norwalk virus

pwillmo

I have been reading some reviews of the Sun Princess and the words

"norwalk virus" keep coming up. Is this normal for a ship to have this many cases popping up. We will be sailing in May and I am concerned that maybe the ship is not kept up to specs for cleanliness. If you have sailed on her recently did you find her to be clean??

The Norwalk virus can and does happen anywhere. All of the cruiselines go through great lengths to prevent it but it is generally spread by people who do not wash their hands.

So to answer your question no the Sun Princess does not have a problem. If the ship were not kept up to specs on cleaniness the CDC would be all over them.

Scott

We were on the Veendam in January when 260+ people got sick. The CDC even flew into Curacao to board and check the ship. They thought the crew was doing a good job but they couldn't end the outbreak. The CDC determined that someone had come on board with the virus. That person probably didn't even know he was infected when he boarded. We stayed healthy by washing our hands frequently and using the sanitizing stations that were all around the ship. We also tried to avoid using handrails on the stairs and no handshakes. Don't let the reports worry you, just use some precautions and have a great cruise.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from sailing on the Golden Princess and both my husband and I got the Norwalk virus. I am very careful to wash my hands often and not touch door handles or hand rails whenever possible but sometimes it is unavoidable. We think we got it from our cabin. My suggestion is to take a package of lysol wipes with you and wipe down everything in your cabin (door handles, remote control etc). The cabin stewarts clean but I don't think they really disinfect the why it is always necessary. When we left, embarkment was not complete untill just before 12:00 and the new passengers were scheduled to board at 12:00. This does not leave much time for disinfection. This could be part of the problem. Each of us were out for about 2-3 days which does not make a nice holiday.

we were on Sun Princess for last thanksgiving. It is a well kept ship. The problem is with guests who don't wash their hands. The ship also has the liquid purifier at the entrance to the buffet. we have been on other ships that have the purifiers also near all dining rooms. Good idea about the sani wipes. O quick once over when getting to your cabin should also help. Enjoy the Sun.

Archived