Beaches in Freeport

mo gal

This will be our first trip to Freeport what is the best and safest beach to go to. Thanks in advance.

There are great beaches that are secluded and wonderful and there are safe beaches....

If this is your first time either go with the flow and take a cab/van to Port Lucaya... wander the shops and head over to the beach in front of the resort. You can rent all kinds of watersports and even get one of those "daybeds" for a fee. This area is very safe with Bahamian police around. You can still get accosted by the occasional guy trying to sell you "something" but a firm "NO" will do.

Another option is the Viva Fortuna excursion thru Carnival (if not on Carnival you can do it on your own) that includes travel to and from. The Viva is an all-inclusive with OK food and unlimited drinks both hard and soft. Great frozen daqs! It is about a 2.5 star resort but great for a daytrip. We have stayed in the resort in years past and enjoyed. The cost $100 per adult and $75 for children. If you go on your own it's $60 (I think) per person plus travel costs which can be hefty. I paid $45 plus tip for 4 several years ago one way.

Good Luck! and have a great trip.

If you have a full day. Rent a car and drive to Gold Rock Beach. It is in the top 5 for beaches I have been to in my life. Including St. John, Hawaii, you name it. It is a good drive east on the island. Maybe 45 minutes. But it is worth it. When my family of 4 went we were the only ones on that beautiful mile long beach. We were just out exploring that day and none of us had our bathing suits on. So we all just went swimming in our underwear. :)

We actually were not on a cruise. We went for 4 nights over spring break a couple of years ago. Grand Bahama is much less crowded than Nassau. The people are awesome. Remember that they drive on the other side of the road. (if your an American). It took some getting used to. You will see alot of damaged buildings and trees on the drive from a past hurricane. Gold Rock is located in a Natl Park. The walk to the beach is awesome (I wont spoil it for you). We rented a car from one of the resorts there. (they picked us up from our hotel). If you have the time. Make the trip it really is nice.

We actually were not on a cruise. We went for 4 nights over spring break a couple of years ago. Grand Bahama is much less crowded than Nassau. The people are awesome. Remember that they drive on the other side of the road. (if your an American). It took some getting used to. You will see alot of damaged buildings and trees on the drive from a past hurricane. Gold Rock is located in a Natl Park. The walk to the beach is awesome (I wont spoil it for you). We rented a car from one of the resorts there. (they picked us up from our hotel). If you have the time. Make the trip it really is nice.

are there any amenities at Gold Rock? Can you snorkel there? chairs, drinks, etc?

are there any amenities at Gold Rock? Can you snorkel there? chairs, drinks, etc?

Gold Rock Beach can be accessed through Lucayan National Park. There are no amenities to speak of at the park. There is a restroom in the parking lot, and usually a Bahamian around selling drinks and snacks.

The snorkeling near the beach is not that great - mostly seagrass and sand. If you swim out to gold rock reef offshore there is a lot of coral and sealife to view. You should do this during low tide as it is a distance, and bring a buddy along. The beach is glorious though - one of the most beautiful I've seen!

Archived