What documentation is needed for kids' friends?

tray

We leave in about 10 days and I am nervous about having all the right documentation. I know what my immediate family of 4 needs (passports), but each of our kids is taking a friend. Our son's friend is 19 (as is he) and our daughter's friend is 17 (our daughter is 16). I know that at the very least we need everyone to bring their current and up to date passports. I also know that the 17 year old has to have a notarized letter stating we can travel with her and guide emergency medical decisions if necessary (I copied a sample example off of the RCI website). I don't see mention of anything needed for the 19 year old, though.

It is 1:24 a.m. right now so I can't call RCI, so I thought I'd post on here since there are so many seasoned cruisers out there. I work tomorrow, but I will try to call them on my lunchbreak just to make sure as well!

Thanks!

Can't wait to board the Voyager....yippee!!!!:o:p:D

I would make sure you have the insurance card/information also. Your notarized letter for the 17 year old should include flight and ship info (sailing dates) and specifics such as permission to use the rock climbing wall, ice skate, get off the ship while in port, etc. Bring a few copies of that.

As for the 19 year old, make sure he has his insurance information with him. But I would also double check what RCI considers "adult age".

Have a great trip:D

On the safe side, if you have the 19yr old's parents sign a notarized letter as well, it can't hurt.

I would also have both parents sign the letter and have it notarized. If you belong to a Credit Union, they will usually notarize for free.

Whether notarization is required or not, this is one time that it doesn't hurt to go beyond what may or may not be needed. It is a lot easier to do something that may not be required then be at the check-in terminal and need something you did not do.

Also, you might want to have the parents on standby the day of embarkation. If any other documentation is needed, if they can be reached, they will be able to fax it to you. Again, probably not needed, but it is preparation.

Besides, you can insist that the friends call their parents before leaving and let them know they made it OK. After that - confiscate their cell phones and turn them off, or someone will have a cell-phone bill in the thousands of dollars when you return (unlimited cell phone contracts do not apply on ship - you will be charged per minute).

My niece travels quite often with me so I've been down this road many times. The government regulations state that you need a signed, notarized letter from the parent stating the child can travel with you, the exact location of the travel and the dates. This is not a Royal Caribbean rule but technically a government rule for international travel and RCI must comply. They can be VERY strict on this at both the airport (if they choose to challenge you on international flights) or at the cruise port. It's designed to help prevent international abductions.

Here is also what Royal Caribbean says on their website:

Q: What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or the legal guardian?

A: Adults who are the not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s), authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered.

I just got off the 2/27 Liberty sailing with my son's 18 year old friend. After they hit 18 they no longer need the notarized letter. I called ahead and verified this and did not have any problems. The woman I spoke to at C&A quoted me what was needed and the definition of a minor as it is written in their handbook.

I took him on a cruise when he was 17 and they were right on top of making sure you had proper documentation when it was needed.

I found the policy to be unclear just reading the FAQs on the website. Because you need to be 21 in most cases to book your own room I was unsure if that meant RC's definition of a minor was any person under 21 but apparently that is not the case.

My son took a friend on our last cruise he was 16 at the time, we had a notarized note from his parents in case of emergency but no one ever asked any questions or asked for any documents.

We had the same experience with taking two of my daughter's 16 year old friends. We had the notarized letters and documentation, but no one even asked to see it. I would have it, but don't worry about it.

I just got off the 2/27 Liberty sailing with my son's 18 year old friend. After they hit 18 they no longer need the notarized letter. I called ahead and verified this and did not have any problems. The woman I spoke to at C&A quoted me what was needed and the definition of a minor as it is written in their handbook.

I took him on a cruise when he was 17 and they were right on top of making sure you had proper documentation when it was needed.

I found the policy to be unclear just reading the FAQs on the website. Because you need to be 21 in most cases to book your own room I was unsure if that meant RC's definition of a minor was any person under 21 but apparently that is not the case.

This was exactly the same problem I had....the RCI site was not clear on if minority age was under 18 or under 21. The friend is 19...I really appreciate the input!!

Yes, it is 18 as others have answered. This is one time you don't want to assume no one will ask...just get what is needed and have it all in case. There would be nothing worse than being denied boarding. But yes, after boarding you won't have to worry about it anymore so have a great time!!!

And btw...just passing on to help anyone else who might happen to need the info...this rule also applies to you if your OWN kids have a different last name and your trip includes international travel! Been there, done that too...that's how I learned all I NEVER wanted to know about travel regulations. Now that I know, we have had easy, carefree check-ins everywhere and I don't worry about it anymore. :)

A mini hi-jack if you don't mind. Still on topic though.

Question? How do you work out the finances when you kid takes a friend?I know that there are several different answers. The reason that I ask is that we have one child. He was 11 this past summer on FOS. He was a bit lonely even though he loved AO and the kids there.

The issue we face is that I don't think the parents of my DS friend can afford a cruise. I sure would love for DS to find a close friend that had parents doing better financially

We did talk to a family on FOS pool that had an only son who is older and out of college now and they took friends for the child and said the friend's parents payed.

My son needs a new friend-sigh:confused:

Question? How do you work out the finances when you kid takes a friend?I know that there are several different answers. The reason that I ask is that we have one child. He was 11 this past summer on FOS. He was a bit lonely even though he loved AO and the kids there.

The issue we face is that I don't think the parents of my DS friend can afford a cruise. I sure would love for DS to find a close friend that had parents doing better financially

We did talk to a family on FOS pool that had an only son who is older and out of college now and they took friends for the child and said the friend's parents payed.

You made the invitation YOU paid if you don't have the money don't make the invitation it's that simple. I looks that You need to change neighborhood or find a better school for your Son.

We're bringing a fifteen year old freind of the family. At what age is a passport required?

Sixteen. But they are starting to recommend everyone travel with a passport these days.

Royal Caribbean's info on what you need:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5

A good resource for gov. info on travel that's relatively easy to follow:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

hope that helps! enjoy the cruise!

Sixteen. But they are starting to recommend everyone travel with a passport these days.

Royal Caribbean's info on what you need:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5

A good resource for gov. info on travel that's relatively easy to follow:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

hope that helps! enjoy the cruise!

oops forgot to say that many cruises will allow everyone, not just children to sail with only birth certificate and ID based on the cruise coming and going from the same port. and that's why i gave the RCI link...it depends on your cruise.

If you are going to do the asking I think you have to be prepared to cover all costs. (What we do.) If the parents are able to offer to offset some you can take them up on it but IMHO you can't expect it.

It's too bad that your son't friend's family is facing hard times as many Americans are right now but I hope that won't deter your son from keeping him as a friend. You never know when the tables might turn... ;)

Archived