Over-Insured - Subsequent Travel Expenses Covered?

pseudoware

When purchasing travel insurance last month for a trip in June, I included in the covered amount the $1000 deposit I paid for our cruise (The remaining balance is due in March and is still unpaid). Currently, this amount is still fully refundable, so I really didn't need to cover that amount to this point.

I have since purchased non-refundable train tickets (Eurostar). These were purchased after I bought the insurance. Can I just consider the cost of the train tickets to be covered as part of the extra $1000 of coverage I bought? Or, if I need to make a claim, will the insurance co. take issue w/the fact that the train tix were bought after the coverage was purchased?

Hmmmm... tricky. You'll certainly have a $1000 policy no matter when you add to the trip cost.

However, for plans like TravelGuard, maintaining the pre-ex waiver requires prompt policy purchase and prompt addition of non-refundable payments. However, you HAVE purchased the policy promptly, and the cruise deposit is not yet non-refundable (so you don't technically need insurance on it.) So, under a strict reading of the policy text, you are fine until your non-refundable costs exceed the original policy amount (at which point you just call up and add more cost to the policy.)

When purchasing travel insurance last month for a trip in June, I included in the covered amount the $1000 deposit I paid for our cruise (The remaining balance is due in March and is still unpaid). Currently, this amount is still fully refundable, so I really didn't need to cover that amount to this point.

I have since purchased non-refundable train tickets (Eurostar). These were purchased after I bought the insurance. Can I just consider the cost of the train tickets to be covered as part of the extra $1000 of coverage I bought? Or, if I need to make a claim, will the insurance co. take issue w/the fact that the train tix were bought after the coverage was purchased?

For all third-party plans that I'm aware of:

If you have to cancel today for a covered reason you would be able to file a claim for up to $1000 of losses. It wouldn't matter if the loss came from the cruise portion or the train portion. In your case it sounds like your cruise fare is 100% refundable at this point so in reality you're covering up to $1000 of the non-refundable train tickets (you didn't say how much those cost).

If you have to cancel for what turns out to be a pre-existing medical condition you'd have to discuss with your insurer how and/or if you'd have any coverage at all depending on the terms and conditions of the plan's waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, when you bought the original coverage, when you made the initial cruise booking, when you bought the train tickets, etc.

Thanks for the replies. The train tix cost < $1000, and the coverage also includes airfare for two round-trip flights for 4 pax.

I'm wondering if it would fly to say I purposely over-insured knowing I was going to make another non-refundable purchase shortly, but just didn't get around to it until recently.

I'm considering calling the insurer (Travel Guard) to clarify, although it's difficult to envision them saying, "No, you're good, don't give us anymore of your money." :rolleyes:

Archived