Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

I could honestly care less.....this isn't about the contract, IMHO. It's about the frivolous lawsuits that are being filed by the people who only lost their personal belongings. The post below sums it up well. And FWIW, I AM a survivor of PTSD and know what is involved with recovery for same. I agree with the quote below 100%.

You keep using legal terms like "frivolous" when you have no idea what the legal definition is. What you really mean is that you believe their cases are NOT frivolous. You just believe that they are asking for too much. Well, they probably are in much the same way Carnival's $15K offer is a lowball. At the end of the day, this will get settled somewhere in between.

I was talking about people slipping and falling in a store for that comment. How many people have $14,000 worth of stuff in their cabin? Honestly?

You would be shocked how quickly you can get up to 14K in replacement value for the items in your cabin especially for a woman with jewelry, make-up, etc. Let's just start the list...

laptop $1400

digital camera $100

iPhone $400 (replacement from eBay)

Kindle w case $200

suitcase $225

duffel bag $25

Make-up $425

Make-up bag $25

Formal Dresses (2) $500

Necklaces (3) $2000

Earrings (3) $1500

Tennis bracklet $800

Up to $7600 and haven't even really gotten started yet....

Why is it that these Costa Concordia customers are attempting to sue the Carnival Corp for all of this money and most of them were not even hurt? Have we as people gotten so greedy that we have to use a misfortune to become rich? I can see if you really were hurt or a loved one was killed or harmed etc... But Really? If you had the money to sail on the ship for heavens sakes and make it off safely, is that not enough? The Captain is going to Jail and your getting your money back from your cruise. Why am I thoroughly disgusted by this greed?

Wow, really? You have no clue do you? This is a wasted thread. I am thoroughly disgusted by this post.

I think that someone who's life was put into grave danger due to the negligence of the Master has pretty good case. Especially considering a Safety Drill had not been held. As I recall many of those passengers had to take it upon themselves to survive.

Mind you as a Stock Holder in the Corp I am not happy about this...but I can see it coming!

But the majority of people the $14,000 would cover. I'm sure if you can prove you brought all that it would be covered also. I don't bring a lot of expensive jewelry.

Actually I am making the case that there is a majority of people on a cruise ship where $14K would barely cover the replacement costs of the items in their cabin. Even for a male when you start adding dress suits at $300, polo shirts at $30 each, bathing suits at $20 each, sneakers at $80, etc. - the total cost adds up quickly. The total replacement value is much higher than you think.

I would challenge you to do an exercise and list out the replacement costs for the items that you commonly take on a cruise and figure out their replacement value. My wife and I could easily get up to $12K each and that list is probably missing items, and does not include items acquired via shopping on the trip.

At best for many Concordia cruisers - the $14K only represents an amount with a couple thousand dollar buffer.

I will make the point that the $14K from Costa is to cover the items in your cabin, there is not a separate payment beyond the $14K for these items. Private cruise insurance will not cover these items because the cruise line is already paying you for them.

And beyond that the cost of transportation to and from the port- signifcant for those coming from outside of Italy, vacation time lost for what can hardly be called a vacation, planning and shopping time prior to the cruise. And those are just the basic costs of lost goods and out of pocket expenses.

I was talking about people slipping and falling in a store for that comment. How many people have $14,000 worth of stuff in their cabin? Honestly?

Plenty of people.

One engagement ring could *easily* be worth 25K for a nice 1 carat ring. One nice men's watch, 700 dollars. Nice binoculars, 200 dollars (not a swarovski, which would be easily 1K)... camers and video camera, 1K. Good quality flashlight, 100 dollars.

Not to mention LV purses (1K right there, and LV wallets, 400 dollars, LV coin purse, 150 dollars).

Evening gown, 500 dollars. Tux and accouterments 500 dollars. Tux shoes, 100 dollars.

ETA: eye glasses 400 dollars, prescription sunglasses, 400 dollars

iphone 200 dollars, ipad 600.00

My hair flat iron was over 100 dollars.

(I don't do the next one): smuggled booze lost at sea: 100 dollars easy

It adds up.

