Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

And you think it is OK to look at a list generated for the steward not you.

Would you like for someone to pull your S&S from your cabin mailbox and check your charges.

IMO it was not your business.

Actually, if it's in public, he/she can do as he pleases.

Removing it from a device clearly designed to prevent such snooping is different. At least to me...

YMMV

Why is it their responsibility to pay the workers and not the cruise line?

Because that is what the cruise lines have decided, and we all know that when stepping on board. It may not be right, but it is what it is. Making a point at the expense of hard working cruise employees is just crappy.

And you could SEE this list? You know it was only of people who hadn't paid tips? I am genuinly shocked. That is so unprofessional I just can't believe it.

Why should you be shocked? The tips to the stewards have to be shared with those behind the scenes-laundry, assistant steward, any others who help the steward. Same thing with the waiters-cooks, assistant waiters, etc. etc.

The stewards KNOW in advance who hasn't paid and that the money they DO receive will be diluted by those they have to share with.

No different than being a waiter/waitress in a restaurant and having to share with the bus boy/bartender. EXCEPT you have different clientele every meal. So what you loose one night when you share is usually made up the next night or two. Stewards and waiters on cruise ships DO NOT have that advantage because there is no turnover. Once it is lost, it is just lost. No chance to make it up in a day or two.

Why should you be shocked? The tips to the stewards have to be shared with those behind the scenes-laundry, assistant steward, any others who help the steward. Same thing with the waiters-cooks, assistant waiters, etc. etc.

No different than being a waiter/waitress in a restaurant and having to share with the bus boy/bartender. EXCEPT you have different clientele every meal. So what you loose one night when you share is usually made up the next night or two. Stewards and waiters on cruise ships DO NOT have that advantage because there is no turnover. Once it is lost, it is just lost. No chance to make it up in a day or two.

not they don't. what the steward gets, the steward keeps, unless he hires someone to help him.

same with your wait staff.

This is not "new" news. Yes, they have a list and so does the kitchen. When we took the behind the scenes tour we actually saw the list posted on the wall in the kitchen area. The service staff have the right to know who will be tipping and who will not. That is why many who tip in cash usually let the roomsteward/ waiter know in advance so they don't feel they are getting cut short. We always tip, so it dosn't bother us. Think this would only bother those who don't tip.

The people that don't tip are cheap idiots.

What is the difference if they charge the $11 per person as a mandatory fee or raise all fare that amount?

You are still paying the wages of the employees.

You do the idiots think are paying for the salaries of the workers? You do. Don’t care if you pay through tips or added cost of meals etc. you are paying the wages for people in the service industry.

On my way to the port, the ship leaves at five and will pay the tips.

This should also end this thread.

What is the difference if they charge the $11 per person as a mandatory fee or raise all fare that amount?

for the same reason restaurants don't just add the tips to the price of their meals on your menu.

thread continues.....

Tips are added in one lump sum, at the beginning of your cruise as I recall. I have been prepaying my tips on my past few cruises. That way, if by chance I am on a tight budget, they are already taken care of! I don't understand why people choose to remove tips and then say they are going to give a cash tip. What difference does it make?

so if you prepay tips, does that mean you do not tip at all during the cruise. I am really confused by this as I am a new cruiser. Not sure who exactly the prepaid tips go to. Thanks for any responses. I am not trying to get out of tipping for good service, but don't want to spend unnecessary $ double tipping. :)

so if you prepay tips, does that mean you do not tip at all during the cruise. I am really confused by this as I am a new cruiser. Not sure who exactly the prepaid tips go to. Thanks for any responses. I am not trying to get out of tipping for good service, but don't want to spend unnecessary $ double tipping. :)

This is exactly what I was thinking about! It's all so confusing.

What really! So we aren't really drinkers, my hubby will get a soda sticker. Will he be charged 15% each time they hand him a pop?

no. it'll be on the price you pay for the program. plus tax if you purchase it while still in port.

Because that is what the cruise lines have decided, and we all know that when stepping on board. It may not be right, but it is what it is. Making a point at the expense of hard working cruise employees is just crappy.

Since it is not a mandatory charge of the cruise, It is not the passengers olbigation.

Just all the passengers including me leave the auto tips in place.

Not saying this is going to happen but years ago on the Big Red Boat, during the days of tipping in envelopes, we kept missing the room steward. So on the departure morning, I decided to leave the envelope on the dresser.

