Upsell's offered to people booked through TA

irockadidas

No I'm not. The Upsell call is a revenue opportunity that presents itself when a ship is bottom heavy in lower category bookings and top heavy in available open categories. The Upsell fairy has a limited amount of time to change the complexion of the way the ship is booked. That's why the calls are quick and the prices are (usually) attractive. The Upsell Fairy has no time to analyze the passengers past guest history. The Fairy looks at the opportunities open for the quickest and easiest way to make the most added revenue to the ship.

And Stu is right that Carnival contacting TA's who then in turn have to call their customers who may have to then talk it over with their spouses who then have to call the TA back etc, is not the the most efficient way to upsell the ship.

And how much revenue does the TA get from the cheap upsell?? Nothing!! But they have to go on their GOCCL computer and do the work to make the changes.

In addition, Travel Agents DO NOT under any circumstances want Carnival to contact their clients directly and a call from the Upsell Fairy is just that. It can open up a whole can of worms.

What about travel insurance? Seasoned cruisers know how important it is to buy it. Do you think TA's would be OK with Carnival calling their clients to discuss and upsell them valuable trip coverage their travel agent may have neglected to offer? I don't think it would fly.

Bottom line.. The Upsell Fairy does not contact non-direct TA booked customers.

As a former TA with 2 major cruise agencies and also having worked directly for a cruise line, I can tell you on a factual basis that you are mistaken. Cruise lines called me (on behalf of my clients) numerous times with both upsells and upgrades. Have the cruise lines changed their policies? I doubt it very much (but could ask 3 of my co-workers who are still there). Cruise lines do not want to alienate the agencies that bring a huge percentage of their bookings but offering something to direct bookings that isn't offered through their partners.

Regarding insurance, most of us offer our clients both the cruise line product and another option. Each has its own advantages and which one is best generally depends on the client's situation.

I left the cruise industry for another travel position almost 4 years ago. But the bottom line is that...the Upsell Fairy AND the Upgrade Fairy DO CONTACT travel agents on behalf of their clients.

I have always booked my cruises through a large online cruise agency. I seem to get better deals with OBC. I always let the agency know by phone that I am willing to listen to upsell/upgrade offers. Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't. Our last cruise we had to book an OV because there were no balcony for 4 available. I was dreading being in a smaller room with four but really wanted liked the ports of call. I called once a week willing to pay full price for a balcony. Two weeks out I got the call from the TA that I had been visited by the upsell fairy. I was able to move up to the balcony for little of nothing. I got lucky. We would have had a great time no matter what cabin and I would not have risked it if it was available to start. We had no choice there was nothing when we booked for 4.

Several times I also received calls where a cruise ship was oversold and they were offering substantial compensation if clients would take an alternate cruise. One cruise line in particular seemed to do this.

I find that very intersting. I worked for an airline for a few years so I understand how that works, but how does it work for a cruise? Are these people who booked a category and didn't have assigned rooms yet? It never occurred to me that they would actually oversell cabins like that.

I find that very intersting. I worked for an airline for a few years so I understand how that works, but how does it work for a cruise? Are these people who booked a category and didn't have assigned rooms yet? It never occurred to me that they would actually oversell cabins like that.

One time I was told they had to empty some cabins due to (water?) damage, but the other times I wasn't given an explanation just that they would offering my clients an alternate sailing.

Archived