Flight after cruise

richrhon1

Is there any insurance that covers missing a flight due to late arrival of ship into port. I am reading a lot about Tampa port delaying ships arrivals due to fog and I am concerned I will miss my flight home and have to pay higher fare plus fare changes. Any idea which is the best insurance for this scenario?

Thanks for your help.

Is there any insurance that covers missing a flight due to late arrival of ship into port. I am reading a lot about Tampa port delaying ships arrivals due to fog and I am concerned I will miss my flight home and have to pay higher fare plus fare changes. Any idea which is the best insurance for this scenario?

Thanks for your help.

If you look at most major plans you'll see they usually have some sort of travel delay or mnissed connection coverage that applies to these types of situations. Just be sure to read the wording carefully. For example, this is from a Travel Guard plan:

"TRIP DELAY

The Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit(s) shown on the Schedule for Reasonable Additional Expenses until travel becomes possible if the Insured’s Trip is delayed 5 or more consecutive hours from reaching their intended Destination for one of the Unforeseen events listed below:

(a) reasons listed under Trip Cancellation and Interruption;

(b) Common Carrier delay;

© the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s lost or stolen passports, travel documents, or money;

(d) the insured being involved in or delayed due to a traffic accident while en route to a departure as substantiated by a police report.

Incurred expenses must be accompanied by receipts.

This benefit is payable for only one delay per Insured, per Trip."

Just to be sure, you'd want to check their definition of a "common carrier":

“Common Carrier” means an air, land, or sea conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.

So you're good there.

The other thing you need to check is how they measure the "5 or more consecutive hours". Maybe the ship was only 4 hours late but that was enough to make you miss the flight and the next available one isn't until the following morning 24 hours later. How long was your delay -- 5 hours or 24 hours? You'll need to call them to find out.

Archived