NTSB Opens Investigation of Dawn Incident

ukcruiser1

What is the stonewalling?

What was the devious action? Did I miss the report of the NTSB?

I'm not really interested in your "major fiasco" relative to POA, but why should anyone have any regard for an unsubstantiated statement like that?

Actually I don't need a response at all, I'm just disregarding your entire message as "sour grapes", and would hope you would have better things to do than come over to this board and post such stuff when you have no interest in cruising with NCL. Your post does not appear to be helpful to anyone.

Good one, TomCt!

The NTSB gets involved.....my tax dollars at work - wonder if they'll find the cause to be weather-related?? ;)

They may very well find the cause to be weather related, but I believe they have to investigate ANY incidence of this kind, where there is potential for lawsuits. It does not mean they are saying NCL did anything wrong, they just have to have a record of what happened, thus an investigation has to ensue.

Sounds like this discussion has gotten off-track with some rather sarcastic comments.

Can someone answer one of the earlier questions that Hei1980 posed about THE WAVE? Where did it go...did it eventually hit land or what?

We were on the Costa Meditrerranea as well that night returnng from Nassau to Ft. Lauderdale The water did not appear especially rough, but we were definitely rocking and rolling a bit. We thought it was because our cabin was in the very front of the ship.

They may very well find the cause to be weather related, but I believe they have to investigate ANY incidence of this kind, where there is potential for lawsuits. It does not mean they are saying NCL did anything wrong, they just have to have a record of what happened, thus an investigation has to ensue.

Saying "the weather is to blame" is akin to saying that an iceberg, and not the captain, nor White Star Lines, was responsible for the Titanic disaster.

The official cause of the TITANIC disaster was fairly innocuous--striking an iceberg in an area every mariner knew was thick with them.

But, it was negligence on the part of the captain to steam through the area disregarding dangers that "a reasonable captain" would knew existed by doing this, and it was negligence on the part of the manufacturer of the ship who supplied iron that was inadequate to withstand the cold North Atlantic sea, iron which simple tests would reveal this reality.

There is more to this story, and hopefully everyone won't rush to judgment. At worst, THE VERY WORST, we will find out ways to make ships less vulnerable to having this happen again.

You guys have alot to fight about--meanwhile:

why did the wave hit broadside instead of turning the ship into the wave?? maybe a rookie or a drunk driving??

why were they in the storm at all?? DID THE $1M from the Donald Trump video cause them to go thru the storm?? Who decided ?? captain or home office?? --whoever it was , I hope they fry their ass!!

Sounds like this discussion has gotten off-track with some rather sarcastic comments.

Can someone answer one of the earlier questions that Hei1980 posed about THE WAVE? Where did it go...did it eventually hit land or what?

It is my understanding that because rogue waves are NOT caused by "running" across the ocean floor he way a tsunami does they dissipate quickly - the energy is not sustainable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMOR

The "stonewalling" and apparent devious action by NCL regarding this instance is not unexpected. I was a "victim" of the major fiasco after the 2 year ago sinking of the Pride of America. That is why NCL is off my list of acceptable cruise lines permanently!

Just out of curiosity -- Who is on your list of acceptable cruise lines?

I am just wondering because I bet you could go on any one of their boards and hear the same statements from folks over there and for similar reasons.

"ACCEPTABLE LINES" In rough order of preference

Holland America

RSSC

Celebrity

RCCI

Princess *

Cunard **

BTW, I have been cancelled by both Celebrity and HAL and received reasonable and prompt compensation, unlike NCL's treatment.

* Haven't been on Princess since '96, but they were great then.

** After my recent QE2 cruise, my opinion is that this ship it is highly overrated. Service and food could not stack up compared to the prior cruise on HAL Rotterdam.

Never cruised Disney before but hope to add them after my Dec 05 trip.

Never ventured on Carnival based on comments from relatives and the lines general reputation, so cannot include them.

Would like to try Oceanic, Costa and some of the luxury lines, so have no opinions.

I'm not really interested in your "major fiasco" relative to POA, but why should anyone have any regard for an unsubstantiated statement like that?

Actually I don't need a response at all, I'm just disregarding your entire message as "sour grapes", and would hope you would have better things to do than come over to this board and post such stuff when you have no interest in cruising with NCL. Your post does not appear to be helpful to anyone.

I find the comments on these boards, BOTH positive and negative, to be very useful when selecting cruises. After all, these boards are not supposed to be "house organs" for the various cruise lines!

Anyone interested in my experience with NCL is welcome to contact me directly.