And the problem is, Carnival insulted and low balled the passengers. A fair offer would have been IMO at least 50K a person to cover stuff, trauma, negligence, future therapy costs, time and inconvenience.

The uninjured passengers have been offered approximately $14,500 each plus a refund of their cruise and travel costs as well as onboard expenses. Some people think that's fair....some think its not.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

That wouldn't even cover the cost of my Rolex that I leave in the safe on some nights.

Ok just to clarify, never once said I was a Lawyer but was asked a question that I answered... Bad move because of people such as yourself who try to use those answers against me. See what you don't understand when the question about me taking higher Ed law classes was asked, I was supposed to respond as having none, but to his surprise that wasn't the case further supporting the fact that you are entitled to an opinion whether you have law classes or not. The same with the fact when stating that I was a clinical therapist, I was presented with not knowing anything about PTSD and then my own profession was revealed. Lastly, the cute little statement about the Concordia simply pulling into port, disembarking and not leaving port yet.... Not my statement but it was ingenious might I add. Oh yeah and associates level courses.... Sorry to disappoint but they were post Doctorate graduate level courses. ( don't wanna burst your bubble) oops, there I go divulging stuff about me again... Watch it'll come back up later

I'm not using anything against you, that is just silly. I simply said you don't understand the law, regardless of classes taken. Honestly, I would be saying the same thing even if you were a lawyer.

I made it clear the statement in quotations wasn't yours. I don't have a dog in this fight and honestly couldn't care less what your opinion is. I'm not trying to change it. Waste of my time.

Here is an interesting story about the difficulty in trying to sue a cruiseline in an accident like this. Its talking about victims on the MS Sea Diamond accident about 5 years ago at the Greek island of Santorini, where the ship ran aground on some volcanic rock that apparently wasn't on the charts....it capsized and sank....they thought everyone had been saved but then it was learned 2 people were missing. There are a lot of similarities between this case and the Concordia's. The article talks about who was blamed as well as the cruise line contracts we have when we cruise...trying to file a lawsuit here in the USA...etc.....an interesting read:

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-laws-leave-cruise-ship-victims-sea-061402645.html

I'm really troubled by some posters who claim the survivors are "greedy," etc. Unless you have been in someone's shoes who has been through something like this - those words are unnecessarily harsh. I was involved in an airplane accident many years ago and walked away physically fine - mentally unbalanced and traumatized. When you call them greedy - you, in effect, call all victims of these types of incidents greedy. I needed some therapy, I couldn't work for awhile, etc. I'm fine now - but please don't assume anyone is greedy or out to get rich. I'd rather be penniless and free of this type of trauma then have to experience this and receive, for example, $30,000 - trust me - there is no compensation for that type of trauma.

If I was on that ship, got off, unharmed, not injured, received compensation for my passport or money ( dont care for the clothes) plus $14,500 I would be fine with that. Was it terrifying for people? Sure! However is money going to erase what happened? Is money going to stop nightmares? NO!!! It becomes greed at that point

Exactly

I'm really troubled by some posters who claim the survivors are "greedy," etc. Unless you have been in someone's shoes who has been through something like this - those words are unnecessarily harsh. I was involved in an airplane accident many years ago and walked away physically fine - mentally unbalanced and traumatized. When you call them greedy - you, in effect, call all victims of these types of incidents greedy. I needed some therapy, I couldn't work for awhile, etc. I'm fine now - but please don't assume anyone is greedy or out to get rich. I'd rather be penniless and free of this type of trauma then have to experience this and receive, for example, $30,000 - trust me - there is no compensation for that type of trauma.

Exactly!!

###

No....the money pays yours bills when those nightmares make you miss work and need therapy. I really find it amusing how many posters dont grasp this concept

Get outta here with that BS!! When has nightmares ever made anyone miss work???

I completely disagree. Those that lost their life or had a family member lost absolutely should get a big settlement. My argument is only for those who lost personal belongings and otherwise walked away. They are the ones getting 15K pp, a complete refund of their cruise, and expenses home. That is plenty.

Exactly....

Archived