoyed twice and it makes sense for the kids and teens, this is for relaxing and love-birds, although the proportionally reduced number of kids were basically seen and not heard, and generous space and amenties are available for them as on all the other RCCL ships.

If you are looking forward to this ship, or thinking about it, it is one that will not disappoint and one we say Kudos to RCCL for creating. We looked forward to sailing this ship very much and are so glad we did.

Will be happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. I really enjoyed the Jewel and look forward to bringing our kids on her in November. I agree with the decor.......it was awesome....so much to look at.

Fantastic review Finelycruising! I will be on her sister ship, The Radiance in a few weeks, and cannot wait! I'm sure many things you described will be the same on Radiance since they are the same class of ship.

Thanks again for the review. It was fun to read, thinking about my "turn" in a few weeks. ;-))

MTS

Thank you for the review and it is so timely with us boarding her in 3 more days.

We too have sailed Voyager class ships the last two times and from what I have read and seen many people describe Radiance class as classy and elegant...can't wait to see the Solarium and dining rooms as the pictures of the draperies draped on the columns looks stunning.

I know pictures never do justice to RCI's ships so soon I will see for myself and I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Thanks again

Emmy

For those who have not cruised her and want to take the kids, there is an awesome winding waterslide that is in the kids pool area similar to what you would find in a water park, although not at all as high. I would have done it myself, but they wouldn't let me. They have signs to remind me that I'm too old. ;)

One last note to add: There is a liquor collection area which is set up when you return to the ship form port at the bing-bong area during re-entry. We saw quite a bit of island purchased liquor that and I can't say for sure is considered confescation by some since we did purchase liquor to take home, but had it sent to the ship rather than carry the weight of it while shopping. It was sent to our cabin the night before we disembarked which was good for us since we needed nothing else to clutter the cabin until then.

Our experience on the Jewel was very much the same. We had a couple with us that were first time cruisers. We told them that they would be jaded by the "Jewel experience." Our cabin had many built-ins for storage and the enclosed shower was an exceptional idea for a small space. I always hated the shower curtain!!! I do think that the Jewel could improve in one area and that is with hiring a new cruise director. On previous Royal cruises, I felt that no matter how you felt about the ship, the cruise director could keep it all together by entertaining the passengers and keep them coming back for more. On the Jewel our director was more like a "Den Mom" or "Catholic School Teacher." Her lines rarely got a laugh. Royal Caribbean needs to step up and find someone more entertaining. The Seaview Cafe was a hidden "jewel." Many on our ship did not know it even existed. Bulent our waiter and Rubi the assistant waiter always made our dining experience incredible. Also never heard or saw any bed bugs! We enjoyed most of the shows and only snuck-out of one!! Don't forget to enjoy the crepes in the Solarium!

We had Jill Tasker as CD, and we thought while pretty well reheared she was very well animated at times, particularly during unpredictable moments like at The Quest. We found she was very entertainating with her natural comedic wit and her language inflections. Hearing her reactions was just a bunch of laughable fun.

We were in a D1, after having been in JS the past two cruises on Voyager class. When we booked last March, JS was all taken. Did not kill us, but would prefer the JS anytime for the extra closet space and the extra room in the shower...we do not tub. Would do the same all over again in a D1 (9050 with the darn cleaning gypsy-partial balcony obtsruction-that never moved) FWIW.

We are in 9062 on the Jewell..leaving May1 transatlantic. We were on the Brilliance in November transatlantic and were in cabin 9204 it was a great cabin and not obstructed..so we booked the same proximity on the forward port side of the elevators on the Jewell, is this cabin obstructed? What is the cleaning gyspy? Is it the elevator platform that cleans the windows?

The Brilliance is a beautiful ship also and we found and loved the Seaview

Cafe. We also liked the islands for the buffet, never a line. You gave a great review of the ship we have 10 days to go and can't wait.

Doris

Doris I wish I was you! Have a wonderful time!!!!

Yes, the machine that power washes the side of the ship. There are so many of them due to the bumps/humps that I guess meeting up with them is inevitable. This was off to the right side of the balcony so it wasn't terrible. I recall one poster with pics in a larger cabin that had it more or less front and near center. That could not have been pleasant.

Finely Cruising - what a great review - it made me want to be on that cruise - Oh yeah, I was!!!!!!!! Everything you described was accurate except for Jill - the Cruise Director - I hope RCCL realizes that her disregard to offering plenty of Ship Shape activities can make a cruise somewhat boring. We earned 28 Ship Shape dollars while in November on Brilliance in November we earned 72. Lots more Baggo tourneys, line dancing and other opportunities to earn dollars. I even saw her staff members roll their eyes at some of her obnoxious attempts to embarass passengers.

Hope to see you on future Radiance class cruises!!!

Gerry

Our experience on the Jewel was pretty good, but we liked the Navigator better than the Jewel. I miss the ice shows, the promenade, Ben & Jerrys, the little coffee shop. The Jewel is beautiful, but I got the impression of it being geared to an older crowd.

We were very disappointed in the first comedy show, and did not see Marty Allen the night he performed. The visual comedian was also horrible. The singers and dancers were excellent?

Last comment....could not stand the cruise director, but that is taken care of since it was her last cruise.

mrssully --Freddy is a true professional who will not hesitate to meet your needs. He is what fine service is all about and he is one hardworking young man going the extra distance to make sure the guests are well attended to. I only recently learned about the CD's departure so I cannot help you in that regard.

Gerry we did enjoy her humor, I am learning from your post here that you may have found her a bit off and did not enjoy her as much as we did. I loved her scratchy voice and her inflections, but then we did not particpate in the activities you enjoy so we were not as disappointed as you were. Yes, it would be nice to see you or any one of the others again some day. :)

KreiderCarter, if I learned one thing it is these two classes of ships are very different. I like the Voyager Class and loved our cruises on those ships, but I loved this ship more so much more. Not sure how old you are but if I had to guess I would say the average was people in their 40's. Found some younger and a few older, but I think the bulk was cruisers in their 40's/early 50's.

Oh I wish I was doing it all again right now!

Archived