Need a little help from the Disney 'experts'

MsSailaway

I am looking to take my grandson on the Disney Wonder on June 17, 2013 (Alaska) for his birthday (he will turn 10 on June 16th). As I usually travel alone or with an adult and have never cruised Disney I have a few questions:

1) We will be driving to the port (Vancouver BC). How much time should I plan for the border crossing?

2) What additional documents do I need to travel with my grandson as his Mom and Dad are not coming along? Anything different for the border crossing?

3) Budget is a concern (as with many folks), does it cost for the kids to go to the age appropriate Disney clubs? If so, about how much?

4) What is rotational dining? And is it optional? Is there an additional cost?

5) We will need to park the car, and understand Canada Place has parking for about $20 a day. Are reservations required or recommended?

6) Is Disney too 'baby' for a ten year old?

7) What else should I be planning/worrying/looking at?

I will say that it is much easier to plan a vacation for one's self than it is for a little boy! LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Short Stuff's Grammy

I am looking to take my grandson on the Disney Wonder on June 17, 2013 (Alaska) for his birthday (he will turn 10 on June 16th). As I usually travel alone or with an adult and have never cruised Disney I have a few questions:

3) Budget is a concern (as with many folks), does it cost for the kids to go to the age appropriate Disney clubs? If so, about how much? The kids clubs (3 and up) have no additional cost.

4) What is rotational dining? And is it optional? Is there an additional cost? Rotational dining is the program DCL uses for your dinner experience. There are 3 Main Dining Rooms. On the Wonder they are Animator's Palatte; Parrot Cay; and Triton's. When you check in at the port, your KTTW card will have your dining rotation on it, as well as your table number. This tells you which MDR you will be eating in each night. You will "rotate" throught all thee MDRs. As will your servers and any people you are seated with. You table number will be the same in each MDR, although the location may not be exactly in the same location within each MDR. There is no additional cost for dinner (except for alcoholic purchases).

6) Is Disney too 'baby' for a ten year old? In my opinion, no, but every kid is different.

7) What else should I be planning/worrying/looking at? Don't stress about being able to do everything. You can't. Do what you can and enjoy yourself.

I will say that it is much easier to plan a vacation for one's self than it is for a little boy! LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Short Stuff's Grammy

See my answers above in red.

:)

We drove from Haines to Fairbanks this last summer, of which most of the drive is in Canada. Both times we went through customs, the guards talked to the kids, asking them where we were going.

I flew home while DH drove home with the DD and DS.

DH was at the Canadian Boarder for about 15 minutes. The guard took all 3 passports, the kids birth certificates, and the notarized letters that I had signed authorizing him to take the kids through Canada. He disappeared into the office for about 10 minutes and then came out and sent them on their way.

When they got to the US Boarder, he again gave the guard the 3 passports, he asked if Mom knew that he had the kids (never asking for written permission), and then allowed them to continue on their way.

Long story short :rolleyes:...You will want to have your grandson's passport and a notarized letter with mom & dad's signatures, make sure you include dates of travel and destination, etc. Each time we went through customs there was no line, someone who has been through the N. Washington boarder can better address the potential wait.

Hope this helps and that you have a dry cruise through Southeast AK.

Hi,

I took my two grandkids (diff last name than me) to Disneyland last year - Drove from Vancouver to fly from Bellingham, WA as airfares are way cheaper. At border crossing I gave the notarized letter from both parents to the US Customs - no problem. Airline flying to LA didn't ask for letter, flying home didn't ask for letter. Coming back into Canada, I didn't give the letter and the guard asked what relation the two kids were to me - then I gave the letter and we were OK to go. A notarized letter from both parents is very necessary.

I am taking the two girls on a Disney Cruise in May - the oldest is 10 and she is very excited about going on a "Disney" cruise - she has cruised with me before and loved the kids club and the constant supply of food. So, I think your 10 year old grandson is a perfect age to enjoy this cruise. It will be my first Disney cruise and I am planning on loving every minute of it too!

I suggest reading up on Disney Cruises, either via this website, the Disney Cruise website, or going to a bookstore (there are several books on this subject). You will feel alot better about your vacation and you will get TONS of info and tips! That said, my son is 11 and has been on 2 DCL cruises (both 4 nights), and has been begging to go on a 3rd! He wants to experience one of the new ships, so we are going on the Fantasy next Feb. for 7 nights. There really is something for everyone on DCL, and they will take such good care of you! You do not get 'nickel and dimed' like I hear you do on other lines, you will only pay extra for alcohol, the spa, excursions, things like that. What a wonderful thing to do with your Grandson - ENJOY!

We took our 2 sons to Alaska last Aug., ages 18 and 16. My daughter and son-in- law also went along, both 28. If you like Disney you will never be to old! We got some great pictures of us with the characters at breakfast. The shows are fantastic, we did Disney trivia, there is so much to do at any age.

There's heated pools, basketball, table tennis and thats plus the kids club.

Archived