Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

Oh, well. I always pay the tips. I have always left extra for my cabin steward at least. I don't always go to the main dining room, so sometimes I don't leave extra for them, but I would never remove any of the tips. I guess I don't mind paying them; I just figure them in to my trip and that's the end of it.

I'm not sure the sheet with those who do and those who don't tip is kind of weird though.

I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign accountg.gif

Juliana2012,

On all of our previous S&S statements the tips were added daily for each of the five of us.

not on carnival, it's not.

H82seaUgo,

In my experience they have been.

I think Carnival should raise cruise prices by $100 pp, pay their staff fairly and let me tip who went "above and beyond" for me.

TopofE,

I think Carnival should continue their current pricing scheme and current tipping guidelines. They should also publish a list of those who remove tips and the list should be widely available to all crew; those tips are theirs and they have every right to know who paid them and who did not as well as to adjust their service accordingly.

The privacy laws that others have mentioned have NOTHING to do with actual rights; health care regulations in regards to privacy are covered by 'HIPPA' which is designed to protect an individual's ability to purchase insurance. The ability to purchase insurance based on notoriety in a non health care setting would not be covered in any way, shape, nor form. :rolleyes:

Personally I think they should place a 'Do Not Bother' sign on the door of each guest that opts out of auto tips and allow them to barter with their steward for service. :cool:

Juliana2012,

On all of our previous S&S statements the tips were added daily for each of the five of us.

H82seaUgo,

In my experience they have been.

TopofE,

I think Carnival should continue their current pricing scheme and current tipping guidelines. They should also publish a list of those who remove tips and the list should be widely available to all crew; those tips are theirs and they have every right to know who paid them and who did not as well as to adjust their service accordingly.

The privacy laws that others have mentioned have NOTHING to do with actual rights; health care regulations in regards to privacy are covered by 'HIPPA' which is designed to protect an individual's ability to purchase insurance. The ability to purchase insurance based on notoriety in a non health care setting would not be covered in any way, shape, nor form. :rolleyes:

Personally I think they should place a 'Do Not Bother' sign on the door of each guest that opts out of auto tips and allow them to barter with their steward for service. :cool:

LOL @ do not bother

:D:D Too funny Paul :D:D

(and a great idea I might add)

Now I am totally befuddled, how can I be accused of stirring up trouble and causing controversy by just posting my review as many people do. I had some positives and a few suggestions.

I forgot to mention two points and since the thread was closed I started new ones, the other was complimenting the cruise director and the other was simply sharing an observation,no opinion mind you, just something I saw. Gee, I get beaten up regardless.

As one who always pays the tips plus give extra I do not care about this list. I have let my family know the people on those ships work hard and do double duty plus work weeks on end. I told my son lets see how your work habits and how you would greet people after working 10 - 15 days straight pulling double duty etc. They work hard so I think Carnival should stop the option of removing tips.

10-15 days straight?? Or you kidding?! These people work 6-9 MONTHS day-after-day with absolutely NO days off ever!! I know as I have worked for these lines. The hardest working crew are Cabin Stewards and Waiters. They work 6:00am-11:00pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK, with multiple breaks in between, and do it willingly and with smiles. They go months on end without seeing families and friends. I'm glad you do auto tip and tell your kids to respect others but it always amazes me how little people really know about the REAL schedules of ships crews.

You all keep arguing over the lousy couple bucks a day that gets automatically charged to your account.

I wish they'd post the list on the jumbo screen out on the pool deck. It would be more interesting than what's usually shown on there anyway.

I agree.

The painful truth is many who remove the Auto tips and profess to have given individual "cash tips only" are not giving as much as would have been charged on Auto tips!

$12 per day per person,on a 7 night cruise thats minimum $168 per twin share cabin for adults.

If there were no auto tips I cant see me ever dishing out $168 cash to the room stewards and MDR wait staff!

On another note,In my opinion its fine for those on a budget to pay what they think they can afford,its a tip after all and not compulsory.

Den

I'm sorry if this sounds snobbish, but then those couples or families that can't afford this mere pittance to the people who serve them, should seriously consider camping.

I'm sorry if this sounds snobbish, but then those couples or families that can't afford this mere pittance to the people who serve them, should seriously consider camping.

glrounds,

We camped until this past summer and sold our camper a few months ago; it was too expensive! Now we just cruise. :D

Yes totally snobbish :rolleyes: because an all inclusive holiday should also include "service charges" like any other all inclusive holiday.

