NY Metro Area LGBT Cruisers

paulypride

Hey everyone, Steve here. Just discovered this cursing thing, well cruising by ship, and I'm already hooked. Have several cruises booked for 2014. I live in Gastonia, NC, near Charlotte. I am single so I travel solo for the most part. My next cruise is with a co-worker and her wife. I'm currently looking at booking for January 2015. Was thinking about doing a B2B out of SJU.

• 2 weeks later...
Ricknyc. What did you think of the Breakaway?

Does anyone have an opinion on Breakaway? The recent reviews here aren't great (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=642).

But they are sailing out of NYC for weekends at $205pp. I thought it could be a fun way to check out the ship.

Does anyone have an opinion on Breakaway? The recent reviews here aren't great (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=642).

But they are sailing out of NYC for weekends at $205pp. I thought it could be a fun way to check out the ship.

Are you looking at the 2-night "cruise to nowhere" ? Those shorter cruises tend to be "booze cruises" because everyone is trying to pack as much fun/partying into 1.5 days as possible. I could see it being even worse during this time of year, since it will be too cold to use the pools, so everyone will be cooped up inside, drinking!

I really liked the ship when we did a late-September Bermuda sailing on her, but I think the key is to find a time of year when very few kids sail. It sounds like when the ship is completely full, there tends to be more dissatisfaction and maybe NCL didn't build enough space for that many people.

I have some link to some pictures in my signature, but I thought the staterooms and entertainment onboard were great. The main dining room (free) food is OK and the buffet food was good. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 1 month later...
we already sailed - january 20-28th :)

Okay! Tell me all about the Splendor! Is it as wonderfully garish as it looks in the pics????

I just booked with NO single Supplement and a cabin upgrade and OBC. May 4th 2014. Carnival is having a big sale.... If you'd like to send an email instead of on here it is Cowboychef at Verizon dot net. I do have some questions.... Of course everyone has different opinions and that is what makes the world go round...but would love to hear fun stuff and any tips to make for a more enjoyable solo cruise...

Howard

HI Pauly -- We are going on the Explorer of the Seas Sept. 25th in celebration of our milestone birthdays (my 50th and Karen's 60th). We are bringing some of my family along and trying desperately to get some of our friends to come. We were originally going to fly to Italy but my kids through a fit that I was going to leave them home. The happy compromise was the cruise. Thank God for "kid camp". It's like being on vacation without them!!

XO - Maria

Maria - I am pretty sure I know you from the LI GLBT Community. You work for a Health Services company? I was with LI Pride for years.

:)

I am working for the Staten Island LGBT Center now as well as a travel agent....life is good!!

Royal is a great line!

I bet you are gonna have a blast!

Hi == of course we know each other :) I didn't know that you worked for the LGBT Center in Staten Island though! That is some commute you have to do!! This will be the 3rd time on Explorer of the Seas - love that ship!

Be Well!

Hi == of course we know each other :) I didn't know that you worked for the LGBT Center in Staten Island though! That is some commute you have to do!! This will be the 3rd time on Explorer of the Seas - love that ship!

Be Well!

Yes that would be quite the commute, but I don't live on LI anymore! We moved here last April and I started working with them in August. I am their Volunteer Coordinator and the Director of Pride Events.

In my "Spare" time I am a travel agent as well now!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
hi howard im going on the splendor solo april2 tell you all about it after I return bklyn bobby

Kewl Beanz!

So far...there is you going a month before and a couple going a week after...but no one popping up on MY cruise! Funny cause the price is sure right! No single supplement!

Howard

We are a gay male couple from HK (Manhattan). Just came back from 4-day Bahamas on NCL with 6 friends. It was...interesting. But definitely looking forward to the next one, which we're trying to plan now. :)

Anyone going on a PP cruise? We were considering booking the PP 7-day on X Silhouette on 11/30 out of Miami.

my price was amazing also! haven't found any gay men on board my cruise but called carnival and they said F.O.D. meetings will be held on board that cruise

I glanced at a "Fun Times" and it looked like the FOD meetings are at like 11pm each night! On the Elation last September they were at 5pm and that was great. Maybe they are different on each ship?

Howard

I glanced at a "Fun Times" and it looked like the FOD meetings are at like 11pm each night! On the Elation last September they were at 5pm and that was great. Maybe they are different on each ship?

Howard

they usually always have them at 5 p.m. and sometimes in addition throw the 11p.m. meet up also. I love the 5 cocktail hr lol

• 3 weeks later...
Headed on a solo on the NCL Breakaway first week of December this year. Can't wait!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How did you like the Breakaway as a solo traveler? I'm traveling solo on the Breakaway May 25, 2014.

How did you like the Breakaway as a solo traveler? I'm traveling solo on the Breakaway May 25, 2014.

Loved it. Stayed in a studio, which was the perfect size for a solo traveler. I'd go solo again in a heartbeat.

As for the ship, enjoyed it so much, I sailed on her with my husband in February, and we're going again in August.

• 4 weeks later...

We I've in Chelsea (What a cliche) and right on the Hudson, we see the Cruise ships come and go all the time. Cannot count the number of cruises we have been on. Both Gay and Non Gay (Makes not much difference to us)

We are a quieter couple, might walk on the perimeter of a dance party and watch for a few, Prefer the piano bar etc.

Alway feel free to come upend say hey.

And on a rare occasion out 'inner girl' ca make a peek!:D

• 2 weeks later...