Your advice is needed

2fairweather

After reading different threads I was of the understanding that I had to purchase insurance 14 days before final payment of my cruise. Now the way I understand it I had 14 days from the time of deposit (2 Nov 2011). I had a Stem Cell Transplant 3 years ago and have check-ups every 3 months so I'm concerned that will complicate the Pre-exisiting condition clause. Would it work if I canceled my 25 day cruise of March 2013 and re-booked it and purchased the insurance right away? If that won't work, what could the CSA insurance charge for the privilege be? More than a couple thousand?

Any advice would be helpful.

Michael

I had a Stem Cell Transplant 3 years ago and have check-ups every 3 months so I'm concerned that will complicate the Pre-exisiting condition clause.

Probably not if your situation is stable and there have been no changes in your diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, or any meds you might be taking. Most ignore regular check-ups. You'd really need to cover that with whatever insurer you are considering.

Would it work if I canceled my 25 day cruise of March 2013 and re-booked it and purchased the insurance right away?

Some insurers don't care, others consider it fraud so find out first from whatever insurer you're considering.

If that won't work, what could the CSA insurance charge for the privilege be? More than a couple thousand?

Do you mean how much MORE expensive it would be with CSA? Probably little or nothing -- CSA is pretty competitively priced. But if you're looking at the Custom plans (the ones found on insuremytrip or on CSA's consumer-direct site) you have to move up to the Luxe version in order to get the pre-ex coverage. You should also check the CSA Freestyle plans which have the pre-ex coverage even on the standard version. Check prices also at http://www.tipinsurancestore.com for the Freestyle plans.

I guess I'm in luck as I called Travel Guard today and they had a policy with pre-existing coverage that was 180 days out from the original deposit. I just made it under the time limit.

Thanks for you help,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The 180 day Lookback Period doesn't mean 180 days after your deposit date. The Pre-Existing Condition Lookback Period is the 180 days prior to the travel insurance policy's coverage effective date.

Here's how Travel Guard defines a pre-ex condition:

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of you, Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Family Member which, within the 180 day period, for the Gold plan, immediately preceding and including your coverage effective date: (a) first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician; © required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines.

If any of those apply to you, cancel the Travel Guard plan and take a look at the CSA Freestyle plans. Cruiseco said: "CSA Freestyle plans which have the pre-ex coverage even on the standard version. Check prices at www.tripinsurancestore.com for the Freestyle plans."

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

Each insurer sets their own policy on pre-existing conditions. We always buy it right after booking. As far as what is called a pre existing condition they generally mean a condition for which you've been treated for within 60 days of buying the insurance, not something that goes back years. Before canceling I would contact Access America or Travelguard and ask them for their definition of a pre existing condition. We recently booked a Mediterranean cruise and are using Travelex insurance which our travel agent sells. They will cover pre existing on what he sells as long as it's paid for by the time we make final payment on the trip.

After reading different threads I was of the understanding that I had to purchase insurance 14 days before final payment of my cruise. Now the way I understand it I had 14 days from the time of deposit (2 Nov 2011). I had a Stem Cell Transplant 3 years ago and have check-ups every 3 months so I'm concerned that will complicate the Pre-exisiting condition clause. Would it work if I canceled my 25 day cruise of March 2013 and re-booked it and purchased the insurance right away? If that won't work, what could the CSA insurance charge for the privilege be? More than a couple thousand?

Any advice would be helpful.

Michael

I don't think CSA insurance would cost that much more, if at all, than Princess. Check out http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ , they have CSA listed along with plusses and minuses of the insurance. If I were you, I'd take the CSA.

Archived