Shore Excursions - Skagway and Ketchikan

bertrande

Hello,

We're going to Alaska aboard the Radiance of the Seas, departing from Vancouver on 30 July 2005. I've currently booked Capt Larry for Juneau and verbally agreed to take Southeast Tours' 6-hour horseriding excursion out to Yukon in Skagway. Has anyone taken this excursion before and care to elaborate if it's worth our while? Neither my DH nor I have any experience whatsoever..

In Ketchikan, we've decided to go kayaking but we just can't decide where to go! There's Orca Cove and Pennock Island excursions by Southeast Sea Kayaks, and then there're the 5 kayaking/ canoeingexcursions offered by RCCL which interest us, namely:

Whiskey Cove (says on the website that they'll go to Pennock Island if they hv the time);

Tatoosh Islands sea kayaking;

Clover Passage kayaking; and

Rainforest Canoe Adventure.

Any advice as to which excursion to go for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

On a separate note, does anyone have any idea when our formal night(s) will be?

Thanks and cheers.

Carcross horseback riding gets consistant RAVES, you've chosen an excellent tour. For me Ketchikan kayaking locations are all very good. :) Go with the location that fits your timeframe best. Superior is Southeast Kayak for their small groups and more personal tour.

Carcross horseback riding gets consistant RAVES, you've chosen an excellent tour. For me Ketchikan kayaking locations are all very good. :) Go with the location that fits your timeframe best. Superior is Southeast Kayak for their small groups and more personal tour.

That sure puts me at east..we're from Singapore and at the current exchange rate, USD150 per person is not cheap! We've had to cancel our dog-sledding & whale-watching combi because of the prohibitive cost so knowing that the horseback riding excursion is great is VERY reassuring! Thanks! :)

Alaskandude,

I'm also trying to figure out which kayaking tour in Ketchikan would be best. Do you have any specific reason for the Clover passage being your personal favorite? Have you done the Tatoosh Islands kayak trip? We've already ruled out the canoe trip since we don't want to be on a boat full of people with oars who may or may not be very coordinated. Or if someone is irritating, we'd be stuck with them. Or maybe there will be a whiny little kid who we could do without (please - those with kids don't be offended. This is our first ever weeklong grown up trip without at least one of our 4 going with us) Any more detailed assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One more question. As an alternative to kayaking I was considering the clover pass bike ride. Do you know much or anything about that one?

Momma- The bike ride would be a lot of fun especially if you get a nice sunny July day. I like Clover Pass area the most just for the view. It is a little north of our town and the are a few Islands out there(I am not sure if get to explore around them). You will see a lot of fish jumping and eagles flying and who knows maybe a whale or two.

Thanks for the ideas. We decided to do our Kayaking in Juneau and do the dog sled in Skagway. That left Ketchikan open for the floatplane through the Misty Fjords which we reserved through Carlin Air. We were able to schedule everything at times that suited us. And we even have time to do a hike in Skagway before our afternoon helicopter and dog sled excursion.

I appreciate all the input.

• 2 months later...

Sigh - last week when I checked (I wasn't ready to make full payment yet), there were 6 nice slots available for the Orca Cove kayaking excursion. Now, they're all gone. :(

So that narrows our choices to Tatoosh (approx same length as the Orca Cove excursions) or to Clover Pass and Pennock.

Which would you guys recommend? Thanks!

bertrande, have you contacted southeast sea kayaks directly? If you're just going on their web site availability, I'd give them a call or e-mail to double check. They still may be able to accomodate you on the Orcas Cove.

The other company, southeast exposure, is located 14 miles out of town and they pick you up and bring you back to town in a van. Their Clover Pass and Tatoosh tours both involve about 1 1/2 hours of paddling time. Tatoosh is longer because of the additional boat travel time to the Tatoosh Islands. The Clover Pass tour takes place right off of their dock. They also offer a Guide's Choice tour which you can book independently and has about 3 hours of paddling time. It usually involves a small group (3-5) with a guide.

My daughter and I did the Southeast Tours horseback ride in the Yukon last year. We really enjoyed it. Absolutely gorgeous scenery! Nice driver, nice ranch, decent horses.

We liked it so much that my husband (who doesn't ride) is doing it with me this year!!

The Southeast Tours people are friendly and accommodating. They go out of their way to give you a great tour.

bertrande, have you contacted southeast sea kayaks directly? If you're just going on their web site availability, I'd give them a call or e-mail to double check. They still may be able to accomodate you on the Orcas Cove.

The other company, southeast exposure, is located 14 miles out of town and they pick you up and bring you back to town in a van. Their Clover Pass and Tatoosh tours both involve about 1 1/2 hours of paddling time. Tatoosh is longer because of the additional boat travel time to the Tatoosh Islands. The Clover Pass tour takes place right off of their dock. They also offer a Guide's Choice tour which you can book independently and has about 3 hours of paddling time. It usually involves a small group (3-5) with a guide.

Hmm..thanks redrobin for the suggestion - I will do that right away. We had decided on Southeast's Pennock Island trip because we don't want to travel too much (in a van or otherwise) but if DH and I can squeeze onto the Orca Cove excursion I'd be most happy. Thanks once again for the suggestion!

Archived