Informal nights on Holland America

vistapat

My husband and I are sailing on Holland America's Westerdam in June, and this will be our first time on this line. According to their website, they have formal night, which I understand, and casual nights, which I also understand. But they list their dress code for "informal nights" as jackets (ties optional) for gentlemen. I thought I remembered a post some time ago to the effect that Holland America is strict on the jacket requirement for informal nights. While my husband will gladly wear suits for formal evenings, can he get away without packing a sports jacket for the informal ones?

Has anyone had any experience with dining room personnel refusing to allow gentlemen in without a jacket on informal nights? The cruise is in Europe. Will that make any difference to the degree of formality?

Thanks for your help. :)

Have sailed several hundred days on HAL. Have seen people refused to enter diningroom with out the requested clothing. My husband takes sport jackets long sleeve shirts and ties for informal. I wear suits or a dressy dress. Often with glitter as you would wear to a holiday party. Europeans dress more formal than Americans, well most of them do. Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time. Wish you the best

We cruised on the Rotterdam last May - wonderful ship, service, etc. we absolutely loved it! On informal nights my husband wore khaki's a sports coat and a long sleeve dress shirt - no tie one night; tie the other. Wasn't a problem at all. I'm in my late 40's; he's 12 years older - I was in the younger bracket of cruisers on this trip. Lots of folks in their late 60's - 70's. Most were dressed according to the code posted on the HA website. I have to say though, we did see it all. There were a handful of men who didn't wear jackets and were in the dining room. He'll be fine with the sport coat. Have a great trip.

vistapat; We have sailed HAL as well and have seem many variations on the 'informal' night theme, as relates to dress. My husband brought a navy blazer, which he wore on informal nights. There were, however, men in shirt sleeves, golf shirts and even cargo pants. And not a word was said. Enjoy your trip.:)

I have been on many HAL cruises, from 7-15 days long. It's my experience that the longer the cruise, the more the folks follow the dress code. Also where you are sailing seems to have an impact as well (i.e. Caribbean puts folks in a more casual dress mood). Yes, you will see a variety of just about everything but jeans in the DR on informal night; however, most of the men will be wearing sports coats. If you and your DH don't mind being in the minority and an exception to the rule, then tell DH he's okay to cruise without a sports jacket. Happy Sailing!

My DH takes two sport jackets. One is black and the other green. The black he will wear with black slacks and dress shirt etc for formal night and the other for semi formal nights. However, he can also wear the black with short sleeve shirt and no tie on semi formal nights. It works out really well and he always fits in and looks wonderful. He has a white dress shirt (the one with pleats) and a bow tie that makes his jacket look like a proper dress suit. ;)

Archived