The drive, it is worth it??

cruisinutsrus

I've done the drive from Miami to Key West 3 times. It is a beautiful drive but as others have said, if there is an accident on one of the bridges, forget it. Also, the police are VERY strict down there so do not even attempt to drive over the speed limit. If you are driving to or from at night, the speed limit dropps 10 mph, so take that into consideration. One time I drove down during their lobster season and the police were everywhere. Mostly making sure that people didn't try to take more than the limit, but it made for a nervewracking drive.

On my last trip to Key West, I was driving back to the Miami airport to make a 2 PM flight. Left Key West at 6:30 am to give myself enough time. Wouldn't you know the rental car breaks down about 60 miles north of Key West. Had no idea where I was. Used my cell phone to call Avis and because of the remote location, it took almost 2 hours for the flat bed to arrive. He drove us north to the next rental car company, grabbed another car, and just made the flight. Talk about a harried end to a very relaxing vacation.

Archived