Fascination Review 2/18/2012

birdy

I know how much I enjoyed all of your review, so I thought I would write one for you. This was DH and my 4th (all w/carnival), DS and DD's 3rd, SIL, DNf, DNf's 2nd, her BF's first. Our ages are between 49 and 43 and 15-12. I must say I was a little disappointed with the Fascination dinning staff. They were not overly friendly and the buffet food was sometimes cold but a bad day of cruising is still better than a good day at work!!!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Left for Jacksonville via airport.

We arrived in Jacksonville at Midnight. A fellow passenger told us that they close the airport at Midnight. We called the Jacksonville Plaza and Hotel and they sent the shuttle to column 6. It was run by the Jax Parking and Cruise company. There were others waiting for the same shuttle but we had stood all the way to the right and he pulled up right next to us. Check in was a breeze. We told them we had 4 extra kids for the shuttle the next day and the desk clerk to care of it.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The rooms were very much like a Super 8. They were clean and that’s all I cared about. I found only 3 towels in the bathroom for the next morning so I headed down to the desk. No problem, he gave me three more! I only asked for one. The breakfast area is small, but we were able to get our cereal, yogurt, bagel and take it back up to the room. Our scheduled shuttle was for 10:30. I walked toward to the road and did see a store to the left that sold wine (we don’t drink wine but it is important to others). We were loaded on to the shuttle and off we go. The trip does not take very long.

We had a passports and boarding passes out so an officer to see them when we pulled up to the port. We were dropped off in the shuttle parking area and walked across the road to the terminal. We gave the porter our one checked bag, with a tip. When we entered the “rat maze” was in full swing but moving quickly. What did I care? I was on vacation! Soon we were up to the desk and checking in. We headed for our embarkation picture and boarding.

We headed right to the Lido deck and then up to the next deck to find some chairs to “nest” in. We were a party of 8, so it was a large nest with all the carry on suitcases. Lunch was good and we started with our first DOD. This is where we met Antonio our pool bar waiter. He was the best employee on the ship. I wish I had gotten his last name.

At 1:30 we headed to our room R222 and R226. They are both inside staterooms for 4 people. They had the bottom bed in the king configuration and it had two uppers. When it was time for dinner (cruise casual) we changed and headed to the Imagination dining room. We were assigned a table for 10. Our dinner companions were a very nice older couple (Carol and Tony) from Missouri (and Louisiana). I was afraid we would overwhelm them but they were great. Our Maitre D’ was Joseph ‘the Super Charged Maitre D’” I thought he was annoying. Our waiters were competent but not very friendly, not like the Triumph (they were the best).

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show. It was the same thing as last year. Trevor Block was our cruise director. We didn’t hear from him to often, which was nice. There weren’t a lot of announcements. Whenever the Captain came on, you couldn’t understand him. We went to the Punchliner comedy club to see Leighann Lord. She was o.k. We enjoyed the late night ice cream. It was also a great place to people watch.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

After breakfast in the Sensation Dinning room we headed for our favorite nest site, deck 11. We spent the day crisping in the sun. The ship was rolling quite a bit all day long. That evening was elegant night. We all dressed up for our family portrait. The lobster and prime rib was very good. After dinner we headed for the Hey Mambo show which, again, was the same as last year. The singers were not very good. We left before it was finished.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Freeport

After breakfast on the Lido (same food as dinning room, just quicker) we debarked and caught a taxi to Our Luycaya. We paid for both ways and received a ticket for the trip back at 4 pm. We walked left toward the beach. After stopping for a picture at the police station sign we headed down the ally way toward the beach. We passed by Billy’s Conch Shack and the hair braiding ladies and turned left and parked our but on the sand. The kids enjoyed the blow up mats I had brought from home ($.50 Walmart at the end of the season). We should have walked about 100 yards farther down the beach because within an hour it was crowded except a little farther down. We watched a local guy swim and retrieve conch shells. He sold them for $5-10. We got 2 for $10 and one free. Then Wade found one in the ocean. We grabbed a little lunch at Billy’s. At 2:30 we headed back to the marketplace. Once you see one stall, you have seen them all. We got a couple of hats and a sweatshirt. The ride back to the ship was interesting. Now I understand why they call the moped riders “suicide jockeys” the way the shuttle driver drove. Back at the pier we toured the marketplace and found the Harley shop for t-shirts. Also found a drug store for some aloe lotion. Then we found the little drink stand. Very good Bahama Mamma’s! We boarded and headed for our room. After showers we headed to dinner. This was the first night that our dinner entrée took over an hour to arrive with no explanation. Of course this was the night of the past guest party and we were late. Just in time to put our names in the drawing and have a drink. The rum punch had something like maple syrup in it. We set it down and got a Whiskey sour. Got to see the new video and then it was over. We headed to the family comedy show and watched the end, then stayed for the adult show.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nassau