However when we got off the ship, our luggage was not waiting at the Pier.

I often wondered if this was because the room steward thought we stiffed him as he was taking care of the luggage the previous evening when he didn't get his tip.

But I will never really know

You are still paying the wages of the employees.

You do the idiots think are paying for the salaries of the workers? You do. Don’t care if you pay through tips or added cost of meals etc. you are paying the wages for people in the service industry.

On my way to the port, the ship leaves at five and will pay the tips.

This should also end this thread.

Then why don't the cruise lines make the tips part of the cruise fare. That way cruisers know what the full cost is upfront? Why do they continue to mislead the customers in the true cost of the cruise?

Good heavens. I don't care if they know who tips. I care if they are carrying around a list and (as people here have suggested) altering their service based on it. I leave the tips on. If it's a list from the last cruise, great. I can't believe that so many people don't think it's unproffesional. If I was at an 8 top and everyone asked for seconds and 2 people didn't get the seconds or didn't get refills and it was because they had removed their autotips and it was some "payback" from the dining room staff, I think that is unprofesional. they paid to go on the cruise, they paid for the meals and beverages. They paid for the pool and the port fees. To think if you don't tip BEFORE receiving good service is a reason to demonstrate BAD service, is part of what is wrong with our country IMO. You don't HAVE to tip. It's the right thing to do. You SHOULD tip. Even if you get bad service i think you should tip. In my experience, unless someone has personally knowingly caused something to be subpar, I think you should tip and complain if you must. Sometimes the cook makes the food the way they want and the server has no control over it. Sometimes the managers have them running around like crazy in the back and they can't get out to refill your drink. But to think that some people DESERVE bad service because they haven't "shown gratitude in advance" to someone for their service is elitist IMO. What if I hand my steward a $50 bill every morning. Hopefully they would go out of their way to help me out. But to think the neighbors who left their autotips on received minimum care because of me is petty and vindictive.

Well I think you (you know who you are) should make your own bed,cook for self,do own dishes, clean up after yourselves ,find own entertainment. These people work hard so you don't have anything ,to do for a whole week. so please stop complaining about tipping. I think they deserve more. FOR A 7 DAYS I DONT HAVE A THING TO DO BUT HAVE FUN. THANKS CARNIVAL CRUISE EMPLOYERS.

Then why don't the cruise lines make the tips part of the cruise fare. That way cruisers know what the full cost is upfront? Why do they continue to mislead the customers in the true cost of the cruise?

If people actually read their cruise documents, they would have all of the information they needed. There is no misleading of any passenger, you just have people who refuse to become informed even though the information is provided for them.

It could have been from the previous cruise to help them keep track of much they got in tips.

I don't see any problem with prepay. Either way I am paying it. Pay cash, credit card , coming out of this pocket or that pocket at the end It comes from my bankroll. Prepay makes it a lot easier and I don't have to chase them down and grandstand giving it to them.

Sorry just a quick question regarding the tips. If I already pre-paid our tips when booking, do they charge us again for any tips on board? Thanks.

If you have pre-paid gratuities, the only other tips they will charge on board would be 15% auto-tip for beverage purchases. Other optional tips might include spa services, Camp Carnival staff, additional to room steward or waiter, etc.

Well I think you (you know who you are) should make your own bed,cook for self,do own dishes, clean up after yourselves ,find own entertainment. These people work hard so you don't have anything ,to do for a whole week. so please stop complaining about tipping. I think they deserve more. FOR A 7 DAYS I DONT HAVE A THING TO DO BUT HAVE FUN. THANKS CARNIVAL CRUISE EMPLOYERS.

Then tell the cruise lines to pay them more.

If people actually read their cruise documents, they would have all of the information they needed. There is no misleading of any passenger, you just have people who refuse to become informed even though the information is provided for them.

And none of the cruise documents or contracts state the passengers MUST TIP OR PAY the cruise lines employees.

I'm sorry if this sounds snobbish, but then those couples or families that can't afford this mere pittance to the people who serve them, should seriously consider camping.

Careful what you say Navy!! I just blew a bundle on brand new RV and will be a camper. :D

I agree with you 100%. If this very modest addition is too much perhaps those cheapskates should not be on board. I suspect that for the most part these people are just downright Staff Stiffers! :

Archived