You have obviously never been broke enough to let the amount of tips affect weather you leave them on or not and that is fine.

Cruise lines around the world are advertising lower prices to attract lower income families and employing staff that will accept sub standard to "Local" pay rates and conditions because they are not so sub standard to them or in their own country.

Why give an option in the first place to remove Auto tips, and dangle such a carrot in front of people? Because it looks good in the lower price advert before taxes and graduates are added.

My theory stands that many who can afford auto tips remove them in favour of individual tipping so they hand out less Dollars in the end and can hide behind some kind of elitism when they are really just counting costs,same as the people who remove tips.

Den

The way I roll:

1. Auto tips on. No drama.

2. Room steward gets $50 cash first day...bada bing....done....

end of story.....enjoy my cruise....

Maxx, out.

:cool:

This works well for me too,only I feel obliged to leave something for the MRD staff because I always choose a set dinning time and get whatever I want without question and mostly without asking,so worth it.

Den

I would never remove auto tip. Have read a book about working on a cruise ship and was very enlightening as to behind the scenes.

Total respect for the workers who put in the long hours and are away from there families for a lengthy period of time.

Will tip extra everyday on my next cruise also. And yes they do appreciate it as cash is non traceable. Maybe it will help provide a little more for a worker who has LITTLE one at home.

Take a few minutes to talk to your cabin steward,waiter, waitress, bartender, you will hear some very good stories.

"a week of fantastic service (I have NEVER had anything less on Carnival)"

Really? My first cruise was impeccable service, my second not bad at all. My last, several problems and a few grumpy staff. Though, we all have bad days, Several never acknowledged us or smiled and twice we had room issues, one night we had a no show steward, so before bed I went down to the desk to get the next day's FunTimes and make a comment. Even watched 4 get into a verbal argument in the buffet. Even then my auto gratuity stayed. I am pretty lenient, my wife adjusted hers though slightly. It was a nice cruise never the less, and some staff made up for it with splendid service and treatment.

Never had less than fantastic? I wanna cruise with you.

I'll add 2 things, 1.) The verbal fight of four over who will clean up the spilled salad ( btw, my wife did in front of them) was entertaining for the several groups of people watching this all had smiles and treated it like a floor show. Afterwards the staff did look embarassed.

2.) I work in the tourism business and deal with tourists daily. I know how they on board can have a bad day. I just wish my employer allowed us, who work with the public all day, to accept tips. Then again, I atleast am paid a living wage.

You sound like my mother-in-law. If she didn't have fantastic service, then I couldn't have had fantastic service, in her mind.

I might be mistaken, but I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign account. :confused:

Not true. The entire tip amount per person is added to your S&S the first day, and will be charged to your CC, at the end of the cruise, unless you adjust them, or remove them.

Just because the staff:

Works long hours

Work day after day for months

Make little pay

Are away from their family

We have to take this into consideration when tipping?

I don't buy it. Do the job well, you'll get the gratuity, do it very well and above and beyond..then more you may get.

To me the personal things about there job make no difference at all. They have a choice of professions.

Yes, I tip.

I see nothing wrong with the crew knowing who has removed auto tips.

I also think auto tips are convenient, vacation time is precious to me and the last thing I want to do is search out servers, stewards and whoever to give them cash. Its charged to my account and I don’t have to worry about it.

I do believe in tipping and I also believe that they should have a line with a sign stating “tip removal “ for those who wish to remove them.

Carnival couldn't register their ships in the U.S. if the wanted to. The ships have to be built here in the U.S. to be registered here.

Don't let these post get you upset. If you prepaid your tips the stewards/waiters will get it.

Why would Carnival not give it to them. How long do you think people would work on the ship if Carnival kept their money?

Would you keep going to work if you didn't get paid?

Bill

The ships have to be built here in the U.S. to be registered here.

I think that statement requires additional research

Not true. The entire tip amount per person is added to your S&S the first day, and will be charged to your CC, at the end of the cruise, unless you adjust them, or remove them.

For me, this is incorrect. Maybe it differs from ship to ship, but on the Liberty last June, my S&S was charged DAILY for the tip, per person. I could go onto the TV in the cabin and see the charges (as well as my DWs Drink of the Day) added each day.

The ships have to be built here in the U.S. to be registered here.

I think that statement requires additional research

I seem to recall reading, probably on the NCL board many moons ago that the rule is that the ship has to be built in the US or obtain an excemption from Congress to have a US flagged ship. The big problem from what I recall is the US doesn't have the facilities to build a large cruise ship.

Archived