QE2 cabins

lobol

my wife and I are cruising on the QE2 later this year. We are looking at C4 or C3 grade.Cabins offered are C4 nos. 3167 and 3176 and C3 nos. 1107, 1110,1115,2138 although I beleive that there are others available. Any advice on the cabins offered and on the best cabin nos. to look for at each grade

Lobol

As one who has sailed on QE2 numerous times in Caronia Grade cabins, I can tell you without a doubt that you would be wise to book at least a c2 category. CAbins in lesser grades such as c5 through c3 are usually irregular in shape and in mediocre locations. The cost difference is not that great. Actually, I would book a c2 guarantee which gets you a nice cabin with the possibility for an upgrade to c1 or even higher to P class. Look those deck plans over carefully as recommended by the earlier poster. Good luck!

Patrick

Bonni99, thanks for that link- great site for deck plans and square footages!

I also agree with Deck Chair to book the guarantee, if possible. We just got upgraded from a P3 Guarantee, and are thrilled with the result.

:)

We are booked on the July 30th QE Cruise to the Fijords and Iceland. We have a choice between P2 Cabins #2154 (larger cabin front of ship) and #3083, slightly smaller, but midship location. Does anyone know which one might be nicer. Also, are tuxedo rentals available on board?

We sailed on the QM 2 and rentals were available. Also which is preferable the Britannia or Princess Grill.

susietb, we will be on the Iceland / Norway cruise, too. Thus I am happy to try to help you.

While I do not know either of the cabins from the inside, there are some points you might consider. 2154 has been added later, the space was originally occupied by two otherwise used rooms. Generally many people say that the original cabins like 3083 are nicer if you like the traditional ocean liner feeling.

2154 if obviously one deck above 3083, thus there is one stair less to walk, but the staircase A next to 2154 is rather useless for Princess Class passengers. It does not exit to Quarter Deck and on Upper Deck you would have to pass through the Mauretania restaurant. The "first class staircase" right next to 3083 is much more comfortable.

Regarding the two grills: Princess Grill is all burgundy, Britannia Grill all blue. The Princess Grill is preferred by many passengers as it is the original one. You can even enter it via the intimiate Princess Grill Bar on One Deck. But there is no difference in terms of service or quality.

Tuxedo rental: In 2003 prices were $75/1 night, $115/2 nights, 150/3, 190/4, 225/5 for a black tuxedo, more with a cream tuxedo jacket.

Maybe we will meet at the bar, enjoy your cruise!

We have a choice between P2 Cabins #2154 (larger cabin front of ship) and #3083, slightly smaller, but midship location.

Susietb, another factor to bear in mind is location on the ship - I sailed in 2014 (tiny MI) but close in location to 2054 - you will notice ship movement here a lot more than you will in 3083 - so depends on whether you like that or not...

Peter

mufi thanx for the great photos. brings back memories of the the great lady. you can always tell if you have a good room on the qe2 because it has 3 port holes right???. we recently sailed on the qm2 but the qe2 is still our favorite. thanx again. jim

Susie, why not buy a tux. Will cost less than the rental and you will have it for future cruises. You can find great selection and prices in the US at Syms, and in the UK at Moss Bros., who also have the concession on the ship. This past December on QE2, out of curiousity, I was quoted over USD 200 for a 4 night rental.

I think you made the absolute right choice of cabin. It's original with walk in closet. Princess Grill is also all original, sort of art deco design. The only complaint would be that the chairs do not have high backs. And definitely check out the intimate PG Bar, hidden away at C stairwell, port side of One deck.

my wife and I are cruising on the QE2 later this year. We are looking at C4 or C3 grade.Cabins offered are C4 nos. 3167 and 3176 and C3 nos. 1107, 1110,1115,2138 although I beleive that there are others available. Any advice on the cabins offered and on the best cabin nos. to look for at each grade

Lobol

I'd recommend something on Deck 1. You can exit easily to the stern of the ship and it saves you some stair climbing. The ship is a grand, traditional ocean liner, the last one, really. You'll love her. A C3 Cabin is just fine in my opinion, by the way. I prefer dining in the Caronia class restaurant, which comes with a "C" cabin. It was the original First Class dining room and it is beautiful. I've been at the Captains table twice there. It is a wonderful place to dine. Have a great voyage.

Richard

We are a spanish couple, we are going in QE2, 13th august, and it's going to be the first time we travel in a non-spanish cruise. I speak english, but my husband doesn't speak a word in english,so we would like to know if is going to be a real problem, or we will find someone who speaks our language. Moreover, Spanish people have different habits from English one, so we hope we find understanding people who show us how to behave in specific situations. I wait eagerly your comments. Thank you in advance!

As an non-native English speaker who has talked to many Germans on board, who do not speak English, I would not say it will be a "real problem" yet might cause some inconvenience.

Many people on board just speak English. Nevertheless your husband will be able to order your drinks and so on, language really does not matter in those cases. You can request menues and daily programs in your language so this might help. I am pretty sure there will be Spanish speaking waiters so you might request even before the cruise to be seated at a Spanish speaking table with such a waiter. At least sometimes there will be someone to speak English at the purser's office.

On the other hand your husband will miss out the lectures and some of the entertainment like comedians. But then there are so many other opportunities like shows, concerts, musicans ...

Obviously you will not be able to have indepth talks with only English speaking passengers, who will be the majority. But again, there will be some people who do speak Spanish and interactions with people you have no common language with can be fun, too.

Oh, and the habits: There are so many peopel from so many ways of live that nobody will mind. The cosmopolitan atmosphere on board of the QE2 is one of her big advantages and pleasures. Most people will be very interested as well as understanding and helpful if necessary.

It might be still to early for you but at least you can choose late seating if you dine in the Mauretania or just go to the dinning room shortly before 9 pm if you dine somewhere else. Well, time schedule wise you might have to adjust.

Too much said. Just enjoy your cruise!

Archived