Bahamas Nassau Walking Tour Websites

rfcf2trips

For those of you who are thinking about doing a walking tour of Nassau. You may be interested in looking at these different links:

Frommers has Historic Nassau walking tour found at:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html#

This is a map for the Frommers Walking tour

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

Carol's Worldwide Cruise Port Itineraries

The map isn’t very good, but does provide pictures:

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/BAHAMAS-Nassau-On-Your-Own.htm

Zydeco Cruiser walking tour includes good pics of Fort Fincastle:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

Provides some great photos and suggestions:

The link will not appear correctly on this message board: http://www.********.com/nassau

Go to www brentje with an s at the end dot com slash Nassau.

She included some unique views pictures on her walking tour:

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2011/03/08/walking-tour-of-nassau-bahamas/

Southern Cruising walking tour information:

http://www.southerncruising.com/NewsRelease.aspx?NewsId=67

This is a guide for your I phone:

http://www.gpsmycity.com/iphone/nassau-walking-tours-176.html

(This guide includes a detailed, fully functional offline city map and several self-guided walking tours for Nassau. This guide works offline, hence NO Internet Connection is necessary. This guide can be downloaded via the Free City Maps and Walks iPhone app.)

We just did the Frommer's walking tour 2 days ago and really enjoyed it. Be aware, some of it is out of date (you cannot go into the Government House grounds as there is construction going on). There is a lot of construction going on surrounding that area as well, so use caution when walking.

A real highlight is the Public Library, which used to be a prison. Fascinating place with a great view from the top, but also a bit sobering in terms of amenities for the locals. We wished we had brough some books to donate.

If you do the tour, be SURE to stop in at Graycliff and enjoy a local brew. You can walk the grounds there, which are simply stunning. And the bathrooms are clean. :D

• 2 months later...
If you do the tour, be SURE to stop in at Graycliff and enjoy a local brew. You can walk the grounds there, which are simply stunning. And the bathrooms are clean. :D

Thanks for that tip. I had planned to bypass Graycliffs. John

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

has anyone done this lately? This post is 2 years old and looks like it was a little out of date even then. I'm trying to find some neat places for us to see in Nassau and not spend a small fortune

Edited by hlb76

has anyone done this lately? This post is 2 years old and looks like it was a little out of date even then. I'm trying to find some neat places for us to see in Nassau and not spend a small fortune

My wife and I are planning on doing it on the 30th. I will post back and let you know.

We will be slightly modifying it though. It looks like the Watlings Distillery is across the street from St. Francis from there we will be going down Augusta St. to West Bay and then out to Fish Fry. After eating we will then head back towards the port.

I just started looking into all of this so not sure what our must dos are. Im interested in the forts and pirate museum but nice to know what we can see on the way.

We have been to two of the forts and enjoyed them both for different reasons. When do you sail? I can post some picture links and info in the next week or so.

sent via forum app on my S4

We have been to two of the forts and enjoyed them both for different reasons. When do you sail? I can post some picture links and info in the next week or so.

sent via forum app on my S4

That would be great!!! We dont sail until Oct but you have to start palnning sometime ;) and I'm a freak about wanting to know what all my options are.

Hi- stumbled on this thread, just booked the Getaway for the August 2 (yes the one in 13 days :eek:) Would love your input !

Thanks!

Deb

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up sort of doing the tour. Got a little side tracked on Bay Street in the morning and got a late start so we skipped a few sights. Set first destination to Queen's Staircase and passed most of the stops on the way (first couple of squares, library etc.). Walked up Queen's Staircase and saw Fort Fincastle. Running later than wanted so set next stop to John Watlings Distillery, it is behind the St. Frances Catholic Church. On the way to the Distillery we passed the post office, government house, Gregory Arch, and of course the church. The Distillery Tour is nice and short, the rum is small batch and is priced as such. From there we went to Christ Church Cathedral which is across the street from the Pirate Museum. The stained glass windows in the Cathedral are very impressive. That pretty much ended the walking tour. We did catch a cab over to the Fish Fry and ate a Oh Andros. The wife and I split the fried conch and grouper plate and could not finish it, probably the best thing I ate the entire trip.

All in all it was a good time. The walk is sometimes difficult because the streets of Nassau are not set up for pedestrians. I would recommend picking the sites you want to see and focusing on those as you will pass most of the other on the way. One other suggestion is printing out a better map with more street names listed. Several times we got turned around because we were unsure if we need to go a block forward or back to stay on route.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to get out here with more information for everyone. On top of traveling every week for work, I also got sick and spent the weekends trying to recover.

mts315 - it sounds like you had a great day. One time, we went the back way up to Fort Fincastle (definitely not pedestrian friendly, but I thought to avoid going up the stairs) and then walked down the stairs.

For those of you who haven't gone yet, they should have walking tour maps that you can pick up in the building at the port that are pretty detailed. It never hurts to have extra maps pre-printed just in case.

We have been to Nassau in March 2004, August 2007, March 2010, and Oct 2012. It is not a favorite location, it just happens to be on the itinerary of all of the inexpensive quick getaway cruises that we have taken. Other than the rebuilding of the straw market between our first two visits, not much has changed.

The Pirate museum was fun (we only went in 2004, so it has been a while). Definitely a tourist trap, but we were happy that we went.

You can find pictures of our 2012 visit here:

For that visit, we took the #10 Jittney (have exact change) to Fort Charlotte. We had a hard time locating a stop and walked farther than we had to. Once you leave the port area, just ask someone and they will point you in the right direction.

I really like Fort Charlotte. There is a small admission fee, plus there are people there to take you on a tour. They work for tips. On our 2 visits, we had one amazing guide and one not so amazing guide. It didn't help that on our second visit they put us with a young couple who wanted to finish as fast as they could, so we skipped some areas. We tipped according to the service we received. They mention that tips are optional, but this is how they earn money. You can walk around on your own without the guides. There are displays throughout, but having a guide adds a bit to it.

After Fort Charlotte, we walked up to Adastra Gardens. Again, not your typical zoo, but still a lot of fun and worth the cost for us. We looked at the ships in port and saw when their excursions were going to Adastra Gardens and avoided those time. :p Watching the flamingo march was cool.

We were pretty tired after Adastra Gardens, so they called a taxi for us and we rode over to Fort Fincastle, walked around there, then down the Queen's staircase and back to the ship. It was a nice, but long, hot, and tiring day. I have a photo book from this trip, so if the link is not already in my signature, I will try and add it today.

Our 2010 photos are here:

My son wasn't feeling well, so this trip the 3 of us did Fort Charlotte, then DH and I went to the Queen's staircase alone.

I didn't take very many pictures in 2004, but there are a few from just outside of the Pirate museum here:

. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside. My daughter was very turned off and scared by all the people wanting to braid her hair and sell things, so we didn't spend much time at all at the straw market.

In 2007 (I can't find my pictures right now), we went to the library on our way to Fort Fincastle and really enjoyed it, but we did bypass a lot of the other locations since it was very hot and humid that day. Take water with you, but a few places along the way sell cold water bottles and soda for semi-reasonable prices. (Better than ship prices)

Have Fun!