We debarked and walked the pier. I then remembered my paperwork was back in the room. High tailed it back, retrieved the paperwork, and speed walked back to the terminal. We caught a taxi to Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. We got our wristbands for the Dolphin Encounter and beach day. Not sure what the blue wristband was for. We got the water taxi at 10:30 and headed for the island. After a brief information session on dolphins and conservation we headed to our section. We first got to sit around the floating square. Then we had to go in the water in family units, kneel down (the water was cold), and have one person get a dolphin kiss for the photographer. After everyone had their shot, they put us in the water again on the platform. Since we were a group of 8 we had two more people. We got to rub “Andy” on his back and belly, get a kiss, feed him a fish, touch his teeth, and get a dance. After the encounter we headed to the beach. We stopped by the touch tank, saw the sea lions, and got lunch. The kids enjoyed the water toys. DH, DD, and I walked out to see the ocean. The waves were intense. We found some nice shells. We caught the glass bottom boat back to the ship. Not sure if we were suppose to but we did. We headed into the straw market. If you see one stall, you’ve seen them all. Got a dress and a hematite necklace. We headed back to the ship. DD and I were the only ones to want to get dressed up for dinner. The others headed to the grill for a burger. Our dinner companions were glad to see us. After dinner we listened to the band on the Lido deck. They were the warm up for the Mardi Gras party. We were too tired to stay up for it, so we headed for bed.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We decided to spend our last sea day at the back of the ship at waterworks. They kids had spent more time in the hot tubs and I wanted to test out the slide. Since we left DS sleeping, I got worried when Kenny said he had seen him at breakfast. It was before we had set up at the back of the ship. I walked around twice and couldn’t find him. Finally, I spotted him up on the sports deck. He had fallen asleep in a lounge chair. I brought him back and we all tried the big slide and the racing slides. Again the ship was really rolling. Before dinner, DD and I went to the shops. She found a necklace and earrings on sale. Dinner was again late. I forgot about the farewell party. We had just enough time to get seats at the family comedy show. Afterwards the kids headed to the arcade where DNf won a pair of Beats headphones. DH and I headed back to the adult comedy show. Afterward we headed to the ice cream stand for one last late night cone and off to bed.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

We did self assist, so we had a nice breakfast and headed for debarking at 9:00. We walked off, gave our forms to customs, and headed to the waiting shuttle. He needed to wait for 3 more passengers. After 25 minutes he called and got permission to take us to the airport.

I look forward to booking our next adventure!

We are thinking about sailing her in late March?!? I have no worries regarding the ship, but concerned about the itinerary. How was the weather when you went? We love the sun, and I am scared the temperatures and water will be a little too cold. In the past, we have chosen the Caribbean itineraries, but thinking of changing it up a bit.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We had early seating dinner. I have all the fun times and will scan them tomorrow and post them.

This was our first time on the Fascination but have been on the Triumph and Inspiration.

The weather was warm during the day but cool at night. The water temp was cool but you got used to it quickly.

Thought of another question, since you were just on the Fascination. My son has googled Carnvial Fascination "images" & there is a pix of the Fascination with a blue slide - but the slide is in the main pool area - not where the waterworks slides were. I told him that there was no slide there when we went last July but then I thought maybe they had added one since (??).

My guess is that the slide is probably someone's idea of joke & that it was probably photo shopped in. Just curious though.

They have waterworks now in the back of the ship. There is a yellow and blue big water slide, 2 large racing slides, 2 little tykes slides as well as water buckets dumping, handle that dumps water on you, and stream that goes over the racing slide.

Can't upload funtimes because I scanned them as one. Will have to break them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived