Being practical here

MNfamilycruiser

okay, I have searched and I can find plenty of pictures and information on the balconies for the mini-suites (Golden, Dolphin deck) but I need to know about the CLOSET!

We are a family of 4 staying in a mini-suite that holds 4, but I need space for all of our clothes. Do I pack lots of things in Ziploc bags and assume there are shelves or drawers? Or do I plan for more hanging room?

Has anyone taken or seen a picture of the closets? Or could you tell me something about them? Are there doors on them? Are there shelves in them?

Are there other drawers that we could stash clothes?

Any information and tips would be appreciated!

There is a tall closet with drawers and shelves, and also the safe inside it, that has doors. There is also an open closet that is a good six feet wide where you can hang a lot of clothes. We've always had lots of hangers, but you can ask for more. There is additional storage area in the cabin (nightstands and drawer in the vanity) and a decent-size open storage area next to the refrigerator. Bags go under the bed. I find it handy to put dirty clothing back into a suitcase.

There's only two of us and we always have extra space left. The closet is open it faces the bathroom. You probably will have to ask for more hangars but should have room for all hangups. Between the bathroom and the closet is a area that has doors. It has the safe and shelves behind them. There is a desk near the beds that has drawers and then near the couch is another set of drawers. The area that has the TV's on them and the refrigerator also has extra open shelves. I may be leaving something out, I forget what was right next to the bed.

There is a tall closet with drawers and shelves, and also the safe inside it, that has doors. There is also an open closet that is a good six feet wide where you can hang a lot of clothes. We've always had lots of hangers, but you can ask for more. There is additional storage area in the cabin (nightstands and drawer in the vanity) and a decent-size open storage area next to the refrigerator. Bags go under the bed. I find it handy to put dirty clothing back into a suitcase.

Sounds like plenty of space!

I'm sure you've seen this suggestion, but it's one of my favorites. Before packing the suitcases, lay everything out, put 1/2 of it back, and bring the rest. :)

But you can't depend on a 5 and 7 yo to be able to re-wear any clothing - it almost always has food spilled on it. Especially chocolate ice cream!

Luckily their clothes are much smaller and take up less room. I even brought a vertical hanging rack to stack their dresses since they are so much shorter than the allowed closet length.

I am thinking these rooms are much bigger than what we have experienced before! Sounds like lots of space for storage. The closet arrangement is certainly different and seems very nice - way better than having to block the hallway while getting things out of the closet.

Laundry rooms are available.

I think they are even very close to our cabins - but we have never been on a line that had them before, and I wasn't really sure how well that would work. Has anyone ever used them - do you need to bring your own soap? Are they very busy?

For the clothes, not the kids!:)

No the bathtub will be for the kids! - that will also be a new plus we have never had before. They are older this time and could do the shower easier - but we did tend to get a lot of water on the floor as I tried to help them wash their hair!

I'm leaving Sunday on the Star.....not much said about the Star.....I've cruised other cruise lines before and always sent the clothes out. Does anyone know if the laundry has irons available?:)

So I would guess.......Yes! :D

I saw a picture on webshots that someone had taken of the laundry room on the Golden and it looked like about 3 or 4 ironing boards and irons!

I just checked the deck plans for the Star and they look exactly the same as the Golden - in regards to the location and size of the laundry anyway!

So your laundry should have the same facilities - which includes irons.

Every deck (or nearly every) deck that has passenger cabins has laundry facilities and all have an iron. Pick a time that you don't think will be busy - on a formal night that is a sea day and we are eating late, I might throw in a load late afternoon as everyone else is busy dressing and I have plenty of time. Packaged soap and dryer sheets are available in vending machines for $1 and I believe washers and dryers are $1/load also. Don't bring quarters, you can get them from the purser's desk.

I just found these photos on another thread. They are of the Star and there is a closet picture. Looks liike there is a small cabinet behind the mirror.

From CC member Coral

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/star2004/PhotoAlbum56.html

Those were great! Thank you so much - I had only gotten around to searching Webshots for Golden pictures - and most people don't take pictures of the Closet :D

The closet looks huge - and it looks like it has mirrored doors! Love that little shelf and mirror in the hall too.

For the clothes, not the kids!:)

They might fit.

Around the mid 70's I had a friend who was manager of a hotel and they had these hugh washer and dryers. She put her little girl in one joking around and closed the door(not realizing it was still on) and as soon as she closed it and realized it was on, she quickly opened it. Unfortunately it did a half turn and the kid plopped down on the bottom. She wasn't hurt, but she wouldn't talk to her mom for several days. Her mother really felt bad. I was there at the time so I know this really happened.

Archived