Bermuda 1st week of May?

KevinsCruising

I know all the reports show average temp in Bermuda to be between 71 and 75 degrees with a water temp of 75. Contemplating on cruising to Bermuda then but also hesitant if the weather and water will be too cold. Both the water on the ship and the ocean for swimming ?

We have had a very mild winter on the East Coast and I would think that may play an effect on the ocean temp. But I could be wrong also.

What do you think?

The ship's pools are kept at about 86 degrees, which will feel "cold" to your skin.

As far as Bermuda is concerned, I would plan on the published 'averages"....it takes a lot to change the water temps day to day. You should not expect 90 degree water, ever.

Bermuda is about as far south as Charleston, SC....not in the tropics!!

We sailed two years ago to Bermuda on the Dawn on May 6th I believe. We had wonderful weather in Bermuda and had no trouble swimming in the ocean at Horseshoe Beach. Temps ranged from mid to high seventies during the day. I don't remember what the ocean temps were but I don't recall it being too cold so that's probably a good thing! The first and last day were cool, particularly that last night on the way home. One of my favorite cruises...but then again we were in the Garden Villa and you really have to try and have a bad time there! Good luck.

For most people the water in Bermuda is too cold for swimming until about Memorial Day.

It's all relative my friend. We tough New Yorkers don't get intimidated by cool ocean water :D. Floridians look at us like were crazy if we rent a convertible in December and drive around with the top down in 75 degree weather!

It's all relative my friend. We tough New Yorkers don't get intimidated by cool ocean water :D. Floridians look at us like were crazy if we rent a convertible in December and drive around with the top down in 75 degree weather!

I'm a New Yorker too...OK...I live in NJ now. ;)

I agree that many people from the Northeast might find the water in Bermuda OK in the first week of May because let's face it...the water around here never gets very warm.

But...I said most people find it too cold, not everyone finds it too cold...that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

My first-ever cruise was to Bermuda on May 9th, 1999, and I was pleasantly surprised at the temperature of the water.

On our first day there we went parasailing, and when we were drawn down for the "splash" I was bracing myself for chilling water (and looked fairly silly cringing up :o ) but was stunned at how warm it was.

We spent the next two days swimming at Tobacco Bay, and snorkeling at several spots around the island. We didn't find the water to be uncomfortable at all, and I'm a big wimp about cold water.

Granted, that may have been an extremely unusual year, so while it is entirely possible that the water may be too chilly for swimming, you might be pleasantly surprised, considering the warm winter we've had this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :D

I like all this positive energy out there :D

Actually looked at Carnival Miracle last night to maybe do some warmer ports, the prices were pretty good but I checked again this morning and the price went up after midnight. That is my luck. They were offering past guest discounts....no more...gone :mad:

And honestly the thought of not cruising Freestyle had me a little on edge. Thoughts of packing a suit, eating with a set time and possibly someone that I do not want to sit with..etc etc etc. We all know the drill. Its hard to leave Freestyle once your use to it.

Its all in the wifes hand now. If she says "Book it Danno" then I am there. Thanks for the info ;)

Archived