Latest you have boarded the ship

cherbear4000

My family is sailing the Dream out of Port Canaveral. We are all traveling separately in small groups. For example DH and I are flying to Orlando a few days early and spending time at Disney. My parents are driving from Ohio (Mom doesn't fly).

My sister and brother are flying in the day of the cruise because my sister couldn't get off work on the day before. I normally wouldn't be concerned since I have flown in the morning of many times myself except for their flight doesn't land in Orlando until 11:45am, barring any delays. They tell me this after they have booked it. I tell them they are crazy, the port is an hour away. They tell me they have until 4pm. What?!!! I tell them that is when the ship sails, not when you have to be there by!! Of course, they should know this. Our family has cruised many time, plus I told them previously they had to be there by 2pm. They were originally going to rent a car to drive to the port, but I am thinking it would take up too much time. They would have to wait for the car at the airport, return it in Cape Canaveral, take a shuttle from the car rental place to the port. Maybe a car service would be better?

I'm thinking they should make it provided no delays what so ever. What is the absolute latest people have gotten to the port and have been able to board? What is the earliest people have arrived at the port? I am asking because I will have to turn my rental car in by 9:30 am to avoid another day's charge.

They have made their choice - a bad choice but their choice. It is not your problem so do not worry about it. If they miss the cruise, it is also not your problem.

DON

Wow! I was pretty comfortable booking our flight out of Prov, RI @6:15 am and arriving in MIA @ 11:57 am for a 4/15/12 sailing on the Glory out of the Port of Miami @4pm.

Now after reading all these treads on the subject, I'm second guessing this just a wee bit...

We've been a a couple of cruises but all before 9/11, so I know things have changed.

Hopefully we don't experience any flight delays. At least we bought trip insurance..:confused:

Latest arrival time for us was when our flight was canceled to Philly the night before our cruise out of San Juan...therefore we missed our connection to San Juan once we finally got to Philly. We were on the first morning flight out from Philly to San Juan and made it to the port around 1pm, so not really that bad, but still...not what I planned!

I think there will probably be others on the Carnival transfer at the time you arrive, but if you are delayed, I don't think the transfer or ship will wait. A car service might be a good idea...pick you up right at the airport and drop you off in front of the cruise terminal.

First time I was cut close was when my flights were cancelled so 5 of us girls rented a car and drove from Dayton, Ohio to Ft. Lauderdale. Boarded at 3:15pm, Carnival knew where we were as we kept in contact. Next cruise, flights delayed, again, kept in contact with Carnival so that they knew where we were and at what time. Landed in Tampa at 3:20, got luggage and a great cabbie who drove "as fas as you can go". Boarded at 3:55pm, again had Carnival on phone during cab ride. Boarded with all our luggage and as we entered the cabin and looked out window, we were already sailing. If I plan the cruise, will always try to get there a day ahead of time if possible.

The flight time should be okay if no significant delays. My advice, keep calling Carnival. They don't tell you they will wait, but in our case, they did let us on late as we had done check in online and they knew who was in our party and where we were.

What .. there is no such guarantee. You need to read this thread, I went to look for it specially for you. If you miss your flights.. Carnival will say they did not book the flights.. booked by a 3rd party.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29650679&posted=1#post29650679

Very foolish to assume that Carnival guarantees you get on the ship. I had read others who booked thru Carnival who also missed the cruise. Not Carnival's fault .. just a service they provide, blah blah blah.

Dont be naive.. get it in writing from whomever told you this foolishness.

Fire:

The thread that you posted is a bit outdated. Carnival has modified their Fly Aweigh Program. If you book air through them, they will ensure that you get on the ship. If your flight is so delayed that they can't wait for you, then they'll make arrangements for you to get to the next port of call. They'll pay for hotels, flight arrangements, etc.

Here's an excerpt from the Carnival website:

Carnival's Fly Aweigh® program arranges convenient flights to and from all our ports of embarkation. Our trained in-house team monitors flight operations for any delays or interruptions to ensure the coordination of your arrival to the ship. Should you experience a flight problem or delay, Carnival will be responsible for getting you to your next destination by securing flights, hotels and meals, if applicable, at no cost to you.

The latest I have ever boarded was 12:30 :) But, it may be later on my Victory cruise THIS SUNDAY :D However, I will have "checked in" by that time and will have left my luggage with the porters...then it's off to do some exploring. I plan on boarding by about 6:00 pm, even though it is not really necessary to do so on this cruise until around 8-8:30 pm.

I like to leave myself plenty of time.

Archived