It is my understanding that because rogue waves are NOT caused by "running" across the ocean floor he way a tsunami does they dissipate quickly - the energy is not sustainable.

Looks like your understanding may be correct!!

Excerpt:

Mountainous waves, brief, intense and appearing from nowhere, go mostly unnoticed by humans. Until some, like the 70-footer that swept into a Norwegian Cruise Line vessel off the South Carolina coast Saturday, remind us of their existence. They are called rogue, or freak, waves.

"They're more common than we thought," said Mark Donelan, professor of marine physics at the University of Miami. "On any given day, this sort of thing is happening. You don't notice them unless somebody is there with a ship or an oil rig."

Rogue waves, different from tsunamis that result from earthquakes, form in three basic ways. They can grow out of strong winds beating against an opposing ocean current; they can be the product of intersecting waves driven together by storms; or they can result from swells influenced by the topography of the sea floor.

Even a mini-rogue can pack a salty punch. In 1992, an 18-footer roared ashore in Daytona Beach, damaging hundreds of parked cars and causing 75 minor injuries.

Once thought to be mariners' tall tales, rogue waves damage or sink one or two ships each week, say scientists who study the huge swells in depth. Of the 200-plus supertankers and large container ships lost to storms during the past two decades, rogue waves are thought to have been a major cause.

The 965-foot Norwegian Dawn encountered one such wave during a storm as it headed back to New York from the Bahamas with 2,000 passengers aboard.

The wave pummeled the vessel, reaching as high as deck 10, flooding 62 cabins and injuring four people. The ship sought immediate shelter in Charleston, S.C., before chugging to port in New York on Monday.

Cruise-liner spokeswoman Susan Robison said the boat's captain had slowed its speed to 4 knots rather than its usual 20 to 25 knots while navigating through the storm. That may have minimized damage, she said.

"In a situation like that, you want to be going a real slow speed," Robison said. But rogue waves "come upon you so fast, there's really nothing you can do," said John Becker, an instructor at the RTM STAR Center in Dania Beach, which teaches captains and pilots how to operate large boats.

Tom

4 Knots - I guess they were racing back to NY like so many have speculated :rolleyes:

Right!!

NCL couldn't have won on this one! If they had headed to port, and waited out the storm, there would have been hell to pay with thosw arriving home late, and those waiting to board. Since they have been handling rough sea conditions satisfactorily in the past, us "laypersons" don't have enough info to say they made the wrong choice, unless they should have known a "rogue wave" was coming.

Bottom line for us: "We have our reservations for June, with no reservation."

The "stonewalling" and apparent devious action by NCL regarding this instance is not unexpected. I was a "victim" of the major fiasco after the 2 year ago sinking of the Pride of America. That is why NCL is off my list of acceptable cruise lines permanently!

and it's NCLs fault POA had it's problems, where did thay come from and if you have no interest in NCL why are you on this board, you have nothing to offer, are here to see what you can stir up put in your 2 cents worth. I never understand some of you. NMNita

Saying "the weather is to blame" is akin to saying that an iceberg, and not the captain, nor White Star Lines, was responsible for the Titanic disaster.

There is more to this story, and hopefully everyone won't rush to judgment. At worst, THE VERY WORST, we will find out ways to make ships less vulnerable to having this happen again.

Very well said.

We'll be infinitely better served by the facts of the NTSB investigation than the opinions of either NCL-bashers or NCL-cheerleaders.

You guys have alot to fight about--meanwhile:

why did the wave hit broadside instead of turning the ship into the wave?? maybe a rookie or a drunk driving??

why were they in the storm at all?? DID THE $1M from the Donald Trump video cause them to go thru the storm?? Who decided ?? captain or home office?? --whoever it was , I hope they fry their ass!!

The wave hit broadside???????? Thought it was stern slightly starboard hence the 9502, 10502 windows broken?????????

Who's the rookie or the drunk??????????

yes, yes, yes -- sanity, now. I posted something similar on another one of the Dawn threads an hour or so ago. I liked your Titanic analogy, better than some of the ones I used. My best guess is that there will be a tort suit on this. Others have said they were coming back from Nassau that night and didn't encounter a storm -- the itinery changed for the Dawn because of the pr date -- that has been admitted -- and if it hadn't? This is a little sticky because it is not negligent to change an itinery -- but they sure as heck had better offered a refund for same, as the airlines do for a schedule change. I'm trying to say that there is an angle here that is not exactly -- did they sail into the storm to make the pr date? If the latter is the truth, then that is negligence, and it is intentional, and that means punitives.

Archived