Attire for a 6yr old on HAL in Europe?

nothriver

Fair game to start a "what to wear" post if it is for the kids? :cool:

My 6 yr old daughter is tall and thin and its pretty hard to find clothes that fit her, so we pretty much stick to jeans and t-shirts. I used to dress her primarily in dresses and leggings, but she's gotten so tall, the leggings are now too short or too big through the waist.

We are set for formal nights, dresses and tights are no problem.

I'm unsure however what to dress her in for the other evenings. I'm thinking khaki pants and nice tops should suffice, although we currently don't actually own any pants other than jeans - as she's jumped from 6slim to 8slim in the the last 6 months. So I figured since I had to buy new clothes anyway, I started looking at European boutique kids brands... someone pull me away from the edge!

Anyone have advice for "cruise casual" for kids in Europe?

How about long skirts? My daughter is also tall and slim. She's just turning four and we will be doing a British Isles cruise in August. We'll be doing a lot of sundresses and long skirts. I love long skirts for slim girls in that the waist continues to fit even as they get taller, so what starts at the ankle continues to tea length and then to just below the knee. Know what I mean? Paired with a top or a twin set (my daughter is always cold) they look really cute.

Hope this helps!

:-) amcb

Don’t know what your daughter’s “style” ;) is, but pretty ribbons and a different hairstyle for evenings (high ponytail with ribbons, pretty braid with a small sparkle pin or clip, etc.) can dress up a casual attire and your daughter will “feel” a little dressed up as well. I like the idea of khaki slacks and also the long skirt the other poster mentioned. Going to a lot of expense isn’t necessary. Especially since kids outgrow everything so quickly.

Also, it might be a good idea to have one or two pretty sweaters at the ready as air conditioning is sometimes a bit much. A pretty sweater can dress up an outfit so that you won’t have to resort to – oh no! – a sweatshirt!

Thank you both so much for your excellent suggestions. My daughters everyday style is "tomboy" accessorized with bits of food and sand from the playground. :rolleyes: We are all looking for to "dressing" a bit on the cruise! She is especially excited about "the party nights" as she calls the formal evenings, she shops for "party dresses" everywhere we go!

We'll be packing as lightly as possible. Long skirts, tops and accessories that can mix and match with her shoes/sweaters/accessories (black and pink) for the formal nights will be perfect.

Shopping I will go - thanks again for stearing me in the right direction!

Do you have a Justice store in your area? My string bean 7 year old loves their clothes, and they had a lot of long skirts when I was there last weekend. Also picked her up a couple of really cute maxi sundresses that I think should last her for quite a while.

Do you have a Justice store in your area? My string bean 7 year old loves their clothes, and they had a lot of long skirts when I was there last weekend.

Totally agree with this suggestion; this is quite a popular brand for that age group. They have lots and lots of mix and match and layering pieces. But, never pay full price at Justice. If you decide to go there, go to their webpage and sign up, or do an online search for a coupon code. Usually, you will be able to get a coupon for 40% off everything in the store, or sometimes the entire store will have a sale and you don't need the coupon.

The current coupon code for 40% off, good until 12 March is 763.

I like this webpage to search for coupon codes:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/shopjustice.com

Archived