Set Dining on Desire

We are on the Desire's Adriatic Explorer trip in June. This vessel has set dining times which, I understand , are 18.30 and 20.30. Can posters tell me

If these are the correct times? My wife is now:rolleyes: concerned that there may not be much time to recover from an excursion before going to dinner

Presumably everyone has to go in at the same time, is this a hectic process?

Is there a time when you have to exit the dining room ready for the next sitting? is this process rushed?

Who decides which passengers are on which tables? is it just a random selection?

Thanks in advance

We are on the Desire's Adriatic Explorer trip in June. This vessel has set dining times which, I understand , are 18.30 and 20.30. Can posters tell me

If these are the correct times? My wife is now:rolleyes: concerned that there may not be much time to recover from an excursion before going to dinner

Presumably everyone has to go in at the same time, is this a hectic process?

Is there a time when you have to exit the dining room ready for the next sitting? is this process rushed?

Who decides which passengers are on which tables? is it just a random selection?

Thanks in advance

Not sure whether these dining times are still current on Destiny - but would be surprised if they are much different as they have to get two sittings in within a reasonable time interval. As for being too rushed - I suppose that depends on whether you've been on a full-day excursion and how long you feel you need to get ready, and if you like to have an aperitif before dinner etc. We find in general with this itinerary we adopt a Diy and having got off the ship fairly early we're back by 3/4 pm as we're pretty tired after a day's exploration! (And of course it's cream tea time! ;) )

Yes, everyone does have to go in at the same time - actually entering the dining room wasn't an issue especially as I remember (in terms of a 'crush' that is - after all, once you know where your table is, you don't need to wait to be shown to your table - you just walk in and go directly to it). But in consideration of your fellow diners, it is expected that people arrive fairly much on time otherwise you are delaying the start of the meal on your table for everyone else. The waiter will take everyone's order at the same time - but clearly on any given day passengers may decide to go to the self-service so there could be empty spaces on the table and the waiters will have to make a decision about taking orders at some point even if some the diners are absent.

And yes, people do have to exit the dining room after first sitting as those due to eat on second sitting will be arriving for your table at 8.30 which has to be set by then too - but I don't recall that this was an issue either. In fact at the end of each sitting there is a 'show time' when the waiters sing for you. It's very good and they find time to do that between sittings too.

You can select 1st or 2nd sitting at the time of booking although late deals may mean your dining choice is already full. I think you may be able to swap on board if they can manage it - but of course that depends on numbers.

And the table groupings are already sorted when you get there (I imagine this is random) but you can request a change if you find your table companions insufferable! But again, their ability to accommodate such requests will depend on having some spare capacity. We've always found our fellow diners to be very nice though.

Thanks Kruz. We've already elected for a first sitting,just that my wife started having "second thoughts" - of course there are pro's and cons of each,personally - as the song goes - I get too hungry for dinner at 8 :)

My wife is having a "goldilocks moment" 6:00 is too soon and 8:30 too late - you can't win guys ha ha. I think we'll stick with early doors, I wonder if, after trying it out, we could change if we wanted.

Thanks Kruz. We've already elected for a first sitting,just that my wife started having "second thoughts" - of course there are pro's and cons of each,personally - as the song goes - I get too hungry for dinner at 8 :)

My wife is having a "goldilocks moment" 6:00 is too soon and 8:30 too late - you can't win guys ha ha. I think we'll stick with early doors, I wonder if, after trying it out, we could change if we wanted.

I go for 8.30 sitting on Destiny but now am thinking it is too late as there is a lot of time to fill before then. The excursions in the adriatic will all get back with plenty of time until first sitting.

On arrival day they set up a table were you go to select the table size you want, subject to availability of course. Or you can just take pot luck.

There is plenty of time to eat, even on first sitting, one and a half hours before they start relaying the tables for second sitting.

You can try to swap but it depends on whether someone else wants to swap the other way!

Early sitting Definitely the best Keith, we were on at Christmas and when leaving the restaurant you can go straight to the show and have the pick of the seats as everybody is between sittings if you get my drift :) then lay back and let your dinner settle.

Ps be carefull of the port side halfway down near the porthole..leak from the sprinkler :D

Archived