Disney cruise pricing

startraveler

While on board Disney Dream recently, we got a quote for a future 2013 cruise. Knowing Disney prices, we weren't sure whether or not it was for two people (we were quoted $2200 or so for a class 11, inside stateroom) so we went to the desk and asked someone else.

She confirmed it was for two people, and we were excited because it was the Disney Fantasy. Then we asked as to the deposit and were told it was dependent on the cruise fare, because the fare always goes up.

We were puzzled. Not only because she had just given us a price, but because on all the cruise we've been on - between my wife and I we have close to a dozen voyages on different lines - it's usually around $250 a person.

That and one other incident (at the Disney resort we stayed at afterward) cause us to rethink about the cruise. We're not cruising with Disney in 2013, and quite frankly, while my wife is less adamant, me personally it'll be a long time before I sail Disney again.

But the question remains: What's your experience regarding deposits on Disney cruises? Is it a fixed amount? Or is it indeed, dependent on one cruise fare (such as paying a percentage of the fare?)

But the question remains: What's your experience regarding deposits on Disney cruises? Is it a fixed amount? Or is it indeed, dependent on one cruise fare (such as paying a percentage of the fare?)

It is 20% of the cruisefare. If you did booking onboard, it is 10% of cruisefare.

Which would have been either $250 or $500, as we thought. Thanks - it seemed like Disney didn't care about us booking another cruise. When we asked one of our TAs that we deal with, she also commented it was unusual we weren't given a deposit price.

Many people booking onboard basically book a dummy reservation - this gaurantee the reduced deposit, 10% discount off cruisefare, and additional OBC. Once you book a dummy ressie, you can subsequently transfer to another date, ship, itinerary, and/or even add people and the minimum deposit requirement will change depends on the cruisefare. The 10% discount and OBC move along with the reservation.

Not sure if this was your question, and I'm not sure what caused you to think Disney didn't care about booking another cruise:confused:

The question was, "What is our deposit should we book the cruise?"

The answer we got from the rep was, "It depends because our fares always go up."

The rep should have told us, as you said, either 10 percent of the cruise fare if we booked on board or 20 percent if we wait 'til we got home. And since that rep confirmed the prices for us, she should have said, "Well, if you're interested in staying in the same category room you're in now, the fare will be such-and-such and the deposit will then be either this or that."

Since she didn't say that it seemed like she didn't care whether or not we booked another cruise with Disney. Even with dummy reservations - when we call up a TA and say, "Hey, we're thinking of taking this long a cruise around this time" we get a response of, "Here's a cruise for the time period, leaving out of here, here's where you would be staying, and here's the price and deposit."

Archived