Voyager vibrations and aft noise

Just off of Voyager today in New Orleans. We had stateroom 7688, an aft corner. We are "aft lovers," and the balcony was absolutely fantastic. However, this was our first aft on the Voyager-class, and found it quite noisy. On other ships, we've had no issues whatsoever. However, on this sailing, the noise was quite annoying. There was a constant "rumble," almost like jet engine. It was not relaxing at all. Has anyone else ever experienced this on the Voyager class? It was so bad that we said we would never go aft on that class again.....Also, the entire ship had a constant vibrating. It didn't matter where we were on the ship...forward, mid, aft...there was always a slight vibration. Sure, we've experienced a slight vibration here and there in the past, but this lasted all week long. In 29 cruises, we've never had issues like this, so perhaps Voyager just needs a little TLC.......

Just off of Voyager today in New Orleans. We had stateroom 7688, an aft corner. We are "aft lovers," and the balcony was absolutely fantastic. However, this was our first aft on the Voyager-class, and found it quite noisy. On other ships, we've had no issues whatsoever. However, on this sailing, the noise was quite annoying. There was a constant "rumble," almost like jet engine. It was not relaxing at all. Has anyone else ever experienced this on the Voyager class? It was so bad that we said we would never go aft on that class again.....Also, the entire ship had a constant vibrating. It didn't matter where we were on the ship...forward, mid, aft...there was always a slight vibration. Sure, we've experienced a slight vibration here and there in the past, but this lasted all week long. In 29 cruises, we've never had issues like this, so perhaps Voyager just needs a little TLC.......

Can I ask you a question off topic? I see you have as many as 12 or 13 cruises a year. How do you do that? Between the cost, and typically 3 weeks vacation a year, pets needing sitting, etc., I'm lucky to even get away once a year! Are your cruises short durations, like long weekends? Do you live near a port? Have the availability to travel on short notice and pick up great deals? Would love to hear now you do it!

Can I ask you a question off topic? I see you have as many as 12 or 13 cruises a year. How do you do that? Between the cost, and typically 3 weeks vacation a year, pets needing sitting, etc., I'm lucky to even get away once a year! Are your cruises short durations, like long weekends? Do you live near a port? Have the availability to travel on short notice and pick up great deals? Would love to hear now you do it!

They live in Chicago, so definitely not near a port! Most of those ships sail itineraries that are at least 5 days, but most are 7+, with quite a few that are at least 12 days long. I would love to know too!

We live in Chicago, and no ship is based here yet! LOL. We are airline crewmembers so we fly for free. No airfare when we fly to a departure port! As flight attendants, our schedules are VERY flexible. We typically fly for 3 days in a row, then have 3 days in a row off. However, we can trade our schedules around with other crewmembers. So, I'll end up flying about 15 days in a row, then have about 15 days OFF in a row...very convenient for booking cruises. Sometimes "travel industry" rates are offered, and we take advantage of that, since we don't have to worry about last minute airfare. We're very lucky to be able to take advantage of this situation. The funny thing is....we always thought we would hate cruising, and never went with our friends who bugged us to go. Once we finally tried it, we just haven't looked back. We made it from zero to Diamond Plus in about 2 years!

We live in Chicago, and no ship is based here yet! LOL. We are airline crewmembers so we fly for free. No airfare when we fly to a departure port! As flight attendants, our schedules are VERY flexible. We typically fly for 3 days in a row, then have 3 days in a row off. However, we can trade our schedules around with other crewmembers. So, I'll end up flying about 15 days in a row, then have about 15 days OFF in a row...very convenient for booking cruises. Sometimes "travel industry" rates are offered, and we take advantage of that, since we don't have to worry about last minute airfare. We're very lucky to be able to take advantage of this situation. The funny thing is....we always thought we would hate cruising, and never went with our friends who bugged us to go. Once we finally tried it, we just haven't looked back. We made it from zero to Diamond Plus in about 2 years!

Wow! That's awesome!

10 or more years ago, the Empress of the Seas out of Puerto Rico on our trip and a friend of ours a few weeks before us, that every time the ship was to leave a port, etc., there was a terrible vibration until it got going, every night when we were in the dining room, when the ship was pulling out, everything on the table was shaking, etc., we would just comment "I guess the Ship needs a new transmission".

Went on my first cruise 4 years ago, at the grand age of 48. Two weeks from today will be my third at 52. I too never thought I would like it.

Now I wish I had your job:):).

We live in Chicago, and no ship is based here yet! LOL. We are airline crewmembers so we fly for free. No airfare when we fly to a departure port! quote]

We've done aft twice on Vger, once in 7388 and it was my favorite cabin! We did experience a slight vibration and one night we went through a blow and experienced quite a bit of rocking and a couple cabinet doors came open, we just closed our eyes and slept right through it. I would say its sort of like a very bumpy flight with turbulence on your planes. If the ship goes through weather or rough seas and needs the stabelizers out it can make a difference in the ride and the noise. Then of course Vger is getting a little long in the tooth. We love the aft cabins. And Vger and now Mariner.:D

We had this happen a couple years ago on the Jewel and we had an aft cabin. I asked the Captain about it during a bridge tour, and he answered that in rougher seas using he stabilizers can cause some vibration.

Good for you!

I was on this same sailing...the seas were very very VERY rough, especially the first couple of days and the last couple... there was a point in the MDR on Sunday night when if you looked out one window all you saw was sky and look out the other side and all you saw was sea, and then 20 seconds later it was the opposite....

We were mid ship, deck 3 ocean view and we heard the noise and felt the vibration as well. It was the ships stabilizers and frankly I'm glad we had them. I'd like to know to what degree the ship was listing in those rough seas. I've heard voyager can handle up to a 45 degree list and we had to be close to that on that Sunday....

Archived